John McGinn

PompeyVillan

53 minutes ago, Stoobs said:

I thought he was the one player in midfield, in that second half, who was giving absolutely everything to get Villa back into into. Drove the team forward, disrupted their attacks, wicked ball into box last minute for Cash. I don’t read the other threads and don’t know if they get similarly abused for all the misplaced passes, lack of tracking back, lack of commitment that they show. The team isn’t playing well just now but for McGinn to be the main cause of that, I think is unfair. 

I think @MaVilla put it best here:

11 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

He seems to have some immunity to being dropped, no matter how he plays, its a terrible message to send to the squad.

This has been pretty much the same with Smith and now Gerrard, and when other players get dropped for playing badly but McGinn doesn't, that makes the fanbase more frustrated in general. 

3 minutes ago, birdman said:

Mr undroppable strikes again! I'm still a fan of John's obviously but baffled as to why he's untouchable. Play him in an attacking role or not at all. That is the bottom line.

It actually is. He either plays alongside Coutinho as a 10 or not at all and I don’t think he’s better than Buendia or Coutinho in that role. 

If a decent offer comes in this Summer, I think he needs to move on and we should attempt to try and replace him with better. 

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Stoobs said:

I thought he was the one player in midfield, in that second half, who was giving absolutely everything to get Villa back into into. Drove the team forward, disrupted their attacks, wicked ball into box last minute for Cash. I don’t read the other threads and don’t know if they get similarly abused for all the misplaced passes, lack of tracking back, lack of commitment that they show. The team isn’t playing well just now but for McGinn to be the main cause of that, I think is unfair. 

However a few around these parts (myself included) have said for years his mistakes often cost us dearly.

It's just prevalent now as many are sharing a similar view of him.

Yeah he drives Villa forward but yet gives the ball away and we concede (like today). He has a mistake or two in him Every Single Game and often it leads to a potential goalscoring chance for the opposition.

2 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

It actually is. He either plays alongside Coutinho as a 10 or not at all and I don’t think he’s better than Buendia or Coutinho in that role. 

If a decent offer comes in this Summer, I think he needs to move on and we should attempt to try and replace him with better. 

Yeah literally just rotate him with the other forward players if need be but SG needs to stop with this shoehorning. Its not working, the balance of midfield to the forward line is out of whack. Needs addressing number one priority in the summer!

1 hour ago, Villaphan04 said:

This has been pretty much the same with Smith and now Gerrard, and when other players get dropped for playing badly but McGinn doesn't, that makes the fanbase more frustrated in general. 

I remain convinced that McGinn has some compromising photos of Smith, but now realising that Gerrard must also be in these photos.

1 hour ago, Delphinho123 said:

Give him five games in a 10 role and he would frustrate just as much as he is now.

4 minutes ago, GingerCollins29 said:

With all respect, load of nonsense, he is consistently excellent for Scotland there.

For Scotland yes. They largely don't have much of the ball. We'd need more guile in those positions.

We've played McGinn further forward prevously, and guess what? People were moaning that he should be playing deeper as that's where he's had his best form for us, and truth be told they're probably right, if McGInn isn't playing well as CM then he shouldn't be playing at all. There seems to be this weird idea that if we only play our players in a different position they will suddenly turn into world beaters, not saying it's the case with McGInn or not, but a lot of them just aren't good enough, and when I say not good enough I don't mean that they're bad players per se, I mean they're midtable players at best, not good enough to be in the starting eleven for a team hoping to not only challenge for top six but to become a permanent memeber.

I think McGinn wastes so many good situations for us. We'll have a bit of the ball between the halfway line and the oppo's area, and most players will keep it short, and be patient until they wait for a clear opening to play a key pass. Whether this will be to a forward running off a defender in a dangerous area, an overlapping fullback ready to then make a cut back, or whatever.

But, it'll come to McGinn, and he'll very often float one into the box aimlessly. I think it's partly a lack of intelligence and partly a bit of fear when he has to try and play in tight spaces. But it's infuriating! And hardly ever leads to a clear chance.

2 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

I think McGinn wastes so many good situations for us. We'll have a bit of the ball between the halfway line and the oppo's area, and most players will keep it short, and be patient until they wait for a clear opening to play a key pass. Whether this will be to a forward running off a defender in a dangerous area, an overlapping fullback ready to then make a cut back, or whatever.

But, it'll come to McGinn, and he'll very often float one into the box aimlessly. I think it's partly a lack of intelligence and partly a bit of fear when he has to try and play in tight spaces. But it's infuriating! And hardly ever leads to a clear chance.

For this, you could replace McGinn with several other names

Has been my favourite player for most of he last few years. But love Villa more than Gerrard and Mcginn.... Thought he was intelligent, sublime and driven.  But realise now he's not good enough. Created more chances for the opposition this season than for us. Overweight and incapable of combining an international career with the rigours of the premier league. 

Â