Man Down,

The Office,

Extras,

Life's Too Short, 

Black Books, 

Staged, 

Operation Good Guys, 

IT Crowd, 

Yes lad, operation good guys! One of the truly great shows that nobody remembers

• Like 1

On 24/02/2018 at 14:23, Xela said:

The Office and I'm Alan Partridge for me are the gold standard.

Just underneath are Fawlty Towers, Blackadder Goes Fourth, Inbetweeners, Peep Show and The Thick of It. 

Highly underrated is Saxondale. Worth watching if you haven't seen it. Coogan at his best. 

It's funny how some last the test of time and other don't. I used to think Men Behaving Badly was the best thing ever. It has aged worse than Leslie Ash! 

Game On as well as @lapal_fan says. Haven't seen it in a while but doubt it has aged and you would struggle to get away with the content now. 

Also a big fan of the sketch shows from that era - Harry Enfield and Chums and The Fast Show. 

Stand by my post of 5 years ago! Forgot to put Phoenix Nights on there for some reason. 

I've just watched Saxondale again. Superb - ." 'No way he is a left-handed guitarist! I should know. I rigged his stack on the Snow Goose tour." :) 

I will also add Man Down to the list as I watched that last year. 

Edited by Xela

2 hours ago, av1 said:

My top 3 would be 

1) Blackadder

2) Porridge 

3) Faulty towers. 

Thinking about it, I’ve never seen anything with Ronnie Barker in it that I didn’t enjoy. 

Your third favourite comedy and you don't even know how to spell it? 

2 hours ago, Rodders said:

lack of Red Dwarf being mentioned here for some reason. 

So, Red Dwarf. Well, Seasons 1 -6 >> 7>11+12>8>>10>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Back to Earth. 

Think I've still got every episode of Red Dwarf on VHS in the loft still. 

ACE Rimmer is probably the nearest thing to Lord Flashart really. Probably just a rip off by them though. 

Not quite  British TV comedies but worth a look -  

John Cleese delivering the eulogy at Graham Chapman's funeral.  

Bob Newhart's monologue  -  the Student Driver

What Goes Up Might Come Down  -  After dinner speech by Birmingham Airtraffic controller David Gunson. 

Lenin Of The Rovers by Alexi Sayle

Welcome To Our Village.  Please Invade Carefully - Radio Comedy

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bickster said:

Dads Army needs talking about

Some of the classics are taken for granted I think. 

In all honesty Some Mothers Do 'Ave' Em and The Good Life had some side splitting moments. 

On 24/02/2018 at 12:20, sharkyvilla said:

The three comedies that I could watch any time, probably quote any line and still find hilarious are The Office, The IT Crowd and Garth Marenghi's Darkplace.

Looking back I'd add Peep Show and Flight Of The Conchords to make a top 5.

Edit just remembered FOTC wasn't set in Britain but **** it 

Edited by sharkyvilla

Funnily enough, Flight of the Conchords was initially set in the UK (the original radio series was produced here, Rob Brydon was involved). Basically the US producers were a bit more assertive in getting the tv version off the ground.

I think it probably worked out for the best. A couple of UK writers were involved still, I think the inbetweeners writers did an episode.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

BTE is better than VIII. But for beginners just go through the classic I-VI cannon. Comedy gold.

Series 1-6 were brilliant, so many great scenes, 7 was ok. After that it was all rubbish and not really rememberable at all. 

Coincidentally on Red Dwarf, at the start of the pandemic, I was setting up my “home office” with an old tv to use as my monitor. As I plugged it in to see if it was still working, the inbuilt dvd player started whirring and it began a tv episode of where I’d last left it…. It was Quarantine where Rimmer goes mad…

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

It was Quarantine where Rimmer goes mad

I would have that up there as one of the best episodes of the show.  Possibly V as the strongest season, come to think of it... Inquisitor, Holoship, Terrorform, Back To Reality.  Demons & Angels is the only dud.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

What Goes Up Might Come Down  -  After dinner speech by Birmingham Airtraffic controller David Gunson. 

Wow - blast from the past! My dad used to have this in tape in the car. Brilliant delivery by this guy and thanks for the reminder.

Interesting that Monty Python isn't mentioned much. Especially as it's considered the sort of birth of British modern comedy, for me though I always found the show a little stupid - almost like they were bullies - "ooh, we're so smart and inventive you have to laugh along otherwise you're not clever enough." But I think Life of Brian was an incredible satire on organized religion.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheAuthority said:

Wow - blast from the past! My dad used to have this in tape in the car. Brilliant delivery by this guy and thanks for the reminder.

Interesting that Monty Python isn't mentioned much. Especially as it's considered the sort of birth of British modern comedy, for me though I always found the show a little stupid - almost like they were bullies - "ooh, we're so smart and inventive you have to laugh along otherwise you're not clever enough." But I think Life of Brian was an incredible satire on organized religion.

Monty Pythons Flying Circus is rarely, if ever, repeated so it is easy to forget how good it was. 

• Like 1

Â