Best British TV comedies of all time

VILLAMARV

I absolutely loved Red Dwarf. But that can't go on the list, because like many others it went on too long. Anything after about series 5 or 6 was utter garbage.

The new stuff on Dave is embarrassingly bad. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I absolutely loved Red Dwarf. But that can't go on the list, because like many others it went on too long. Anything after about series 5 or 6 was utter garbage.

The new stuff on Dave is embarrassingly bad. 

I'd go so far as to say series 2-6 is the really good stuff. I loved series 1 but it's a bit slow at times. Series 7 was when they changed Kochanski and Naylor and Grant stopped writing together. Stopped filming in front of an audience and it all goes awry.

For me, it's up there with The IT Crowd for most amount of tears rolling down my face when it's on form. Psirens - "stay away from me Pete Trantor's sister" is making me chuckle just thinking about it. White Hole, Back to Life, Backwards - there are so many great episodes.

For me Blackadder HAS to at least be in the top5 of any list and yet series one of that is pretty damn weak.

'Utter garbage' though and 'embarrassingly bad' - yep, totally agree for series 7 and anything on Dave, you're not wrong there imo.

Edited by VILLAMARV
Got away with misspelling Kochanski without a Kenneth Williams!
  • Like 1

Most everything I have ever loved in comedy has already been mentioned here (although I can't believe how few mentions Only Fools and Horses has had).  There are a couple that I would like to give a shout out to:

Hancock's Half Hour

Up Pompeii

Allo Allo

As a young man I loved all of these even though they are all before my time.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Straggler said:

Most everything I have ever loved in comedy has already been mentioned here (although I can't believe how few mentions Only Fools and Horses has had).  There are a couple that I would like to give a shout out to:

Hancock's Half Hour

Up Pompeii

Allo Allo

As a young man I loved all of these even though they are all before my time.

Love Allo Allo

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Shropshire Lad said:

Well if I get @bickster or @mjmooney in the VT secret Santa this year, I know what I’ll be getting them, no question.

6E220765-130B-476F-8DCA-C1AE060A3AAF.jpeg

For shame, they've gone and ruined the entire series by putting a huge spoiler on the DVD cover.  That "language Timothy" was the one 'joke' in it, as far as I recall.

There is  probably a lot of good stuff that never made its way to Norwegian telly, but some of my all time favourites have already been mentioned: 

Blackadder

Fawlty Towers

Flying Circus

The Office

Peep Show

All fantastically funny in their own way. 

Â