The Video Assistant Referee (VAR)

Stevo985

Just now, PussEKatt said:

What about Manure s win after the final whistle Vs Palace ?!

It was the right decision in the end. The rules allow for an incident to be reviewed after full time. I didn't like it, but the rules are the rules. 

On 29/09/2020 at 20:20, limpid said:

Lots of studies showed that this wasn't true though. Refs would favour the "bigger" team in 50-50 decisions.

What was needed was better (trained) refs. Not additional crap ones.

After VAR and the new handball rule.........refs still favour the bigger teams.Manure are still getting Fergie time FFS

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PieFacE said:

It was the right decision in the end. The rules allow for an incident to be reviewed after full time. I didn't like it, but the rules are the rules. 

In that case, the game should be stopped ( like they do for drink breaks ) NOT make a decision after the game is all over. 

3 minutes ago, PussEKatt said:

In that case, the game should be stopped ( like they do for drink breaks ) NOT make a decision after the game is all over. 

Maybe so, maybe not. Either way, it's not a VAR problem per se, it's more of an implementation issue. At the end of the day the correct decision was made so... meh. 

I agree.The correct decision was made.They just took too long to make it.

What about when we played WBA in the Championship and Rod admitted that he scored with a hand ball,we still drew the game instead of winning it.If they are going to make decisions after a game is finished then they need to be consistant.

1 hour ago, PussEKatt said:

What about when we played WBA in the Championship and Rod admitted that he scored with a hand ball,we still drew the game instead of winning it.If they are going to make decisions after a game is finished then they need to be consistant.

There was no mechanism in which to correct this situation in that game. In the United game, there was. 

1 hour ago, PussEKatt said:

With VAr that goal would never have stood so it's a moot point

VAR still isn't great, but it's a lot better this season. 

The handball thing is a **** farce but as others have said it's the rules more than VAR that is the issue. VAR is just enabling them to spot more of them.

If they corrected that and the minute offside decisions which I still think is a big issue then I think it would be close to a workable system

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PussEKatt said:

I think that incident was part of why they changed the hand ball rule

It was accidental (benefit of the doubt, I think it was anyway) but it shouldnt matter when it results in a goal 

• 3 weeks later...

If VAR can't spot and correct that scissor tackle by Pickford on van Dijk then what is it there for and what's the point? (Apart from the molecular offside stuff)

Isn't this exactly why VAR is there? How can they miss it?

36 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

You’re only meant to be offside with a part of the body that can score so if his arm is offside it doesn’t matter surely?!

29 minutes ago, villa89 said:

That's how I understand the rule too. 

You’re both absolutely right but I think the bottom image is shopped, (different shade of red used to the solid line), the original is drawn from his armpit.

That said, both decisions are complete horse balls! The drawing of lines, and maybe even slow-mo, should be scrapped altogether for VAR. If you can’t spot a foul on the replay played at normal speed...then any mistake isn’t clear or obvious! 

2 minutes ago, WhatAboutTheFinish said:

You’re both absolutely right but I think the bottom image is shopped, (different shade of red used to the solid line), the original is drawn from his armpit.

That said, both decisions are complete horse balls! The drawing of lines, and maybe even slow-mo, should be scrapped altogether for VAR. If you can’t spot a foul on the replay played at normal speed...then any mistake isn’t clear or obvious! 

I don’t think it’s shopped. I think the new hand ball rule takes into account the sleeve of the shirt as it has to be below the t-shirt line to be handball. Therefore you could technically score with the top of the arm where his sleeve is.

Pretty daft rule and these offsides are completely random now to my eyes. I can’t see how Mane was offside at all. 

• Like 1

Â