The Video Assistant Referee (VAR)

Stevo985

How about if VAR was administered by ex-players.

Of course the top players will earn too much money to be arsed about signing up for a career in match officiating but your average league one/two players would need the money and likely would welcome being kept in the game.

I would trust the opinion of an ex player all day long over that of an over officious person who’s been trained to be as pedantic as possible. 

31 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

How about if VAR was administered by ex-players.

Of course the top players will earn too much money to be arsed about signing up for a career in match officiating but your average league one/two players would need the money and likely would welcome being kept in the game.

I would trust the opinion of an ex player all day long over that of an over officious person who’s been trained to be as pedantic as possible. 

Too biased.

10 hours ago, Spoony said:

Hmmm it’s all well and good but can you imagine the realities. The dogs abuse they get for decisions certain fans don’t agree with will just be even worse and I think the massive increase I pressure isn’t going to help get the right decision. This is an example of a very straightforward decision. 

I'm not so sure. I think part of what makes people angry is we have no idea why they're making the decisions until some statement comes out hours later that always has the air of arse-covering.

I think if we heard the refs discussing it and heard their reasoning, even if we don't agree it'd reduce the frustration. I can't see the PGMOL lot accepting it though, they've always had a god complex.

Pulisic slide tackles Cancelo, Cancelo holds his studs up, misses the ball and plants them on Pulisic's leg. Referee doesn't check.

What am I missing here? 

Feels like that should be looked at. This is where the VAR shouldn't be making decisions about whether it's ok or not. He should just ask the ref to have a second look and leave it solely in the refs hands.

(PS I think it definitely would be reviewed for the lesser teams and in games that weren't considered a showpiece.)

18 minutes ago, May-Z said:

Pulisic slide tackles Cancelo, Cancelo holds his studs up, misses the ball and plants them on Pulisic's leg. Referee doesn't check.

What am I missing here? 

Feels like that should be looked at. This is where the VAR shouldn't be making decisions about whether it's ok or not. He should just ask the ref to have a second look and leave it solely in the refs hands.

(PS I think it definitely would be reviewed for the lesser teams and in games that weren't considered a showpiece.)

The last bit is key for me.

If one of our players does it tonight I have no doubt that it will result in a red card.

Obviously if Fernandes does it to one of our players I’m sure United will get a penalty.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Should just stop calling them over to look at the screen, just tell the refs to give it. Wolves penalty.

Means that its still the pitch refs decision rather than undermining him 

Not that they're a team or anything 

17 minutes ago, PussEKatt said:

VAR should only be used to check if the ball crossed the line,everything else should be up to the ref ( like it used to be )

They use a different technology for that

21 minutes ago, PussEKatt said:

VAR should only be used to check if the ball crossed the line,everything else should be up to the ref ( like it used to be )

Everything is up to the ref. 

All VAR does is says "you might want to have a look at that, possible foul" and then ref makes the decision.

It's some sort of a myth to say the ref has been stripped of responsibilities. All shit calls in 2022 and in 2012 were down to refs. 

Edited by Mic09

3 hours ago, Mic09 said:

Everything is up to the ref. 

All shit calls in 2022 and in 2012 were down to refs. 

If you're gonna cover the last ten years you might as well go back all the way 😜

One thing I’d like to be added with VAR is a time limit for them to make a decision. Spending minutes, getting out the lines trying to work out an offside is frustrating at best. If you can’t decide quickly enough just give the goal and let’s move on 

On 17/01/2022 at 17:49, CarryOnVilla said:

One thing I’d like to be added with VAR is a time limit for them to make a decision. Spending minutes, getting out the lines trying to work out an offside is frustrating at best. If you can’t decide quickly enough just give the goal and let’s move on 

Yep, if it's a "clear and obvious" error it shouldn't need 5 mins to figure it out.

Â