The Video Assistant Referee (VAR)

Stevo985

They pick and choose “clear and obvious” too. The goal we had chalked off because Wes’s heel was 2mm offside in the previous passage of play. How TF was allowing the goal a clear and obvious error? The ball was cleared, then it came back in for the goal, wasn’t even as if we scored from that cycle.

I think they hide behind "clear and obvious" a lot of the time. Not singling out United but both the penalty they won against us and the penalty that Palace should have had against them were as clear and obvious errors as you'll ever see.

The commentators and pundits just gloss over it with a throwaway line of "the clear and obvious rule has meant VAR hasn't overturned that" and we move on. Then we get 1mm offside decisions which the technology can't even be sure on whether its right or wrong and all of a sudden clear and obvious doesn't come into it any more.

Its easy to see how the system could be manipulated in the favour of bigger teams and the subconscious bias that was supposed to be eradicated by VAR is actually made worse.

With the off side thing they should position the line, then hit a button and it turns into a thicker band to represent the margin for error. If it’s outside of that thicker band then yes, give it offside. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Genie said:

With the off side thing they should position the line, then hit a button and it turns into a thicker band to represent the margin for error. If it’s outside of that thicker band then yes, give it offside. 

Yeah I think there has to be some margin of error built into the offside decisions. I think you stick with the on field decision and overturn only in cases where the technology can prove without doubt that the wrong decision has been made.

1 hour ago, Genie said:

Would also be nice if they made an effort to keep the ball in the frame when they draw the line as when you do see how the ball moves between frames it becomes obvious that decisions given on minutiae are farcical.

• Like 2

"clear and obvious" is a nonsense phrase and just muddies the water further.

I don't think it's corrupt, I think it's just been implemented horrifically and is riddled with incompetence

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Mantis said:

I honestly barely celebrated our goal against Everton yesterday because I thought there was a decent chance VAR would chalk it off. Unless it's a screamer from 30 yards, there's usually always the threat of VAR hanging over you.

Yeah it's every goal now. I don't even have a bad reaction to conceding just in case

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Mantis said:

I honestly barely celebrated our goal against Everton yesterday because I thought there was a decent chance VAR would chalk it off. Unless it's a screamer from 30 yards, there's usually always the threat of VAR hanging over you.

Agreed I hate it, despise it, far more than I ever thought I would. Really hope they scrap it but a good decision from UEFA/FIFA is probably too much to ask for. 

3 hours ago, Mantis said:

Same, I need at least 2 replay to have some confidence if its gonna stand.

There was a couple of times we attacked and looked like might have made a heavy challenge in the build up, I was thinking I hope we don't score immediately because it'll probably get pulled back for that and chalked off.

It is genuinely ruining the game.

• Like 2

It hasn't been a success. Goals scored have gone to VAR and taken ages to be decided by another ref at Stockley park and then ruled out for a very marginal offside or hitting the shoulder of an attacker. Its still very much down to the interpretation of another ref unlike Tennis or cricket where there is that margin of error allowed for. He has to be totally revised or scrapped. Var should not overrule minor errors.  

4 hours ago, Mantis said:

Which is exactly the opposite to what watching football should be about.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Genie said:

Same, I need at least 2 replay to have some confidence if its gonna stand.

There was a couple of times we attacked and looked like might have made a heavy challenge in the build up, I was thinking I hope we don't score immediately because it'll probably get pulled back for that and chalked off.

It is genuinely ruining the game.

I remember one which looked like a handball in the midfield and nothing was given, we then attacked down the left and I sat there and thought 'please don't score'

It's absolutely pathetic.

• Like 1

Interesting listening to David Meyler saying he was a ro for nearly 15 years and he doesn't know what a handball is anymore. If the players dont know, the refs probably haven't a clue either

• 3 weeks later...
On 19/07/2020 at 16:29, Tegis said:

The Man City one against was a shocker If a player is even a speck in the keepers eye and is offside he's "influencing play" then alone standing right in front of him.

Â