The Game's Gone

NurembergVillan

On 12/08/2022 at 10:23, villa4europe said:

That's where I was too

Usually it was a brilliant day out derailed by a football match 

That was us on a match day when I owned the Boldmere Oak. The lads would land at 10am for breakfast, few beers then off to the Aston Hotel. Post match back to the Aston Hotel then back to mine and into Sutton or town (mate).

Every home game without fail for years, the game was an excuse to go on a bender. Then I got married and grew up. Very rarely have a drop these days. 

• Like 2

On 12/08/2022 at 10:02, tomav84 said:

well, no, if you're on an all dayer and want to go out after the game, then having 3 hour break (on the basis you leave the pub at 2.30 and aren't back in the pub till 5.30) really does kill the buzz. i never buy beer at the ground, home or away, and as a result there have been several times i've planned to go out when i got home and not bothered because i stopped drinking for a few hours

What a thrill !

8 hours ago, jim said:

That was us on a match day when I owned the Boldmere Oak. The lads would land at 10am for breakfast, few beers then off to the Aston Hotel. Post match back to the Aston Hotel then back to mine and into Sutton or town (mate).

Every home game without fail for years, the game was an excuse to go on a bender. Then I got married and grew up. Very rarely have a drop these days. 

I never did it for home games I was always able to keep it down to 2 or 3 beers and sensible but then like a mini stag do for 10 away games a season

Then we got Bruce... 

We played Leeds in the championship at home on something like the 28th December evening kick off, I left my house at 8am to go for a breakfast and get the train up to brum, drank in town (mate), I'm on double rums by the time I get to the holte Hotel, get a message during the game from my brother cos he's out in kiddy that night... Get in at 4am

3 weeks later I do Brentford away on a Tuesday night, book 2 days off work, start at mid day, drank in the 3 corner pubs (1 was shut) I'm blind drunk, can't find people in the standing area, takes me until about the 30th minute to even start properly watching the game, turn my mate and say we look alright here he says what the **** you on about we're 2-0 down

Walked away, gave my season ticket to a mate and didn't go again 

I was drinking, I wasn't watching football 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

turn my mate and say we look alright here he says what the **** you on about we're 2-0 down

Reminds me of a friend who went to the pub for the FA cup final, supports liverpool and they were playing in it. Absolute session ensued, woke up the next morning and had to get google out to see who won the cup. 

10 hours ago, jim said:

Plus the current price of match/season tickets and travel makes it an expensive day even before the refreshments.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

Plus the current price of match/season tickets and travel makes it an expensive day even before the refreshments.

I used to think an away game was £100 including travel but probably not including the cans for the travel but that depended on where it was

are they still doing the £30 away ticket? £30 ticket, £20 coach, £40 booze, £10 food + more cans on top

fortunately I was never one for the gear adding to that expense (hence the sleeping)

Mildly funny detail from an article listing all players not to make a PL bench so far this season:

'NOTTINGHAM FOREST
Harry Arter: Earned a pay rise and another year on his contract when Forest were promoted to the Premier League while he was on loan in the National League.'

from: https://www.football365.com/news/55-premier-league-players-bench-barkley-winks-bellerin

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

59 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Mildly funny detail from an article listing all players not to make a PL bench so far this season:

'NOTTINGHAM FOREST
Harry Arter: Earned a pay rise and another year on his contract when Forest were promoted to the Premier League while he was on loan in the National League.'

from: https://www.football365.com/news/55-premier-league-players-bench-barkley-winks-bellerin

Was a rumour Kalinic and McCormack had similar clauses but we just paid McCormack up

• Like 1

Anyone experience the bunch of pubeless 12 year old weapons that travelled away from the match on the train with the Villa fans? As soon as they got off the train it was the old "bang-on-the-window-giving-rocket polisher-signs-and-offering-fights-out" routine.

Probably a group of about 30-40, all with man-bags waiting for their voices to break. 

Embarrassing. 

I can only assume it is for the social media audiences so they can talk about beings legends to someone.

13 minutes ago, May-Z said:

Anyone experience the bunch of pubeless 12 year old weapons that travelled away from the match on the train with the Villa fans? As soon as they got off the train it was the old "bang-on-the-window-giving-rocket polisher-signs-and-offering-fights-out" routine.

Probably a group of about 30-40, all with man-bags waiting for their voices to break. 

Embarrassing. 

I can only assume it is for the social media audiences so they can talk about beings legends to someone.

Saw a video online along these lines recently where a couple of guys actually got off the train and the 40 or so teenagers all immediately legged it. 

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, May-Z said:

Embarrassing. 

Can only imagine how many didn’t have tickets - let’s hope the BTP look into it. It disgusts me how these clout chasing muppets make everyone feel unsafe - be it on buses or trains, just don’t. 

Why are Man City playing Barcelona in a friendly tonight?

I know it's for Charity, but given that City will spend half of the rest of the season moaning about the pressure on their players and given that the season started three weeks ago, do these two really need the publicity this much?

It's very 'Super league'.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Why are Man City playing Barcelona in a friendly tonight?

I know it's for Charity, but given that City will spend half of the rest of the season moaning about the pressure on their players and given that the season started three weeks ago, do these two really need the publicity this much?

It's very 'Super league'.

It isnt, Barcelona are playing.

Â