Best British TV comedies of all time

VILLAMARV

17 minutes ago, blandy said:

I loved that.

The piss-ant swamp.

Funny and surreal.

The nuns!

No one else watched 'A Very Peculiar Practice' then?

It is many years now since I saw this series, but I vividly and fondly remember David Troughton's performance as Bob Buzzard. Staggeringly selfish and self centred, he dominated the series. I loved him. One would expect no less from David Troughton, of course. Bob is up there with the other great TV monsters, Alan Partridge and David Brent.

Two successful series and a one-off "return" in 1992.This intriguing comedy based at a fictional university, satirically attacks changes to Britain, and in particular the entrenched establishments of the time,and the faceless,self-serving individuals that gained from their destructive demise.The university is plainly a metaphor of the country at that time,and the skillful script and expertise of the superb cast illustrate the changes then, as darker forces take over control of the university whilst the various departments and individuals fight for their own ends;like Bob Buzzard's refusal to accept that he may not graduate to a 'series 5 BMW',from his existing 'series 3',let alone his dream of a 'series 7',and all of this taking precedence over the fact that his wife and kids have left him, and his house is starting to fall apart all around him.Barbara Flynn's portrayal of Rose-Marie is one of the sexiest memories I have of that time.Strangely enough,although I seem to remember an obscure screening on a cable channel about ten years ago,the show,as best as I can tell,was never re-shown on UK television and was never released on video.Perhaps some nerves were touched in places that do not like to be touched?

Smashing it on IMDB's user reviews

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Anyone show that has keith lemon ends up bottle of the pile for me 

Celebrity Juice at it's peak was absolute gold to be fair. As was Bo Selecta (although he wasn't Keith Lemon then).

Both shows jumped the shark pretty quickly though.

3 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Anyone show that has keith lemon ends up bottle of the pile for me 

To be fair I think Lee Francis does have some comedic talent but I agree about his Lemon character being annoyingly awful.

• Like 1

The Fast show is when you think about it extremely weird and quite unique. 

They basically repeat the same joke several times an episode week after week series after series.  The same jokes over and over again. 

Yet it never felt boring or repetitive. Each episode felt fresh and new and never ever boring. 

In many ways making a great comedy show is like making love to a beautiful woman. You need to pound away again and again and again with technique which has reduced her to a quiver before, bring her to the boil with something a little different which is a twist on what you have tried before and then ensure to finish with a gag. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

I have to say, and I am certain this is an age thing but I cannot stand Keith Lemon or Noel Fielding. 

Worse of all is Johnny Vegas. Whenever I see him on telly the audience seem to all turn sycophantic desperately sniggering at nothing actually said constantly waiting for some comedy line which never seems to arrive. I just don't see it. 

To get more contemporary for me I've never found Vic and Bob remotely funny with one major exception. Shooting Stars which I am not sure has been mentioned on here? Very much a classic of its time and I still rub my thighs when playing up as a dirty old man. 

14 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I have to say, and I am certain this is an age thing but I cannot stand Keith Lemon or Noel Fielding. 

Worse of all is Johnny Vegas. Whenever I see him on telly the audience seem to all turn sycophantic desperately sniggering at nothing actually said constantly waiting for some comedy line which never seems to arrive. I just don't see it. 

To get more contemporary for me I've never found Vic and Bob remotely funny with one major exception. Shooting Stars which I am not sure has been mentioned on here? Very much a classic of its time and I still rub my thighs when playing up as a dirty old man. 

I swear Bob Mortimer is the funniest man ever to have existed, but agree some of Vic and Bob is a bit marmite.  Johnny Vegas seems to have got funnier the older and more sober he has got imo.  Agree about Lemon and Fielding, though the latter gets credit for Richmond in the IT Crowd.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, sidcow said:

The Fast show is when you think about it extremely weird and quite unique. 

They basically repeat the same joke several times an episode week after week series after series.  The same jokes over and over again. 

Yet it never felt boring or repetitive. Each episode felt fresh and new and never ever boring. 

The first sitcom really to tap in to the ‘anything is funny if you just repeat it often enough’ train of thought was Allo Allo. Every character just had a catchphrase they said every week. The typical episode; You are probably wondering, Good moaning, Listen very carefully, Rrrreeene, You stupid woman, It is I LeClerc, Bring zem in here, You may kiss me, My little tank, Ze flashing knobs etc

There were so many but somehow it worked.I loved it but even if you didn’t it had a way of ingraining itself into the psyche.

Fast show then took the same principles and elevated it to new levels. I mean in’t the fast show brilliant, it was like a comedy show that had jokes and stuff but then like had catchphrases and stuff too. Brilliant! 

(Oh, and if anyone asks...you ain’t seen me...right?!)

• Like 1

My favourites not in any order, off the top of my head. 

Rising Damp

Some Mothers Do Ave 'Em

Steptoe And Son 

Porridge 

Open All Hours

Only Fools And Horses

In Sickness And In Health 

Only When I Laugh 

Sorry 

Harry Enfield 

Royal Family 

Dads Army 

Edited by Rugeley Villa

9 hours ago, sidcow said:

That reminds me , a shout out to The Mary Whitehouse experience , M Kahn is bent , that’s you that is and Robert Smith ... had some great reoccurring themes  

• Like 2

Â