New Manager Speculation

maqroll

So wait... we are sick of boring football so we are going to appoint the assistant manager of the most consistently boring manager in the country right now? Surely if we are going for someone with no experience they would at least want a hint of them doing something to take a team in a positive direction.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I swear to God this just happened. Fired up a game of Scrabble on my phone, and this was my opening set of letters: 

IMG_20181005_195825.png

I don't see any possible way to spell Henry with those letters.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, One For The Road said:

I am saying that it's highly unlikely we will sign a world class manager and I am being shouted down for it. 

As I have said now several times. 

Let's just see who we get.

You're not being shouted down, just being accused of being a wet blanket.

I usually agree with you on alot of things, but can't buy into repressing some hope for ambition.

Deep down the majority of us do not feel we will be signing elite management or Players.

However I have optimism that at the very least our appointments appointments will be closer to more creative upper echelons than they have been previously.

• Like 1

Just now, Adam2003 said:

So wait... we are sick of boring football so we are going to appoint the assistant manager of the most consistently boring manager in the country right now? Surely if we are going for someone with no experience they would at least want a hint of them doing something to take a team in a positive direction.

Understand the sentiment behind this post but he should be judged on his own merits as a manager. Which unfortunately is nothing. :lol:

• Haha 1

I’m not one to proclaim to be in the know but I was told today by a friend of Dean Smith that it’ll all be signed by Wednesday. I was told to lump on so that’s what I’ve done at 12/1 - time will tell if I’ve been had!

• Thanks 1

Not that it would happen or is even being looked into but just out of curiosity would people rather Wilder or Smith if it were a straight choice between them? I feel like being a Villa fan might be the only obvious advantage Smith has over Wilder.

59 minutes ago, villabromsgrove said:

I wonder whether we're trying to go for a "Name" rather than looking at an instant Championship upgrade with someone like Chris Wilder.

No great statement or upheaval, just a nailed on improvement may well be what we need right now.

Chris wilder is not a bad shout.......i guess a lot of logistical things like compensation come in to play.

I think he is a good manager, but also be aware, he went 9 games without a win last season and by his own admission had very little criticism, during that period.

not sure we have that patience.....but it all depends on the football being played, if its believable, but not getting results.......fans usually find patience.

1 hour ago, bannedfromHandV said:

You're obviously entitled to your opinion but I think people are equally as entitled to react to it. 

Whichever way you cut it, it's pretty far fetched. 

How old is Wenger now? Has he indicated anywhere that he's even considering anything other than retirement? 

I'd have him in the same bracket as Ferguson in that they both became completely institutionalised at their clubs, to the point that finding motivation to be a part of another club is inconceivable. 

Maybe I and others are wrong and you're right, hence you're entitled to your opinion but if you're seriously hoping for someone of Wengers ilk and stature then it's likely you may be disappointed when we come to making the hire(s).

I didn't say it was what I was expecting (because I'm not expecting it) but it's not the ridiculous impossibly people are making out. 

Wenger did say he wasn't going to retire when he left Arsenal. 

I do think DOF with a young protoge coach would suit him perfectly. 

I also think our very wealthy owners will have a compelling vision of the future to sell to somebody so I very much am expecting someone more impressive than Moyes or Smith. 

1 hour ago, One For The Road said:

Used to be a fitness coach but then became number 2 to Mourinho and followed him everywhere.

Never been a manager before but then neither has Henry or Arteta. 

Jose was Bobby Robsons no 2

they all have to start somewhere.