Best British TV comedies of all time

VILLAMARV

Personal top 10 in no particular order...

Only Fools & Horses

Bottom

Young Ones

The Day Today

Red Dwarf

Porridge

Spaced

Men Behaving Badly

Yes Minister

Harry Enfield & Chums

Although I really feel I should've included Blackadder, New Statesman and Brasseye. On reflection, let's call it a top 13.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MrDuck said:

Personal top 10 in no particular order...

Only Fools & Horses

Bottom

Young Ones

The Day Today

Red Dwarf

Porridge

Spaced

Men Behaving Badly

Yes Minister

Harry Enfield & Chums

Although I really feel I should've included Blackadder, New Statesman and Brasseye. On reflection, let's call it a top 13.

Yes Minister is hilarious and so so clever. 

The original obviously, not the abomination which was made recently. 

16 hours ago, sidcow said:

The IT Crowd was brilliant. 

1 hour ago, bobzy said:

The I T Crowd beats everything else.

For me it's THE modern day classic in that I think it will be thought of in the same terms as Fawlty Towers in years to come.

Graham Linehan is a comic genius.

Just of the stuff in this thread - Obviously Father Ted, The IT Crowd and Black Books - but also writing for Brass Eye and the Day Today. Big Train, Harry Enfield AND The Fast Show as well as walk on parts in Garth Merenghi and I'm Alan Partridge as well as most of the others there. And that's not mentioning the stuff that hasn't come up in this thread. some CV.

The Work Outing - Calamity Jen - Yesterday's Jam - The Dinner Party - The Final Countdown - Something Happened - Friendface - again in this thread so many great episodes but 'The Speech' is an absolute classic.

Team IT Crowd here definitely.

"Bodie, Doyle, Tiger, The Jewellery Man!" :clap:

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Shropshire Lad said:

Not sure if it’s been mentioned but I quite like “The Trip”. 

I do like The Trip.

"I will not bury another Batman"

• Haha 1

It has to be Blackadder II for me though overall. 

"Baldrick, you wouldn't know a cunning plan if it danced on top of a harpsichord singing Cunning plans are here again" Lord Flashart, so many brilliantly funny moments. 

The funniest thing I have ever seen ever though was the Chandelier scene from Only Fools. I didn't see it coming at all, I laughed so long and so hard I really thought I was doing to die.  Way ahead of Dell boy falling through the bar for me. 

When I was at school The Young Ones was THE ONLY topic of conversation the day after. 

It was of its time but you have to understand that before that we were used to seeing The Good Life or The 2 Ronnie's.  It was so revolutionary, nothing like it had been seen before, possibly The Kenny Everett show but that was a similar time. 

I doubt any other comedy show has had such an effect on a generation before or since. It was pretty much all consuming as a topic, pity those not allowed to watch it. 

I saw some recently and whilst it doesn't stack up today it wasn't as ridiculously out of date as I thought it would be and I was shocked to be able to almost lip sync word for word a show I probably hadn't seen for 30 years. 

Remember no repeats back then, you saw it once, then the rerun and that was it then forever unless you got it taped, if your dad allowed you space on a tape for a show he disapproved of in the first place. Anarchy. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 2

21 hours ago, chappy said:

Top 2 for me would be Peep Show and The Thick of It. Inbetweeners probably third.

As a man in my very late 40s The Inbetweeners should be alien to me but I think its hilarious showing it will probably be a timeless classic as it deals with timeless issues which all generations have in common. Plus some down and dirty slapstick like the turd in the water slide. 

• Like 2

On 25/02/2018 at 20:13, VILLAMARV said:

and to those outside of Wales probably only known as Siadwell, the poet off Naked Video

Apart from narrating Peppa Pig of course :D

I've been looking at my collection recently, I've got a spoon, a comb and a couple of biros. It's quite good really.i went on holiday recently to Birmingham. We went in my uncle's company car, the only thing is he didn't tell me he was a milkman. 

We'd been going for half an hour before we realised he'd got it in reverse. 

He was second fiddle to Kevin Turvey though. I could quote the ridiculously funny monologue about don't walk on the grass signs and how they got there, but I won't. Redditches finest. 

On 2/24/2018 at 13:19, villarule123 said:

I'm almost afraid to mention the Inbetweeners :unsure:

Don't be afraid! As Bill Hicks would say "You're right mf, You're right, not them!"

On 2/24/2018 at 13:22, villarule123 said:

:D

Just worried I'd get shot down by the old brigade :P

It's a show I will be thinking of in 20 years time though.

Seems to mostly span everyone to be fair. funny is funny!

On 2/24/2018 at 23:01, Demitri_C said:

Inbetweeners by a. Country mile

right so far Dem..

12 minutes ago, sidcow said:

As a man in my very late 40s The Inbetweeners should be alien to me but I think its hilarious showing it will probably be a timeless classic as it deals with timeless issues which all generations have in common. Plus some down and dirty slapstick like the turd in the water slide. 

As VT proves every day EVERYONE does toilets! One of those shows people seem a bit wary of admitting they like - weird how some people feel the need to apologise for their own tastes! But (As I've decided to tally the responses) It's been the most popular so far in this thread (By my means of counting obvs). Not by much atm from Blackadder. Most comment-worthy on VT so far seem to be:

1. The Inbetweeners
2. Blackadder
3. The Office
4. Peep Show
5=Fawlty Towers
5=Red Dwarf

Â