Best British TV comedies of all time

VILLAMARV

On 25/02/2018 at 11:45, theboyangel said:

Episodes 

I love Episodes, it's brilliantly funny, superb script and very well acted particularly Matt Le Blanc doing an over the top version of himself. 

I have not found ANYONE else who has seen it and was amazed to see you mention it. 

Another I love but have never met anyone else who has watched is Cuckoo which bearing in mind the cast surprises me, its excellent and should be better known. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, sidcow said:

Yes Minister is hilarious and so so clever. 

The original obviously, not the abomination which was made recently. 

Also frighteningly real!

Oh God, they did a remake? I was, thankfully, blissfully unaware of this.

• Like 2

On 2/25/2018 at 07:02, Chindie said:

Open All Hours

The Two Ronnies

Red Dwarf

Black Books

Spaced

Blackadder

Peep Show

Keeping Up Appearance

One Foot in the Grave

The Fast Show

Harry Enfield and Chums

Brasseye

Inbetweeners

Garth Merenghis Dark Place

Fawlty Towers

Fawlty Towers wins. It's pure gold. But there some wonderful stuff in the others.

Almost exactly mine.

I wonder if we were born the same year ?! :)

I would just add Yes Minister, Not the Nine O'clock News & Spitting Image for giving me a healthy dose of British Political Satire at a young age.

For the record my Blackadder order would be 3,2,4,1. I didn't find Blackadder 4 (BA Goes Forth) that funny when it was broadcast but 3 is close to perfection for it's genre. The painful sarcasm, three stooges-type slapstick and historical references. 

"Blackadder: All I'm saying is, he'd better watch out! One more foot wrong from him, and the contract between us will be as broken as this milk-jug!
Baldrick: But that milk-jug isn't broken.
Blackadder: You really do walk into these things, don't you? (smash)"

Fun fact, my English teacher had taught Rob Grant & Doug Naylor who, as a duo, went under the pen name Grant Naylor of Red Dwarf fame. The original book amalgamates series 1 & 2 and is well worth seeking out. I still have my old paperback from about 25 years ago which I dig out from time to time. The "Better Than Life" ending is much better than the TV show could ever do justice to and is very much like Black Mirror in it's future echoes of the world in which we now live.
  • Like 1

I haven't done a proper list in this topic yet, so here are my favourites, in no particular order apart from the top one which is the best.

The Office

Fawlty Towers
Peep Show
The IT Crowd
Spaced
People Just Do Nothing
Father Ted
BlackAdder
Mr Bean
The Inbetweeners

I was reluctant to put Inbetweeners on there. I think that show was absolutely top drawer for the first series. But I think it took a big dive for the second and third. They are still really good, and some episodes are still hilarious, but it became too aware of itself and the jokes became a bit too obvious.
I tried to keep my list to shows that were consistently great.
Red Dwarf, for example, didn't make my list despite it being superb at its peak. But the later series just killed it for me. Dreadful.

• Like 1

My list if I had to choose today (no real order) -

Peep Show

The Thick of It

Blackadder

Only Fools & Horses

The Office

Porridge 

Whatever Happened to the Likely Lads?

I’m Alan Partridge*

Men Behaving Badly

Marion & Geoff

*I’ll say I’m Alan Partidge as the umbrella name for the lot, Mid Morning Matters, etc.

I would have included Father Ted but I just don’t see it as British. 

Another new one that I thought was good and had potential is “Back” with Mitchell & Webb.

I also loved The Royle Family back in the day, although whether it counts as a true sitcom, I'm not sure.  It has more laughs than Mrs Browns Boys for certain, but then so does Schindler's List.

• Like 2

Â