The Video Assistant Referee (VAR)

Stevo985

There’s enough wrong with both PGMOL as an organisation and the standard of refereeing that we really don’t need to start suggesting they’re getting black and white offside decisions wrong on purpose too. 

Edited by StefanAVFC

Just now, Keyblade said:

Probably not, but those type of margins usually warrant lengthier VAR checks in this league. How many of those have been chalked off this season? 

So the issue is that, despite Cavani being onside, there wasn’t enough of the thing we all hate? OK….

1 minute ago, bobzy said:

So the issue is that, despite Cavani being onside, there wasn’t enough of the thing we all hate? OK….

No, the issue is there's an inconsistency...one that seems heavily weighted in 1 direction for some odd reason. Getting discrete decisions right or wrong isn't the problem.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Aston_Villan4 said:

I'm not disputing the decision itself, but questioning how they arrived to it. Seems pretty inconsistent that made a decision this close as quickly as they did, especially given the circumstances (last minute winner). If West Ham scored it instead, I suspect things would have played out slightly differently.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

I'm not disputing the decision itself, but questioning how they arrived to it. Seems pretty inconsistent that made a decision this close as quickly as they did, especially given the circumstances (last minute winner). If West Ham scored it instead, I suspect things would have played out slightly differently.

It’s either offside or it isn’t. What are you arguing for here? 

Based on the image above it isn’t close to being offside either. Trick of perspective makes it look worse. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

It’s either offside or it isn’t. What are you arguing for here? 

Based on the image above it isn’t close to being offside either. Trick of perspective makes it look worse. 

Pretty clear what I'm arguing there tbh. Obviously it's either offside or not, but it's never that cut and dry with our officials is it?

Took them about 2 mins to determine Danny Ings wasn't offside at OT a couple of weeks ago despite it being pretty black and white.

6 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Pretty clear what I'm arguing there tbh. Obviously it's either offside or not, but it's never that cut and dry with our officials is it?

Took them about 2 mins to determine Danny Ings wasn't offside at OT a couple of weeks ago despite it being pretty black and white.

Very much so isn't. It's like arguing about whether the ball has gone out or not. It has or it hasn't. There are some cases where there are grey areas around whether players are interfering with play etc that slow things down, but there was none here so it is a quick, 'is he offside of not' decision. The drew lines, saw he wasn't and then gave the goal. There isn't a stick to beat VAR with here. What is your point? You want them to spend an equal amount of time looking at every offside decision regardless of whether it's necessary or not?

Edited by YLN

1 hour ago, Keyblade said:

Danny Ings’ “offside” had a handball and three different offside instances to look at. That Cavani one is one instance, clearly onside.

There is no outrage to be had here. 

Â