The Video Assistant Referee (VAR)

Stevo985

5 minutes ago, bobzy said:

It should be used as a clear and obvious thing where the referee has missed something/got it wrong.  You don't need forensic examinations of close call decisions - just the things that are blatantly wrong.

(Although as with Ederson on Fraser, they miss these too... maybe there's just no **** hope).

"Clear and Obvious" is one of the worst things that's ever happened to VAR. It doesn't really mean anything

ANYTHING can be clear and obvious in the right context. If he ref doesn't see something then the smallest of touches or fouls or handballs is clear and obvious. "Clear and Obvious" in itself requires discretion, which just adds another layer of uncertainty.
They'd have been far better off never using that term

• Like 2

On 24/01/2022 at 17:49, blunther said:

Ball hasn't left his foot yet. If it was Man United concdeing the goal, they'd be doing the VAR check one frame further forward, which is 1/60th of a second (I believe 60FPS cameras are used). Doesn't sound a lot but if the defender is static and Cavani is running at 10M/s, then he'd be 17cm further on in the next frame and therefore offside.

That's the thing with VAR. They make out like offside is cut and dry. It isn't. The cameras aren't fast enough to make accurate decisions. The choice of the frame is subjective, and is never discussed.

This is a great post and I was saying something similar after we had a goal chalked off because of a couple of millimetres of Wesley's heel a couple of seasons ago.

The spend so much time drawing lines and measuring up to upper arms etc which all feels fairly subjective, but they never seem to pay much attention to the frame at which the player has released the ball. If it's touching his foot, he hasn't passed it yet. So what are they looking for there, do they need clear air between foot and ball? The frame before clear air? It's almost impossible to get accuracy.

The VAR offside system is the most egregious part of it. 2mm offside shouldn't be offside.

Like with every single VAR decision, for offsides, the VAR should flag to the officiating referee that they think a decision needs reviewing and why, and the officiating referee should get to watch the incident from 2 different angles once each at regular speed. If they can't overturn it from that, it's not clear and obvious and the ruling on the pitch should stand.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

"Clear and Obvious" is one of the worst things that's ever happened to VAR. It doesn't really mean anything

ANYTHING can be clear and obvious in the right context. If he ref doesn't see something then the smallest of touches or fouls or handballs is clear and obvious. "Clear and Obvious" in itself requires discretion, which just adds another layer of uncertainty.
They'd have been far better off never using that term

Haha - agreed.  Sorry, shouldn't have used that term :D

I mean just something that is, factually, an incorrect decision.  Don't send a referee to a monitor, just overrule them.  You got that wrong, this is the correct call.  

Another farcical decision, this time in the AFCON.

Cape Verde goalkeeper sent off for an honest challenge and a 50-50 header, he was already seeing stars and was being substituted before VAR decided to intervene totally unnecessarily yet again and further ruin a football match.

52 minutes ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

Kevin Friend dropped from next round of games after the Jota farce

Pawson, on VAR that day, continues as normal 🤦‍♂️ 

Wait, so they're saying the ref who gave the correct original decision is being penalised, and not the VAR guy telling him he'd made a "clear and obvious" error?

Kevin Friend is a word removed, but that is properly odd. Wonder what would've happened had Friend stood by his original decision?

6 minutes ago, StanBalaban said:

Wait, so they're saying the ref who gave the correct original decision is being penalised, and not the VAR guy telling him he'd made a "clear and obvious" error?

Kevin Friend is a word removed, but that is properly odd. Wonder what would've happened had Friend stood by his original decision?

You never know it might make Refs go with their original decision!?

Couldn’t post this in the Manure thread as it’s still locked so it’s in here instead.

Schmeichel seems to have selective memory as he’s clearly forgotten what happened in the last round when we played them.

Dick head!!!!!

I'm sure we even talked on here about the rule when it changed last year and several people immediately realised the implications of anyone who handballs it just having to pass.

It's amazing to me that pundits can be so clueless about the game they're paid to talk about. Once they realise these things aren't decided on vague concepts like 'seeming fair', but actual written down rules, then they may get better at their jobs. They'd certainly have a more positive impact on the game if they made an effort to understand and lobby against bad rules when they're being introduced, rather than waiting for uproar when a team deserving of their attention gets shafted.

Edited by Sam-AVFC
  • Like 1

How long can the pretence that this is neutral continue ?

Liverpool seemed to get bailed out by it every week ! It isn't even subtle any more ?

The villa goal at Manu ? 

Are we that downtrodden that we just accept this as another perk of the big clubs ?

• Like 1

The Liverpool keeper one is an absolute joke

They can say the CB would block the goalscoring opportunity all they like but that's bollocks as he's wide of him and on top of that we all know what the result of that is at the other end 

Its bias plain and simple 

11 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

And this explains why they no longer show them drawing the lines on, only the final result. Let's them place and move the lines as much as they want behind the scenes to manipulate the outcome.

Edited by a-k

No idea if the offside call was correct or not, frankly it doesn't even matter. Just hate what VAR has done to football, completely ruins the game for me.

There are more reasons as to why I'm falling out of love with football but VAR is absolutely one of them. 

Edited by sne
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, sne said:

No idea if the offside call was correct or not, frankly it doesn't even matter. Just hate what VAR has done to the football, completely ruins the game for me.

There are more reasons as to why I'm falling out of love with football but VAR is absolutely one of them. 

The var could have been paused in about 6 different spots, making the decision go one way or another, I stand by what I said in the match thread. This result has been manipulated by the ref and var and as piss poor as we were, it's still taken this for us to lose, bent.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Phil Silvers said:

The var could have been paused in about 6 different spots, making the decision go one way or another, I stand by what I said in the match thread. This result has been manipulated by the ref and var and as piss poor as we were, it's still taken this for us to lose, bent.

Agree, we were awful but that Var decision has been constructed to chalk the goal off for Villa.

• Like 1

Â