The Video Assistant Referee (VAR)

Stevo985

What the **** kind of arbitrary line is this? A kind of percentage down the bicep, at a point with no distinctive features. They're making it impossible. Is this why our sleeves are so long this season? :D 

1 minute ago, Davkaus said:

What the **** kind of arbitrary line is this? A kind of percentage down the bicep, at a point with no distinctive features. They're making it impossible. Is this why our sleeves are so long this season? :D 

It is a ridiculous rule and like you say longer sleeves are going to make it pretty difficult to make any judgment on this.

Coupled with VAR trying to distinguish the most marginal of decisions it’s pretty ridiculous.

Having said that, watching the game live my instinct was that Van Dijk was offside but Mane wasn’t. I genuinely don’t think VAR offers anything with these marginal decisions and still think a tolerance margin needs to be introduced before a decision is overturned. 

32 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

it’s supposed to be a horizontal line from the armpit.

Just now, ball in to Rashford 1 on 1 with Darlow and they crash into each other both needing treatment. Then the flag goes up.

Its a stupid, stupid rule that they don’t flag straight away. Someone will get seriously injured before they change it back.

Just now, Genie said:

Just now, ball in to Rashford 1 on 1 with Darlow and they crash into each other both needing treatment. Then the flag goes up.

Its a stupid, stupid rule that they don’t flag straight away. Someone will get seriously injured before they change it back.

I’m not sure he was actually offside to be fair. If he’d put it in that could easily have been given as a goal on review. When it’s as tight as that I don’t have too much issue with it. It’s the blatant offsides which don’t get flagged immediately that are more of a concern.

Just now, tom_avfc said:

I’m not sure he was actually offside to be fair. If he’d put it in that could easily have been given as a goal on review. When it’s as tight as that I don’t have too much issue with it. It’s the blatant offsides which don’t get flagged immediately that are more of a concern.

Yeah, but regardless, the flag stays down until the conclusion of the attack which is stupid. It didn’t stay down because it was a close call.

Just now, Genie said:

Yeah, but regardless, the flag stays down until the conclusion of the attack which is stupid. It didn’t stay down because it was a close call.

I was more saying that I think it should stay down when it’s a close call. Otherwise you wouldn’t eliminate incorrect offside calls as it would be too late.

I agree in cases where it’s obviously offside they should be flagging but in that particular case the goal would have been disallowed by a flag and then wouldn’t have been able to be overturned.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

There’s no answer to why Mane was given offside. I think there’s something sinister at play. Maybe they have been advised they need to keep the title race a lot tighter this season and with a lot more teams involved. 

and at the same time it misses the Pickford challenge on Van Dyke.  What is VAR for if its not for the things the ref misses. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, villa4europe said:

VAR can't save us from shit refs 

Its a tool, nothing more, put it in the hands of an idiot and you get penalties like that 

This. Any technology is only as good as the hands it is in. 

Even so, it’s incredibly hard to fathom how pretty much every sport other than football can get this right with little to no controversy. If I was more cynical, I would suggest that some clubs’ favouritism would get found out if it was done properly. If, of course.

Call me crazy but one idea ive got on the offside rule to make it more obvious and indisputable either way is to change it so that you are only offside if you are past the last defender and there is a visible gap between attacker and defender(torso only not leg or arm). Its too close when 2 players are level and it comes down to a heel or virtually nothing.

Thoughts? 

5 hours ago, neilski said:

Call me crazy but one idea ive got on the offside rule to make it more obvious and indisputable either way is to change it so that you are only offside if you are past the last defender and there is a visible gap between attacker and defender(torso only not leg or arm). Its too close when 2 players are level and it comes down to a heel or virtually nothing.

Thoughts? 

Souness (I think) said this last season. 

One, we don’t have the cameras to show frame by frame as to when they are clear. You also need the same clear space between the player playing ball as to when they no longer have it.

Two, I think it leads to strikers spending more time on the edge, defenders have to drop back meaning less goals.

6 hours ago, neilski said:

Thoughts? 

It wouldn't make a difference as to controversy, because you will still get close calls that will be disputed.

It's the same how some people say there should be a margin for error. I hear what you are saying, but an offside is an offside - it's not like a foul where it can be disputed, offside is a measurable, objective phenomenon. We actually could, with the right technology, measure offsides to a millimeter. 

Unfortunately, what we have now isn't it.

Edited by Mic09

8 hours ago, PaulC said:

and at the same time it misses the Pickford challenge on Van Dyke.  What is VAR for if its not for the things the ref misses. 

Yep but they can explain the Pickford challenge.  Because it was offside they couldn’t punish him for the tackle it self so they then had to judge if it was serious foul play and warranted a red card or not. They decided it didn’t. A bad call but it’s subjective and decision has to be made. 

But the offside I do not understand what they are seeing.  He looks onside and I’m yet to hear them explain it.

56 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

It wouldn't make a difference as to controversy, because you will still get close calls that will be disputed.

It's the same how some people say there should be a margin for error. I hear what you are saying, but an offside is an offside - it's not like a foul where it can be disputed, offside is a measurable, objective phenomenon. We actually could, with the right technology, measure offsides to a millimeter. 

Unfortunately, what we have now isn't it.

But I still don’t understand how Mane is offside. If it’s his arm then surely that means it’s not offside because he can’t score with his arm.  

Â