Best British TV comedies of all time

VILLAMARV

28 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Monty Pythons Flying Circus is rarely, if ever, repeated so it is easy to forget how good it was. 

It's also easy to forget just how much filler there was. The real gems were interspersed with a lot of unmemorable nonsense.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Seat68 said:

Monty Pythons Flying Circus is rarely, if ever, repeated so it is easy to forget how good it was. 

There is a lot of filler though in them. Like most sketch shows, which seem to be hardly made anymore. I guess for quick laughs people go to youtube/social media.

23 minutes ago, Brumerican said:

Still-game GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

That reminds me standing on the bank of Cannon Hill Park, fishing with my mates in my new hiking boots.  I jumped up and down on the slippery mud saying they were the best thing to wear as you couldn't slip over.  Feet went from right under me and I ended up feet first in the lake.

5 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

Wow - blast from the past! My dad used to have this in tape in the car. Brilliant delivery by this guy and thanks for the reminder.

Interesting that Monty Python isn't mentioned much. Especially as it's considered the sort of birth of British modern comedy, for me though I always found the show a little stupid - almost like they were bullies - "ooh, we're so smart and inventive you have to laugh along otherwise you're not clever enough." But I think Life of Brian was an incredible satire on organized religion.

I love Monty Python, but it has a problem, 80% was utter rubbish.  The remaining was pure genius that is unmatched.
It’s an easy to watch 20 minutes of Python and conclude it’s not worth watching. 

• Like 2

Yes Minister/Prime Minister was absolutely brilliant.  Not so much the recent re-boot despite the fact it should be like shooting fish in a barrel.

So clever and I am convinced a pretty true reflection of what goes on.

• Like 2

The Young Ones has only been mentioned in passing.  Certainly the most important sitcom of my generation.  Along with Kenny Everett it just signalled the end of that 60's / 70's comedy, a line was drawn in the sand that things were going to be very different from now on.

In the playground the next morning there was no other topic of conversation than The Young Ones. 

Edited by sidcow

4 minutes ago, sidcow said:

The Yong Ones has only been mentioned in passing.  Certainly the most important sitcom of my generation.  Along with Kenny Everett it just signalled the end of that 60's / 70's comedy, a line was drawn in the sand that things were going to be very different from now on.

In the playground the next morning there was no other topic of conversation than The Young Ones. 

The Comic Strip Presents... came before The Young Ones but The Young Ones had the greater impact I agree but that was down to the respective audiences of Ch4 / BBC and the CSP was aired on CH4's opening night. But anyway.... my point was, it wasn't the Young Ones that signalled the end of the turgid 60s and 70s formulaic sitcoms, it was the new channel - Ch4, they dragged the BBC in particular into the new era. Ch4 when it started was an absolute breath of fresh air, it ripped up the TV scheduling conventions, it did things other channels wouldn't have dared to, some of it worked, some of it was awful but it isn't an understatement to say that Ch4 revolutionised UK TV and especially the sitcom / comedy fields. A lot of that early Ch4 output was also down to The Comic Strip and it's members (Who were indeed the cast of The Young Ones)

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, bickster said:

The Comic Strip Presents... came before The Young Ones but The Young Ones had the greater impact I agree but that was down to the respective audiences of Ch4 / BBC and the CSP was aired on CH4's opening night. But anyway.... my point was, it wasn't the Young Ones that signalled the end of the turgid 60s and 70s formulaic sitcoms, it was the new channel - Ch4, they dragged the BBC in particular into the new era. Ch4 when it started was an absolute breath of fresh air, it ripped up the TV scheduling conventions, it did things other channels wouldn't have dared to, some of it worked, some of it was awful but it isn't an understatement to say that Ch4 revolutionised UK TV and especially the sitcom / comedy fields. A lot of that early Ch4 output was also down to The Comic Strip and it's members (Who were indeed the cast of The Young Ones)

They did revolutionise TV,  be that showing films no other channel would touch with a barge pole, or giving time to comedians and comic actors who would not be shown on BBC, or ITV. I loved Channel 4 and there would always be something to talk about at break times with friends. A Jarman film, or Comic strip Presents, Big Night Out, or One Summer, Those Glory Glory Days, Ptang Yang Kipper Bang, The Bullshitters for god sake, imagine something called the bullshitters on television. One of my favourite Channel 4 sitcoms was Chance In a Million, loved that.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, bickster said:

Is everybody Happy.

La, la, la,la , la laaa

• Like 2

I went to see the Bottom Live shows.

There was an amazing anarchic atmosphere, some vicious heckles and equally vicious responses by Rik Mayall.  It was so good that I booked to see the show again at another venue. 

It was the same hecklers, shouting the same heckles at exactly the same time in the show.     

Illusions shattered.     

• Sad 1
  • Shocked 1

Don't think I've seen Men Behaving Badly mentioned? 

Another one where I think I own all the VHS tapes in the loft. 

Was brilliant at the time but I'm not sure it would survive the test of time particularly well. 

Â