John McGinn

PompeyVillan

I think most of us love John. He has a great bustling energy about his game and he can make things happen (Especially if further forward) however he kind of puts the game on the line with his style. It either makes something happen or he loses possession which is ok when further forward to a point but in a more defensive position it's actually quite costly as when he loses it the opposition are practically through onto our backline. At least that's how it looks to me. 

Another player not in the best position for his style in my eyes along with Luiz.

• Like 3

No sentimentality in football, he should have been benched many times before.

I like McGinn too but he is a bottom-half PL or Championship player due to his woeful inconsistency.

We desperately need more quality and assuredness in the middle, he's a headless chicken.

Edited by Zhan_Zhuang

8 hours ago, danceoftheshamen said:

I think most of us love John. He has a great bustling energy about his game and he can make things happen (Especially if further forward) however he kind of puts the game on the line with his style. It either makes something happen or he loses possession which is ok when further forward to a point but in a more defensive position it's actually quite costly as when he loses it the opposition are practically through onto our backline. At least that's how it looks to me. 

Another player not in the best position for his style in my eyes along with Luiz.

Such a myth. 

14 minutes ago, sparrow1988 said:

Ah come on. For the first 5 minutes he buzzes around the place, flying in to tackles. Unfortunately that’s usually it. 

It's where the myth comes from tbf. Those 2 or 3 moments are what people remember rather than actually looking at his game as a whole.

• Like 1

I remember when we first signed McGinn there was talk that it was to replace Grealish (who was supposedly off to Spurs) because he played a similar role for Hibs. Pretty sure Bruce used him as a winger or else off the striker. It's mad how we've all just become used to him as a deeper midfielder now. Maybe he should be challenging Coutinho or Buendia for one of their spots or else replacing them off the bench.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, lexicon said:

It's where the myth comes from tbf. Those 2 or 3 moments are what people remember rather than actually looking at his game as a whole.

Yeah I know, I was being facetious.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, CVByrne said:

Totally agree. I think if we can keep Luiz we move him to 8. He's much better on the ball and will make a better impact in the 8 role than McGinn 

I'm tempted to replace Luiz too if he doesn't sign a new deal on decent terms for us.

18 hours ago, MakemineVanilla said:

No matter the diagnosis, it does seem that the conclusion makes its way back to the failure to recruit a midfielder with the right mixture of defensive and passing skills.

Gerrard might recall forming a very well balanced partnership with Gareth Barry for England, which looked very promising for a while.

I am sure Gerrard knows what the essence of the problem is......I am very surprised we wasn't able to remedy it in Jan.

I am not in a position to comment on the competency of the recruitment team.....but I guess, they tried ,but failed to get one.

I hope they are working on it now, and not leave it until the last minute.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, El-Reacho said:

I remember when we first signed McGinn there was talk that it was to replace Grealish (who was supposedly off to Spurs) because he played a similar role for Hibs. Pretty sure Bruce used him as a winger or else off the striker. It's mad how we've all just become used to him as a deeper midfielder now. Maybe he should be challenging Coutinho or Buendia for one of their spots or else replacing them off the bench.

glad you mentioned it.....where this role has come from, I'll be buggered?....He is far better, further up field , mind you his first touch, could be better.

I can only assume, that he can be a bit physical, but that doesn't make him a good tackler.......Sid Cowans and Mark Delaney could tackle.

Edited by TRO

McGinn, for me, is a player we want to keep. He needs to reel it in some right now. However he is better than what we are seeing recently, and even recently he has moments that few can do as he does, and that's if they even have the balls to try.

Whether it's a shot from range, or an audacious pass to play a team mate in, or his notorious bum to shield off opponents attempting to dispossess him, McGinn has a lot of quality. 

If he's not seen as one for our future by Gerrard and the management team then so be it. But I rate him highly and can see why United were rumoured to be interested. 

• Like 3

On 22/02/2022 at 13:30, The_Steve said:

Midfield is in need of major reform - if the right bids came in - I’d sell him and Luiz. 

I agree. I'd happily move Mcginn and Luiz on and replace them with two players that actually suit a system or play a dedicated role. McGinn is probably best as a no.10 (like he plays for Scotland) and Luiz as an 8. I don't think either are good enough in those positions for us to kick on. 

We could go for broke this Summer and really upheave the squad. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

I agree. I'd happily move Mcginn and Luiz on and replace them with two players that actually suit a system or play a dedicated role. McGinn is probably best as a no.10 (like he plays for Scotland) and Luiz as an 8. I don't think either are good enough in those positions for us to kick on. 

We could go for broke this Summer and really upheave the squad. 

I feel like we are heading towards a big upheaval and overhaul in the summer. Something will have to fundamentally change. 

1 minute ago, The_Steve said:

I feel like we are heading towards a big upheaval and overhaul in the summer. Something will have to fundamentally change. 

It has to Steve. There is a point where we all ask, 'why can't we get into the top half of the table?'. We can blame tactics and management all we like, and yes, they play their part, but fundamentally our players aren't good enough.
We can tip toe around it all we like and replace a player here or there but right now we have players like Watkins, McGinn, Luiz etc. who are at their maximum resale value. Their value won't be higher than it is now. 

All this talk about squad harmony and not rebuilding every Summer is fine, but we're going nowhere fast at the moment. Lets roll the dice. Set our stall out to try and bring in 75-100m in player sales and spend a further 100m to strengthen the side. It wouldn't bother me one jot if we had 5 new first teamers next season. This season has probably been one of the worst for the past 4/5 years in terms of how much I've enjoyed it. We're stagnant.

Lets go for it (within reason). 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

It has to Steve. There is a point where we all ask, 'why can't we get into the top half of the table?'. We can blame tactics and management all we like, and yes, they play their part, but fundamentally our players aren't good enough.
We can tip toe around it all we like and replace a player here or there but right now we have players like Watkins, McGinn, Luiz etc. who are at their maximum resale value. Their value won't be higher than it is now. 

All this talk about squad harmony and not rebuilding every Summer is fine, but we're going nowhere fast at the moment. Lets roll the dice. Set our stall out to try and bring in 75-100m in player sales and spend a further 100m to strengthen the side. It wouldn't bother me one jot if we had 5 new first teamers next season. This season has probably been one of the worst for the past 4/5 years in terms of how much I've enjoyed it. We're stagnant.

Lets go for it (within reason). 

I’m with you 100% - Gerrard and has staff realise just how poor a lot of the squad - which is reflective of the spend per player. I think some players haven’t developed and stagnated. There are management and tactical issues to iron out, just a lot of players simply aren’t good enough for the ambitions we have. We can’t be sentimental if we are to progress. 

Â