The Video Assistant Referee (VAR)

Stevo985

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Villaphan04 said:

Second game back and VAR is already looking better than it did last year. Giving the refs the directive to go to the pitch side monitor 

Definitely, Moss overturned his decision having looked at it when there's no way it would have been overturned as a clear error by the VAR ref.  It took hardly any time to do it as well.  Big thumbs up from me.

4 hours ago, blunther said:

Why the hell didn't they do that last year? The random bloke in a shed somewhere being the ultimate arbiter of the match was so bloody stupid. This gives refs their authority back. 

Because we're england and we have to do everything differently. 

It never made any sense. It should be a conversation between the video ref and the on pitch ref while reviewing the footage with the on field ref having the ultimate decision.

Giving the decision to someone else with no consultation just adds massive inconsistency and removes any understanding of why the original decision was given

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Because we're england and we have to do everything differently. 

It never made any sense. It should be a conversation between the video ref and the on pitch ref while reviewing the footage with the on field ref having the ultimate decision.

Giving the decision to someone else with no consultation just adds massive inconsistency and removes any understanding of why the original decision was given

Allowed United to get top 4 at least.

Another ludicrous hand ball decision.  It's more the rules than VAR but this any contract with the arm/hand is a penalty is ludicrous. 

As I said yesterday then now have the technology to identify whenever a player has deliberately moved his hand to the ball.  Using it to identify silly ricochets and point blank shots at the arm is just stupid. 

The rule was always deliberate hand ball and that's what we need to go back to. 

The rule is there to stop people gaining unfair advantage by using their hands/arms.  That's not what is happening in these cases. 

Edited by sidcow

4 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

Genuine question, what’s handball and what isn’t? I don’t know the rules anymore. 

Honestly, I wish VAR just didn’t exist. It’s a laugh, I get that, but it really is ruining football.

If the ball touches the hand/arm under any circumstances whatsoever, it's hand ball..... Which is stupid. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

Genuine question, what’s handball and what isn’t? I don’t know the rules anymore. 

Honestly, I wish VAR just didn’t exist. It’s a laugh, I get that, but it really is ruining football.

The stupid difference between an attacking handball leading to a goal and a defensive handball is still there (as in the intent doesn’t matter if a goal results from the ball in anyway grazing an attacking players arm but not for anywhere else on the pitch). I don’t think anything there has changed, which makes some of the decisions yesterday odd.

The clarification is where the ball touches the arm, and i assume this is for offside too, in that the area of the body that can play the ball has moved. if you draw a circle horizontally around the arm from the armpit, it’s been worded that the ball can touch the area above that.

So it’s a change, but I remember from my youth that area being universally known as the ‘shoulder’ and was fine.

Essentially it’s still a mess.

It's good to see that VAR is starting to look a bit better this season, given it seems to have been successfully adopted by every other sport ever. It'll probably take a few years before they find the sweet spot where it improves decisions without slowing games unnecessarily, but it's a price worth paying imo. I find the VAR actually makes things more interesting in rugby when there's a try with dubious grounding etc because watching all the camera views is kinda cool, especially in the stadium when you didn't necessarily get a great view first time.

The other thing I'd like to see that works well in rugby is players being cited after the game. I think it's kinda crazy that there isn't an official inquest when one player badly injures another (i.e. what happened to Wesley) and long suspensions being handed out for any foul / reckless play. If used sensibly it could really help cut down on blatant diving, too, which could only be a good thing.

5 hours ago, sidcow said:

If the ball touches the hand/arm under any circumstances whatsoever, it's hand ball..... Which is stupid. 

Its shitty but also fair if thats the rule all the time. I dont see it being same rule every week

8 hours ago, Panto_Villan said:

It's good to see that VAR is starting to look a bit better this season, given it seems to have been successfully adopted by every other sport ever. It'll probably take a few years before they find the sweet spot where it improves decisions without slowing games unnecessarily, but it's a price worth paying imo. I find the VAR actually makes things more interesting in rugby when there's a try with dubious grounding etc because watching all the camera views is kinda cool, especially in the stadium when you didn't necessarily get a great view first time.

The other thing I'd like to see that works well in rugby is players being cited after the game. I think it's kinda crazy that there isn't an official inquest when one player badly injures another (i.e. what happened to Wesley) and long suspensions being handed out for any foul / reckless play. If used sensibly it could really help cut down on blatant diving, too, which could only be a good thing.

Some good points there.  If it is still a rule, the idea if the ref gives a yellow It can’t be reviewed for a blatant red that was missed. Use the tech. A positive outcome for all. Well except the “top six”. Boo hoo. How bad. Too sad.

Definitely a lot better now that refs are using the monitors. Who'd have thought that not trying to be different for no reason would work?

It provides consistency in the thinking behind decisions. It's crucial that stays.

The minute offside decisions and the handballs are still issues but I think that's down to rules rather than VAR (they come hand in hand but it's the rules that need to be tweaked). That Lindelof handball on the weekend was ludicrous but going by the rules it's a handball.

• Like 3

22 hours ago, sidcow said:

The rule is there to stop people gaining unfair advantage by using their hands/arms.  That's not what is happening in these cases. 

Problem is you can get an unfair advantage from an accidental handball too. Like Danny Ings disallowed goal where the ball hit his hand and fell perfectly for him. Then I guess it's a question of whether it's too hard to have different rules at different ends of the pitch or whether refs can be trusted to make subjective decisions without **** it up...which I don't think they can.

The Swedish commentator last night mentioned that FIFA (or UEFA) had banned individual leagues from making up their own interpretations and versions of VAR (like the PL did last season) and that this season all leagues should have the same system.

No idea if this is correct but the PL seem to have changed their version into a better one.

Just as VAR has improved the authorities have now **** things up by messing with the handball rules. Sometimes you think they are doing this intentionally

15 penalties in 22 Premier League games so far, can see the top scorer numbers being higher this season 

• Like 1

Â