The Video Assistant Referee (VAR)

Stevo985

I thought the Palace goal should have stood yesterday, looked like shoulder to me which I thought was allowed.

Certainly didn’t appear a “clear and obvious” error by the referee.

I’m also very surprised Grealish’s appalling dive was not punished with a card.

• Like 3

On 11/07/2020 at 23:14, Zatman said:

So maybe its best to go through the decisions this season. I might have missed 1 or 2

FOR.

NYland vs Sheffield United

Mings not getting a red for headbutting El Ghazi

Firmino disallowed goal

AGAINST.

Lansbury disallowed goal vs Palace

phantom corner in the Carabao Cup final

decisions vs Arsenal

Fernandes dive

Mane not getting a red at Villa Park

No penalty for El Ghazi vs Sheffield United

Engels assaulted at Bournemouth by the goalkeeper

McGinn disallowed goal vs Burnley

VAR stinks and even worse when led by such a corrupt league

Billing should have had red, and that dude that destroyed Wesley also should have had red for dangerous play.

But, the Lansbury goal could never be given, because the referee blew the whistle before the shot.

Edited by momo

7 minutes ago, Dante_Lockhart said:

Think I preferred it when Refs had the final say on everything. If they missed it they missed it. They're only human.

Missing it after numerous replay angles and discussions just takes the piss.

that was my argument from the very beginning of the thread! they should be targeting making refs better, fitter, younger and hope that more competent came along with it

there seems to be a bit of a myth around refs that the old experienced guys make the best refs, don't see why that's necessarily the case

who scouts the refs? how do you become an elite level ref? who is offering the tens of thousands of young failed footballers dropping out of football every year a route back in to football by being a ref? it seems like they have to spend 10 years+ kicking it around the lower leagues to then get the chance, then ask the question why cant they keep up with world class athletes? who have a support team of 20+ people such as physios, sports scientists, masseuses, nutritionists, dieticians, coaches, managers just to get them out on the pitch, comparatively what team does a ref have? compared to the hours of practice and looking after themselves footballers are expected to put in how many hours a week do refs actually work? would they be better if they were paid more, or at least it seem a more lucrative job choice rather than the seemingly archaic basic salary plus fees?

all of that will lead you to the question why are people surprised 49 year old John Moss needs help keeping up?

See the source image

Edited by villa4europe
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Dante_Lockhart said:

Think I preferred it when Refs had the final say on everything. If they missed it they missed it. They're only human.

Exactly why they should use the screens. It gives the same ref some help by giving him extra angles and slow mo, but it's still him giving the final decisions.

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Exactly why they should use the screens. It gives the same ref some help by giving him extra angles and slow mo, but it's still him giving the final decisions.

VAR at the World Cup was great. No idea why they didn't do that in the PL. I think this week was the first time all season that a ref used the pitch-side screen, can't remember which game it was.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

VAR at the World Cup was great. No idea why they didn't do that in the PL. I think this week was the first time all season that a ref used the pitch-side screen, can't remember which game it was.

Because PL were arrogant and thought they could do it better

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Dante_Lockhart said:

Well I guess VAR was introduced partly in response to the fact that managers used to spend 20 minutes after every match disputing referees' decisions.  So why not introduce a review system independent of the refs, like had been brought in so successfully in cricket and tennis?

There is nothing intrinsically wrong with the concept of VAR, and if used properly it could actually improve referees' decision making. But its implementation in the PL seems to have been incredibly botched. Taking 5 minutes while offside decisions are measured with a slide rule, and what appear to be clearly wrong decisions like disallowing Palace's goal yesterday and awarding Fernandes a spot kick in the Man U game, just to take two immediate examples, are discrediting the whole process. 

There needs to be a thorough review at the end of the season of what has gone wrong with implementation and what quite significant changes need to be made to get it working better and in the favour of the football being played, not against as at present.

5 hours ago, Genie said:

I thought the Palace goal should have stood yesterday, looked like shoulder to me which I thought was allowed.

Certainly didn’t appear a “clear and obvious” error by the referee.

I’m also very surprised Grealish’s appalling dive was not punished with a card.

I'm pretty sure that Moss felt he owed us one for the other day.  He also got the chance to overturn the Grealish penalty, it was pretty much the exact same scenario as against Urinal, it was like he had the chance to say well if I'd had a look at the Fernandes one I'd have overturned that one too.  

1 hour ago, Keyblade said:

Yeah what Zat said.

It's like they wanted to fix problems that didn't exist and made it ten times worse in the process.

4 hours ago, Dante_Lockhart said:

Yep, at least there was a degree of integrity about the mistakes previously, things done in the heat of the moment can be incorrect, I think most people accepted that referees could not be infallible.

However, when it’s taking minutes to make a decision you have to begin wondering how artificial those decisions are and exactly what forces are manipulating them.

FOOTBALL IS CORRUPT.

Edited by bannedfromHandV

Two stonewall penalties in the Man City game last night inexplicably not given. One was looked at and not given. The other overturned for no reason.

It's proper bizarre stuff.

They really should look at the betting patterns for the games in the PL. Some of the calls given and not given are too bizarre as to not start asking questions.

5 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Two stonewall penalties in the Man City game last night inexplicably not given. One was looked at and not given. The other overturned for no reason.

It's proper bizarre stuff.

The 2nd one was proper weird. Yes, he stepped on his leg, but if his leg wasn't there, he keeps going. Totally different to the Konsa/Fernandes situation.

Then Bournemouth's goal, the VAF ref put the line on King's boot, then moved it forward which made him offside :D 

9 minutes ago, tom_avfc said:

Shocker in the Palace United game too. Absolute stonewall penalty on Zaha not given.

VAR is genuinely starting to look like a tool to help the bigger teams at the moment. 

its corrupt and it **** stinks

If any investigative journalist had balls they would investigate this farce

• Like 2

Just now, Zatman said:

its corrupt and it **** stinks

If any investigative journalist had balls they would investigate this farce

Why can’t one of the red tops do something useful for once and start a campaign to get it thrown out?

7 minutes ago, Genie said:

Why can’t one of the red tops do something useful for once and start a campaign to get it thrown out?

too much money involved for them. Every controversial shitty decision means more articles they can sell

• Like 1

There must be something in these Sky and MOTD pundits’ contracts that stipulates no-one can mention the simple, damning, fact that VAR technology has a 10-15cm margin of error. Round and round they go with every decision, never mentioning the key bit of pseudo-science at the heart of the phoney new VAR religion..

Â