The Video Assistant Referee (VAR)

Stevo985

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

Still trying to decide was this worse than Kane vs Cash last season 

That was terrible, but this one… Guaita isn’t even moving. He kneeled down blocking any shot and gets jumped into. Tragic, tragic decision, made worse by the referee not giving it initially, the VAR making an awful call to alert the referee and then the onfield referee listening to that nonsense, AND seeing it in slow motion with several angles and then overturning his initial correct decision.

Its like 3 catastrophically bad decisions in a row to give… oh yeah, Liverpool, a two goal cushion in a game they very much looked like conceding again in.

That's as bad as it gets, jota changes the line that he's running in and he changes it from the line of the ball in to the line of the keeper, he's deliberately stepped across to get contact 

Said many times the refs don't understand what they're watching, they see the contact don't see a touch on the ball and think foul, they are oblivious to why that contact has come about or what that contact means 

• Like 3

Over turning every single decision after a VAR review on the monitor has to stop! It's blatantly obvious the referee does not want to over rule the refs on VAR. If the ref has seen the incident in real time they should be getting it right. They need to realise we haven't always had VAR, so 90% of their decisions should be correct, unless it is " a blatant clear and obvious error", then, an then only should the VAR be getting involved!

This is actually the official way it should be used, but they seem to be making the rules up as they go along. We also still have to use a bit of common sense.

2 hours ago, villa4europe said:

That's as bad as it gets, jota changes the line that he's running in and he changes it from the line of the ball in to the line of the keeper, he's deliberately stepped across to get contact 

Said many times the refs don't understand what they're watching, they see the contact don't see a touch on the ball and think foul, they are oblivious to why that contact has come about or what that contact means 

FWIW, I don't think Jota has deliberately stepped across to get contact.  It looks like he's attempting to flick the ball over the goalkeeper using the outside of his boot - which would naturally change his line of running - but completely misses the ball, which goes harmlessly one way whilst he changes direction.

It should still never ever be given as a penalty, of course, but I don't think it's Jota playing for a penalty.

4 hours ago, MessiWillSignForVilla said:

The VAR was Craig Pawson, I'd love to ask him what the difference was between this and Watkins' claim yesterday which he was also ref of.

100%.  Pickford went straight through Watkins after Watkins had got the ball, Pawson not interested.  Today as VAR he see fit to overrule the onfield decision to bring attention to something that's nowhere near as clear.   The guy is either an idiot or a cheat, or both.  It's getting beyond a joke now how inconsistent and bad they are.   Actually there is some consistency, I suppose,  in how often things like this go in favour of the Sky 6 but not the likes of us.  Still it keeps the title race more alive so the PL will happy the refs "did them a favour" meaning that their product remains attractive for longer , and I guess that's all that matters these days.  

Edited by El Segundo
  • Like 3

Clubs will look at this incident and use it to their advantage every week 

If your not getting the ball run into an opposition player and you win the foul. 

What pisses me off is not only the inconsistencies, its the complete lack of communication, for var to properly work we need to hear why they have made that decision and the thought process during it

6 hours ago, MessiWillSignForVilla said:

The VAR was Craig Pawson, I'd love to ask him what the difference was between this and Watkins' claim yesterday which he was also ref of.

All you ask for is consistency between the referees across the games and leagues. Here we have the same ref making two different decisions within 24 hours of each other. If ever there was a case of SL6 team bias, this is a prime example.

Pawson should be ashamed and called out on that, probably dropped for a while. However I imagine his mate Dermot Gallagher will find a way to justify why the two decisions ended up with different outcomes.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, StefanAVFC said:

Jump into the keeper out of your natural running lane and fall over. Penalty. 

well, Salah managed it with Mings, when he literally jumped in front of Mings to trip him over, who then fell in to Salah and he got a pen.

VAR in principle is fine, the people using it are incompetent though.

What makes it worse, is they cant even make the right calls in super slow motion, its quite mind boggling tbh.

I think an improvement would be to have an ex-pro also watching the footage with the VAR and have a system where...

Both ex-pro and var agree that the ref made a mistake, advise ref to go to screen

Ex pro and var disagree with something, go with onfield decision

Both agree no mistake was made, carry on.

Would hopefully cut out some of the nonsense we saw today. Obviously that whole system is a complete band aid. The real solution is better refs but I dunno how possible that is. 

