The Video Assistant Referee (VAR)

Stevo985

5 hours ago, Genie said:

I agree, it’s taking a lot of the spontaneous emotion out of the game. Previously if the flag was down it’s a goal.
Now it’s not clear if the linesman knows it’s offside but doesn’t flag because he’s told not too even though it is. Then they check offsides and handballs from 3 attacks ago. Bullshit.

It's all fine when you're on the advantageous side of the spontaneous emotion. When the linesman isn't clear if it's offside even if it clearly is, and your team suffers because of it, it's not so great.

17 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

It's all fine when you're on the advantageous side of the spontaneous emotion. When the linesman isn't clear if it's offside even if it clearly is, and your team suffers because of it, it's not so great.

I accept that as part of the game. VAR is synthetic and ruining the game. It can be taken away. Humans being humans is more acceptable.

8 hours ago, Genie said:

I accept that as part of the game. VAR is synthetic and ruining the game. It can be taken away. Humans being humans is more acceptable.

Humans are being humans, that's why shit decisions are made. All that happens is that they now watch a replay.

There are no robots involved, it's classic, old school premier League refereeing crap we always used to get. 

9 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

This new handball rule makes me want to cry. 

The problem is the removal of the "Deliberate" criterea. It used to be that you would need to make a move toward the ball (i.e. to block). Taking that away means someone can blast the ball at you from 3 yards or in Diers case yesterday you can literally have your back to play and it's given...It's madness.

You can see the players claiming handball for literally everything now - way more than it was last year, although admittedly it was bad before.

I don’t understand why they’ve done it.

I don’t know or have even seen a single person who likes this rule change. It’s an absolute farce.

The sheer volume of penalties given for essentially unavoidable nonsense is making luck or the “handball lottery” a fair greater determinate of results than any should be remotely happy with.

9 hours ago, Zatman said:

I wouldnt be surprised of 250 penalties this season. 

Was 106 last season but we are already on 20 after 3 games

Man Utd will get 50 penalties. 😂

14 hours ago, Keyblade said:

No its not.VAR and the new handball rule are spoiling the game no matter if you are winning or losing.

5 hours ago, penguin said:

I don’t understand why they’ve done it.

I don’t know or have even seen a single person who likes this rule change. It’s an absolute farce.

The sheer volume of penalties given for essentially unavoidable nonsense is making luck or the “handball lottery” a fair greater determinate of results than any should be remotely happy with.

Possibly.  There's a thread on here though where we were discussing the handball rule (I think it came off the back of some nonsense decisions in the 2018 World Cup?) - I remember very clearly having a discussion with someone who was of the opinion that every single time the ball hits the arm/hand it should be a penalty.  I think the point was maybe not that it's "right", but that it makes things very clear and removes the "was it or was it not intentional?".

(FWIW, I completely disagreed and what we've got at the moment is a **** mess :D)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bobzy said:

Possibly.  There's a thread on here though where we were discussing the handball rule (I think it came off the back of some nonsense decisions in the 2018 World Cup?) - I remember very clearly having a discussion with someone who was of the opinion that every single time the ball hits the arm/hand it should be a penalty.  I think the point was maybe not that it's "right", but that it makes things very clear and removes the "was it or was it not intentional?".

(FWIW, I completely disagreed and what we've got at the moment is a **** mess :D)

Animated GIF

10 minutes ago, villan-scott said:

A fantastic thread and explanation of the handball rule here. A definite must read. 

great to have a clear view of the laws as they’re enforced.

now let’s watch David Ellary and whoever else play a game of football with their arms bound to their sides.

Â