The Video Assistant Referee (VAR)

Stevo985

1 minute ago, S-Platt said:

They should be looking at the point it left Ramseys foot too as the ball was away from it when they freeze the play for the lines.

A close call like that can be minupulated to give whatever result pays the most money 💰 

Exactly!

1 minute ago, S-Platt said:

They should be looking at the point it left Ramseys foot too as the ball was away from it when they freeze the play for the lines.

A close call like that can be minupulated to give whatever result pays the most money 💰 

I'm convinced some people think VAR is being used correctly and that the refs are getting every decision correct. If you are happy with today's refereeing and use of VAR then you need to have your head wobbled 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

I'm convinced some people think VAR is being used correctly and that the refs are getting every decision correct. If you are happy with today's refereeing and use of VAR then you need to have your head wobbled 

The VAR was fine today. The refereeing was awful

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

The ref can’t decide to stop play for an offside, he’d be unable to tell if it’s right or not  

It’s the only way to do it if you’re going to use VAR for offsides 

The ref blows the whistle, not the linesman. He can decide to stop it or not.

Same with advantage. 

the delayed flag nonsense is dangerous, we have the situation where obvious offsides aren’t flagged immediately. 

although tbh I think whatever they do now is too messy. 

Offsides need to be done automatically and completely taken away from humans. I don't have an issue with the offside today but the refs are so poor in this league in general I don't really want them to have anything to do with the game. I welcome our robot refs. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, S-Platt said:

This is the biggest issue with saying that offside is a black and white decision. 

It’s objective the frame they use to draw the lines on. They had a different frame and then changed it during the check. 

1 minute ago, StefanAVFC said:

The ref blows the whistle, not the linesman. He can decide to stop it or not.

But you’re asking a referee to agree with or overturn a linesman on a decision he has no way of accurately assessing. 

The current way means the linesman still makes his decision, and goals don’t get incorrectly prevented from happening because of an incorrect offside call

3 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

the delayed flag nonsense is dangerous, we have the situation where obvious offsides aren’t flagged immediately. 

although tbh I think whatever they do now is too messy. 

If they’re really obvious then I agree the linesman should just raise his flag. But who decides what’s obvious or not? 

The risk of injury is minimal

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tommo_b said:

But why is the line in-line with the Newcastles players toe and not his heel, as far as I was aware a player can still score a goal or clear a ball with his heel…

It is from his heel

1 minute ago, Tommo_b said:

But why is the line in-line with the Newcastles players toe and not his heel, as far as I was aware a player can still score a goal or clear a ball with his heel…

If the line is in the correct place the goal then counts.

1 minute ago, El Zen said:

Our eyes must work differently.

What are you struggling with? The dotted line is from his heel. That goes down to the pitch where the horizontal line across the pitch is drawn. 

It looks like it’s his toe because that horizontal line crosses his toe because of perspective. The same way it crosses his head, but nobody is saying they drew the line from his head. 

The dotted line shows the point on the player where they drew the line, and that is his heel

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

It is from his heel

Personally my interpretation is that the blue line should be moved slightly to the left to be inline with the defenders last part of his body he can play the ball with, if this is done he is then keeping Watkins onside…

For me this is a subjective placing of the blue line and not the correct position. 

3 minutes ago, Tommo_b said:

Yes you are right 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Tommo_b said:

Personally my interpretation is that the blue line should be moved slightly to the left to be inline with the defenders last part of his body he can play the ball with, if this is done he is then keeping Watkins onside…

It is. It’s drawn from his heel. Why are you struggling with this?

Â