The Video Assistant Referee (VAR)

Stevo985

4 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I know I’ve been massively wrong about how effective VAR would be. 

But this is yet another example of the technology working, but massive incompetence meaning it’s used appallingly. 

I don’t know what they’re playing at

This is where I've been at for most of the season but I think last night was the turning point for me where I'd now get rid of it.

If the people can't use the system properly then there's no point in the system being in place. If there had been no VAR last night the decision is still wrong but its an explainable wrong decision made in the heat of the moment. Its far more frustrating when we try and use technology and still get to the wrong decisions. 

I'd go back to how it used to be now. If the ref makes a mistake then he makes a mistake but at least its not compounded by ridiculous mistakes with the replays available.

• Like 2

We already knew that we can capture moving pictures and record it on video so that that part of VAR is working isn't really up for debate.

For me VAR is the combination of the technology AND the Refs watching the video. And that's been even worse than I thought it would be.

Hate it.

• Like 2

At the risk of sounding condescending this is what I was banging on about in my staunch opposition to VAR from the outset.

You can have all the wonderful technology in the world but it still comes down to a human making a decision, and that will never be 100% accurate because:

a) so much of football is about opinion and interpretation

b) humans are so very badly flawed in so many ways

Worst thing to ever be introduced into football in my opinion.

• Like 1

Apologies if this is a daft question, but when they are reviewing the decisions from Stockley Park, are they also listening to the SKY commentators or just judging the incidents with no sound?

I ask purely because of last night's penalty against us (which I'm still not over!) - Gary Neville was talking absolute bullsh*t through the incident (obviously being a red) and I just wonder does that influence the decisions at Stockley?

3 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Not sure which rag he said it in because I only saw it in a Schmeichel tweet - Peter Walton has said that VAR isn't there to make correct decisions it's only there to see if the ref made a clear and obvious error

So in other words last night was the wrong decision but you can see why moss gave it so the decision stands

What an absolute load of bollocks

Its there so you can see it from different angles and slower speeds helping to make the right decision 

How the **** are the PL getting it so wrong? Hard to see beyond incompetence and arrogance 

If that was really true then some of those armpit offsides should've been allowed as no way those were clear and obvious offside calls.

• Like 3

There are 2 major major flaws. 

First is the "clear and obvious error" thing. Those on the screens are using this as an excuse to never override the on the field decisions.  If for example the penalty hadn't been given, not in a million years would they have overruled it. 

They need to go back to just deciding on what they have seen, completely ignoring the on field decision. 

Any error should be clear and obvious, if your watching something from different angles in slow mo, you will inevitably see something the ref has missed.  It's not undermining him or ridiculing him..  It's just so stupid that they almost never overrule him. 

Secondly is the pernickety rulings on silly immaterial things, like the Mings offside heel and a million others.  They seem to delight in overruling perfectly good goals in tiny infringements which any ounce of common sense would say has not given an unfair advantage or allowed cheating. 

As it stands it's totally ruining the game and I knew 100% that we would get screwed over by it more than others when it was introduced. 

Hate it, absolutely hate it. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

There has been a massive reluctance all season to overturn decisions. Almost like VAR is being used primarily to justify the decisions that refs make.

It's actually not though.  As others have said they will quite happily overturn decisions when it's some minor tiny infraction no one even noticed. Yeslt happily go along to let major wrongs stand. 

It's utterly bonkers. 

It's like they are trolling football. 

Edited by sidcow

Would VAR have overturned it down the other end? You absolutely bet they would. Which is the worst part for me. You can have all the technology in the world, but a referee of any kind will still side with the top 6 sides. It's in their nature. No one will change that. It's why I hate the premier league. 

The championship, the refs are poor, but you know they will be poor for both sides.

Also, didn't realise Jon Moss gave that penalty for that God awful dive in the man utd v spurs game. Someone, somewhere should really be looking into this and why he is allowed to keep giving such soft decisions to one team.

I genuinely believe now that VAR is merely an implementing tool for a corrupt FA & Premier League. There is simply no other explanation which holds water as to why it is used in the way it is, especially as this is different to other countries who have used it for longer & with more success. Then there is the fact that despite it clearly being appalling the Premier League have point blank refused to stop using it until reviewed and continue to affect games as they choose to manipulate the League as they like.

As an example clearly Man U would bring in big money for the League by being in the Champs League and twice we have lost points and had games changed by VAR corruption against then this season last night was another example.

Liverpool have barely had a decision against them all season either whereas Arsenal appear to have benefited largely too.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, bobzy said:

I agree with the sentiment it should be used to correct clear and obvious errors...

...but last night was a clear and obvious error.

If that decision doesn't clear the bar of "clear and obvious", what does? It's such an obvious cop out. If clear and obvious was the criteria, why do we measure millimetre offsides? Or the balls grazing the hand of an attacker/defender before a goal? It's a lie.

1 hour ago, NoelVilla said:

It is corruption going on at the same level FIFA and UEFA usually are up to. The game really is gone.

It's even more galling because we were clearly on top at the time. Trezeguet just hit the post, and United weren't in the game at all. That call gave them a jolt, and absolutely deflated us. It's sickening. Could see us getting relegated. I had us good for a point up til that point.

So maybe its best to go through the decisions this season. I might have missed 1 or 2

FOR.

NYland vs Sheffield United

Mings not getting a red for headbutting El Ghazi

Firmino disallowed goal

AGAINST.

Lansbury disallowed goal vs Palace

phantom corner in the Carabao Cup final

decisions vs Arsenal

Fernandes dive

Mane not getting a red at Villa Park

No penalty for El Ghazi vs Sheffield United

Engels assaulted at Bournemouth by the goalkeeper

McGinn disallowed goal vs Burnley

VAR stinks and even worse when led by such a corrupt league

VAR should in theory be a tech that improves the game, if used correctly. When the final decision  is still being made by corrupt self interest officials than this becomes a better platform for them to justify their corruptness.

And the " clear and obvious " rule, more of a benefit for teams like " you know who" when trigger happy refs will award them a pen in the first instance, and you have to get that subjective "clear and obvious" to rule it out, and not vice versa.

Btw the handball rule needs to be changed as well. Yesterday we crossed into the box and hit a Palace hand 2 yards away, clearly unintentional but in Italy and Spain this is a penalty. Farcical rules

On 11/07/2020 at 22:14, Zatman said:

So maybe its best to go through the decisions this season. I might have missed 1 or 2

FOR.

NYland vs Sheffield United

Mings not getting a red for headbutting El Ghazi

Firmino disallowed goal

AGAINST.

Lansbury disallowed goal vs Palace

phantom corner in the Carabao Cup final

decisions vs Arsenal

Fernandes dive

Mane not getting a red at Villa Park

No penalty for El Ghazi vs Sheffield United

Engels assaulted at Bournemouth by the goalkeeper