Best British TV comedies of all time

VILLAMARV

2 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Faulty towers is returning. Hmm not sure how i feel about this. Was a great show but i think the audience has changed now not sure how well it will do now

Yeah my immediate reaction was that John Cleese should leave it well alone.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Faulty towers is returning. Hmm not sure how i feel about this. Was a great show but i think the audience has changed now not sure how well it will do now

I don’t think I can watch that. Loved and still love the original and I feel like the chances he’ll do anything other than completely butcher it are almost negligable. He seems to have lost his touch completely. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, bickster said:

Yeah thats my feelings too. I think if this was about 10-15 ywars ago it might work but i have a feeling as @El Zen says he will butcher it.

Sort of what simon bird was saying about why they wouldnt do anymore inbetweeners as they scared they will ruin what a show it was, and they couldnt get away with the things they said back then now

I’ve never been that fussed about the original series in all honesty. 

It’s fine, there are bits that I think are very funny and I get why it’s revered.

But in the pantheon of “classic” sitcoms I have it some way below the likes of Porridge, Whatever Happened to the Likely Lads, Steptoe & Son, etc.

• Like 2

It’s not even that he'll butcher it. The original FT is just a wee bit too xenophobic for current mores, the humour is a time capsule of bygone times is one thing but how does that work in a modern “boutique” setting?

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, bickster said:

I literally just read the story on it and thought the same thing. It won’t work now I don’t think.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Another sacred cow I never found funny at all. File with Rik Mayall and Robin Williams. Never got it, didn’t find any of them or it funny. 

Man how can you not find rik mayall not funny? The guy was brilliant.

I absolutely loved bottom and drop dead fred. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Man how can you not find rik mayall not funny? The guy was brilliant.

I absolutely loved bottom and drop dead fred. 

Nothing at all, my wife loved Bottom and I just sat there stoney faced.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, It's Your Round said:

I bet she did ;)

Sorry that is my only contribution to OT in weeks.

I couldn't get round it, I was going to go down the filthy, rich and catflap route, but no, stuck with Bottom.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Nothing at all, my wife loved Bottom and I just sat there stoney faced.

Man that Halloween episode is so **** funny has me in stitches 

Bottom is over the top british humour but i loved it. Obviously these days you could never get away with it.

I dont see how fawlty towers can keep what the show back then and modernise it todays audience. If it flops cleese will get a lot of criticism and he hates being critised

3 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Man that Halloween episode is so **** funny has me in stitches 

Bottom is over the top british humour but i loved it. Obviously these days you could never get away with it.

I dont see how fawlty towers can keep what the show back then and modernise it todays audience. If it flops cleese will get a lot of criticism and he hates being critised

Not sure which network will show it, I haven't seen if it is for one of the streaming platforms or a traditional channel.

Just now, Seat68 said:

Not sure which network will show it, I haven't seen if it is for one of the streaming platforms or a traditional channel.

I think they show it still on uk gold

Its was wierd seeing rik mayall play some serious roles later in his career before he passed as all his previous roles were over the top craziness 

Just now, Demitri_C said:

I think they show it still on uk gold

Its was wierd seeing rik mayall play some serious roles later in his career before he passed as all his previous roles were over the top craziness 

I did enjoy him in Man Down, not for who he was, more the interaction between his character and Greg Davies' character.

1 hour ago, bickster said:

It’s not even that he'll butcher it. The original FT is just a wee bit too xenophobic for current mores, the humour is a time capsule of bygone times is one thing but how does that work in a modern “boutique” setting?

It worked mainly because Basil Fawlty was a deliberately awful human being, and the xenophobia was part of that.

Sadly, in this remake, he'll probably just be playing himself now that he has basically turned into Basil anyway.

• Like 3

It’s just going to be self opinionated bigots doing a performance for likes from self opinionated bigots and arguing that making jokes about zee Germans is really just testing snowflake free speech limits and justifying it all by having a token ethnic cast member that insists all lives matter and anything else is woke where woke means bad.

Then, straight after GB News we’ll all get to see how Fawlty Towers pans out.

• Haha 3

26 minutes ago, Lichfield Dean said:

It worked mainly because Basil Fawlty was a deliberately awful human being, and the xenophobia was part of that.

Sadly, in this remake, he'll probably just be playing himself now that he has basically turned into Basil anyway.

Actually, maybe he's turned into The Major...

Â