48 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

I think an improvement would be to have an ex-pro also watching the footage with the VAR and have a system where...

Both ex-pro and var agree that the ref made a mistake, advise ref to go to screen

Ex pro and var disagree with something, go with onfield decision

Both agree no mistake was made, carry on.

Would hopefully cut out some of the nonsense we saw today. Obviously that whole system is a complete band aid. The real solution is better refs but I dunno how possible that is. 

Honestly, just bin it. Or have one person reviewing the footage who the ref or linesmen can request help on a call if they feel they didn’t have an adequate view or are unsure about what they saw. Reverse the dynamic. Then we can hear the on field ref say “I wasn’t sure which player initiated the contact there, can you let me know or show me over on the screen if it’s unclear?” or “I thought that looked offside but the linesman didn’t flag, can you please review” and so on. put the referee back in control and responsible for their mistakes and hopefully they’ll have to be better. Then get all the refs together over the summer break and watch a hundred games from over the season and don’t let them go home to their family until they agree on absolutely every decision made in those games. 

As always the technology isn’t the problem, it’s the shit refs and the rules and how they’re instructed to interpret them and how they manage games in general but that’s not going to change any time soon. As it is, the game is worse and it was supposed to make it better.

Edited by a m ole
  • Like 2

Watching NFL and NBA games today, and the refs are constantly giving in-game explanations for the calls. The problem is not VAR, it is how it is being used. The refs are not up to standard, but at the very least need to explain their decisions. I cannot understand how on earth Firmino was not deemed interfering with play or how Jota was given the pen. Hope a player jumps into the keeper next week, and when no pen is given the player and/or manager questions it post-match. "Pen was given to Jota for the same, why not for us?"

On 22/01/2022 at 17:40, Aston_Villan4 said:

Ball hasn't left his foot yet. If it was Man United concdeing the goal, they'd be doing the VAR check one frame further forward, which is 1/60th of a second (I believe 60FPS cameras are used). Doesn't sound a lot but if the defender is static and Cavani is running at 10M/s, then he'd be 17cm further on in the next frame and therefore offside.

That's the thing with VAR. They make out like offside is cut and dry. It isn't. The cameras aren't fast enough to make accurate decisions. The choice of the frame is subjective, and is never discussed.

• Like 3

2 refs to think that was a pen is concerning. if they both genuinely think it was a pen, then we've got a bigger problem on our hands here.

the reality is that i think the ref was happy with his original decision, but doesn't want to undermine his mate who has asked him to come over to the screen. they're all one team after all. the same way managers stick up for their players and player stick up for their team mates.

only once has the ref viewed the monitor and gone against the VAR, sticking with his on field decision. this needs to change. the ref needs to have the ability to say "what you on about mate? never a pen, can't believe you even made me look at this". but for whatever reason they are just not comfortable doing this.

i suspect this to be a PGMOL issue where they are encouraged to side with VAR and not go against them

12 hours ago, El Segundo said:

100%.  Pickford went straight through Watkins after Watkins had got the ball, Pawson not interested.  Today as VAR he see fit to overrule the onfield decision to bring attention to something that's nowhere near as clear.   The guy is either an idiot or a cheat, or both.  It's getting beyond a joke now how inconsistent and bad they are.   Actually there is some consistency, I suppose,  in how often things like this go in favour of the Sky 6 but not the likes of us.  Still it keeps the title race more alive so the PL will happy the refs "did them a favour" meaning that their product remains attractive for longer , and I guess that's all that matters these days.  

I don't think Pickford on Watkins was a foul.  Watkins looked for it and made sure he went over Pickford.  It's basically exactly the same incident, though, and that's what you elude to in the rest of your post.  The consistency is mind-boggling.  Neither are penalties, there is no way that one should be given and one shouldn't be - particularly if the same bloody referee is involved.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, bobzy said:

I don't think Pickford on Watkins was a foul.  Watkins looked for it and made sure he went over Pickford.  It's basically exactly the same incident, though, and that's what you elude to in the rest of your post.  The consistency is mind-boggling.  Neither are penalties, there is no way that one should be given and one shouldn't be - particularly if the same bloody referee is involved.

I'm with you 100%

If anything the Jota one is worse though because he moves in a different direction into the keeper (likely unintentionally), whereas Watkins didn't change his path at all.

• Like 1

Â