Best British TV comedies of all time

VILLAMARV

40 minutes ago, turvontour said:

Anyone come across Barry Welsh?

Fishguard, Coracle, Animal Rescue Squad etc.

and to those outside of Wales probably only known as Siadwell, the poet off Naked Video

Apart from narrating Peppa Pig of course :D

2 minutes ago, VILLAMARV said:

and to those outside of Wales probably only known as Siadwell, the poet off Naked Video

Apart from narrating Peppa Pig of course :D

Ah, John Sparkes. Siadwell was far and away the best bit of Naked Video. Never would have twigged that he was the narrator of Peppa Pig. 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, bickster said:

Ernie Wise, see Ronnie Corbett. Talentless gimp next to a comedic genius

Talentless gimp. Jeez. I get eric was a talent bit Ernie talentless is far wide of the mark. 

Edited by Seat68

I agree that Ronnie Barker didn't need Corbett. But I'm not sure that Eric Morecambe would ever have succeeded as a solo (or even with another good comic). Ernie's 'little idiot' act was kind of what made it work. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I agree that Ronnie Barker didn't need Corbett. But I'm not sure that Eric Morecambe would ever have succeeded as a solo (or even with another good comic). Ernie's 'little idiot' act was kind of what made it work. 

I hated both Wise and Corbett, probably quite irrationally because as @sharkyvillasays it was how the straight man funny man thing worked but Eric Morecambe was funny in his own right without Little Ern. Ernie Wise was little more than a canned laughter machine at times.

lots of people could have done what he did imo, maybe Wise wasn't as bad as Corbett but he still irritated me, not as much as the Ronnie Corbett monologue though, that just made me leave the room until it was over

12 minutes ago, bickster said:

I hated both Wise and Corbett, probably quite irrationally because as @sharkyvillasays it was how the straight man funny man thing worked but Eric Morecambe was funny in his own right without Little Ern. Ernie Wise was little more than a canned laughter machine at times.

lots of people could have done what he did imo, maybe Wise wasn't as bad as Corbett but he still irritated me, not as much as the Ronnie Corbett monologue though, that just made me leave the room until it was over

I was the same. I remember watching it once... well, I say watching, I mean 'having it inflicted on me at my mother's house'. My mother. My mother. She was the sort of person who thought that laughter was the best medicine. So it's just as well she never contracted malaria. Anyway, where was I? Oh yes, Ronnie Corbett, ha ha, yes. Well, he'd sit in that chair, every Sunday night  my favourite time of the week, by the way. Especially in August, when it was time for my bath. I always had a bath, once a year, whether I needed it or not. Thanks to Ted Ray for that joke, by the way. Ted Ray, yes, probably the funniest comedian in Fulham. If you don't count Mohamed El-Fayed. Anyway, ha ha, yes, the Ronnie Corbett monologue - have you ever thought about that word 'monologue', by the way? Monologue. Mon oh log. Sort of like a stereo log, but only in one channel. A bit like BBC 1 (cont. p. 94...) 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, mjmooney said:

I was the same. I remember watching it once... well, I say watching, I mean 'having it inflicted on me at my mother's house'. My mother. My mother. She was the sort of person who thought that laughter was the best medicine. So it's just as well she never contracted malaria. Anyway, where was I? Oh yes, Ronnie Corbett, ha ha, yes. Well, he'd sit in that chair, every Sunday night  my favourite time of the week, by the way. Especially in August, when it was time for my bath. I always had a bath, once a year, whether I needed it or not. Thanks to Ted Ray for that joke, by the way. Ted Ray, yes, probably the funniest comedian in Fulham. If you don't count Mohamed El-Fayed. Anyway, ha ha, yes, the Ronnie Corbett monologue - have you ever thought about that word 'monologue', by the way? Monologue. Mon oh log. Sort of like a stereo log, but only in one channel. A bit like BBC 1 (cont. p. 94...) 

yep thats the gist of it :bang:

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, rjw63 said:

Green Wing, forgot about that, Mark Heap is **** hilarious in that, as he is in that new show Upstart Crow.

Not seen Upstart Crow but after a couple of mentions here I'll track it down for a gander. Same with Big Train.

Mark Heap though. Spaced, Green Wing, Friday Night Dinner, Brass Eye, Stressed Eric - quite the CV really

Growing up I absolutely lived Red dwarf, some of the episodes were superb. However, I’m not a fan of the newer series’ and I’m not sure the originals have aged well.

Blckadder (outside of the first series) is brilliant.

Inbetweeners is brilliant childish humour.

Gavin and Stacey (only time I can put up with corden) is great.

Great shout before about Green wing.

Loved Harry enfield and Chums and The fast show.

Detectives and Thin Blue Line were good at the time.

Of course Only Fools was superb but they dragged it out for too long.

Watched  a few episodes of phone shop and that’s got some good moments in.

Â