Best British TV comedies of all time

VILLAMARV

16 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

Other than the last series I don't think Blackadder has dated that well tbh.

Series one had some really good moments but missed the mark too many times  ,to the point I'm stunned they commissioned a second series

Series two is probably the best comedy season ever made  ,

Three was good but ruined a little by Hugh Laurie ,

and 4 took it back to the heights of season 2  , though slightly ruined by Stephen Fry 

On 24/02/2018 at 16:38, ferguson1 said:

In no order -

Only Fools & Horses

I'm Alan Partridge 

Blackadder

Porridge

The Office

Phoenix Nights

Steptoe & Son

Fawlty Towers

The Likely Lads

Early Doors

Special mention - Hancock's Half Hour, Rising Damp, The Inbetweeners, Gavin & Stacey, Knowing me Knowing You, Max & Paddy's Road To Nowhere. 

I still stand by this and haven’t really seen anything decent to make this list in the last few years.  

On 25/02/2018 at 09:11, Seat68 said:

Dear John. 

I'm Alan Partridge

The IT Crowd

Morecambe and Wise Show

The Inbetweeners

Nathan Barley

Brasseye

Raised By Wolves

Hi De Hi

Goodnight Sweetheart

Friday Night Dinner

I stand by all of them still, havent watched Nathan Barley for some time so will remedy that soon, would also stick Toast of London and What We Do In The Shadows on that list now.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

It will be funnier than Mrs Browns boys regardless .

some of fT was very clever writing , some of it missed the mark by being too OTT ( attacking the car with the branch etc )

But , I’ll watch the first one and take it from there 

My nearly two year old son ran into me and smacked me in the balls with his head this morning. That was funnier than Mrs Browns Boys, so not a high bar to get over.

• Haha 2

42 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

I stand by all of them still, havent watched Nathan Barley for some time so will remedy that soon, would also stick Toast of London and What We Do In The Shadows on that list now.

Both very, very good. Toast is a work of genius 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Follyfoot said:

Both very, very good. Toast is a work of genius 

I would agree with that, really good, I would say with time Toast of tinseltown, whilst funny in parts didn't have the overall quality of Toast of London.

1 minute ago, Seat68 said:

I would agree with that, really good, I would say with time Toast of tinseltown, whilst funny in parts didn't have the overall quality of Toast of London.

Agree, I still however play the Carmen 'song' that  Natasha Demetriou did most weeks, one of the funniest things I have seen in years. Would stick it up but the words are a little rude 

• Like 1

Phoenix nights, comedy genius. There are others but to me it's streets ahead.

Rising Damp, Inbetweeners, This Country , Still Game , Only fools and Horses all great but,......."Who taught him that" ,  "nonse" , "garlic bread?" , "Can you hear me now" , "get back or I will break your legs" are just a small snippet of a series that's littered with lines that are just funny as fucX. 

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, Seat68 said:

Barley was years ahead of its time. The  idiots are winning.

Jonathan yeah? (he added the question mark by deed poll) is one of the greatest supporting comedy characters in British tv history. A nice glass of dutch wine. Etc.

• Like 2

OFAH, Porridge, FT, Allo Allo, The Office were all brilliant.

Hasn't been anything remotely funny since The Office IMHO and find Inbetweeners type "comedy" just childish and not remotely funny. 

As for Bottom, I find it an insult to our incredible language diversity and the humour and witt that is so revered around the world, that this show was ever made. Comedy is of course subjective but that show was just pure tripe. Someone being smashed with a hammer? Oh how clever and witty.

Regarding the FT remake, that will just be the biggest pile of steaming s*** ever and I cannot believe its happening.

• Haha 1

My top 3 would be 

1) Blackadder

2) Porridge 

3) Faulty towers. 

Thinking about it, I’ve never seen anything with Ronnie Barker in it that I didn’t enjoy. 

1 hour ago, GlobalVillan said:

Hasn't been anything remotely funny since The Office IMHO 

The office is a strange one for me in that I absolutely loved it at the time, and it deserves to be considered as one of the best. But for me, unlike some others that have been mentioned it’s not one I would watch again as I don’t think I would find it as funny. Unlike porridge for instance, I could probably recite every line word for word and still piss myself laughing even though I know exactly what’s coming. 

That’s not taking anything away from the office, it was genius.

Edited by av1

31 minutes ago, Rodders said:

lack of Red Dwarf being mentioned here for some reason. 

So, Red Dwarf. Well, Seasons 1 -6 >> 7>11+12>8>>10>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Back to Earth. 

BTE is better than VIII. But for beginners just go through the classic I-VI cannon. Comedy gold.

• Like 1

Â