The Game's Gone

NurembergVillan

A thread to put your examples of modern football being rubbish.  I'm expecting this to be at 1000 pages by the end of the season.

I'll start.

This is the Madrid derby tonight, at Atletico's new Wanda Metropolitano stadium.  Firstly the stadium name is horrible because of the sponsor, but we're kind of used to that nonsense now.

But look at the advertising boards.  Seemingly it's a system called "Chroma" that shows different advertising boards on TV than in the stadium based on your location.  Image watching Villa v Small Heath on telly and seeing "'Arry's Tax Consultants" running round the sides.

Money 1 Local rivalry 0.

DO8hx0BX4AIKAy7.jpg:large

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Not a huge fan of the "make sure Qatar can import more players for their World Cup" idea.

FIFA to look into changing nationality rules

ZURICH (Reuters) - FIFA is considering an overhaul of the rules which govern players’ eligibility for national teams, including a proposal which would allow them to switch allegiance in certain circumstances.

Victor Montagliani, head of FIFA’s stakeholders’ committee, said there were issues regarding the rules, which are aimed at preventing players from switching between national teams or representing countries they have no connection with. “There are so many issues that have popped up over the years because the world is changing, immigration is changing,” said the Canadian, who is president of the North, Central America and Caribbean federation (CONCACAF).

“There are nationality issues that pop up all over the world, in Africa, there are issues in Asia and CONCACAF, so its a good time to have a look at this and see if there are solutions, without hurting the integrity of the game.”At present, players who have played a competitive international for one team cannot switch to another national side even when they hold dual nationality.

The Cape Verde football federation has proposed this rule be relaxed in cases where the player has played only one or two games for his original national side but has no realistic chance of a recall.Players are only allowed to represent a country with which they have no blood connection if they have lived and played there for five years, but Montagliani said his committee would look into changing that period and possibly increasing it.

World soccer’s ruling body could also look into a compensation scheme in cases where a player goes through the training system of one country and represents it a youth level before switching to another.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-soccer-fifa-nationalities/fifa-to-look-into-changing-nationality-rules-idUSKBN1CO31N

Also think VAR will turn out to be a horrible idea.

And the new format for the Euro's is the worst piece of crap to come out of UEFA in a very long time.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Xela said:

Top level football as a sport for the fans died years ago.

It's just a business now with a weakening product. The standard of football (imo) has been on a downward trajectory for a number of years. 

I genuinely would love to see it all come crashing down. 

I sympathise and partially agree, for sure. One of the consolations of being in the Endsleigh League, as we are is that the game seems a bit more "grounded". Tickets are less unreasonably priced, there's no glory hunters, there's opportunities for large away support to still go to some grounds. And the standard is (IMO) not all that different to what the top level was like before the Premier league was invented.

The premier league now, at the top, is massively higher standard than for a very long time, perhaps ever and there are signs that they've started to think about responding to supporters being priced out, a tiny bit. The away price limit, frozen prices for a few years at most clubs.

It's become a corporate plaything, a tool for Oil nations and billionaires and almost a form of propaganda, in some respects. I don't think it'll ever come crashing down as a game. As a business, maybe.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Xela said:

Top level football as a sport for the fans died years ago.

It's just a business now with a weakening product. The standard of football (imo) has been on a downward trajectory for a number of years. 

I genuinely would love to see it all come crashing down. 

This, for sure.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, blandy said:

The premier league now, at the top, is massively higher standard than for a very long time, perhaps ever and there are signs that they've started to think about responding to supporters being priced out, a tiny bit. The away price limit, frozen prices for a few years at most clubs.

It's become a corporate plaything, a tool for Oil nations and billionaires and almost a form of propaganda, in some respects. I don't think it'll ever come crashing down as a game. As a business, maybe.

Really? I don't see it. Then again I am looking at it through rose tinted spectacles of yonder. For me the general era of Beckham, Keane, Giggs, Scholes, Ronaldo, Veira, Petit, Bergkamp, Henry etc was far better than it is now. What was that? 15 years back? Game seems to lack the passion and bite of those days. 

I guess the players are fitter now for sure. Maybe quality was the wrong word  - perhaps excitement is word I was looking for?

Then again, the teams from 7 down in the Premier League now are (IMO) pretty poor. 

• Like 4

Football was a harder game in the 80s and 90s and other than the average level of fitness/ athleticism the game hasn't improved. Players aren't better technically now than in those two decades and there sure as hell aren't as many 'entertainers'. 

Edited by Dr_Pangloss
  • Like 1

I'd love football to implode on itself, because it's ridiculous now, and the fans are getting taken for mugs. Let's strip it back down to how it used to be, and if players don't like it, then go and get another job, or should I say a proper job. 

• Like 1

Danny Rose speaking about his wages says it all really. No need to single Danny out when I could mention almost every Brazilian player of the last 10 years. That Mino Raiola has gotten so rich doing absolutely nothing. That not even rich american owners can compete(Kroenke and FSG group). That managers who have shown incompetence get job after job. Could be a longer and more structured post but Im trying to watch Andy Carroll brake a few noses.

• Like 2

On 11/18/2017 at 23:58, NurembergVillan said:

This is the Madrid derby tonight,

The diving and constant surrounding of the referee putting pressure on him and showing obvious dissent was far far more annoying than the advertising boards.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ThunderPower_14 said:

Two things that I absolutely hate about modern football

1. Financial Fair Play. The big clubs lock in the glass ceiling and the never ending gravy train of CL football, and everyone else golf claps it in as being good for the game. The fact that Dr Tony can't invest in our club without having to be creative with his accounting is ridiculous. I absolutely agree that clubs shouldn't be able to be saddled with debt, but the current system is awful.

2. The loan system. It's absolute bullshit that a club like Chelsea can get around FFP by having 80 players on the books with 50 of them out on loan. There needs to be a cap on the amount of players you can have out on loan.

I'm fine with football being all about wallet size for the most part. There is really no way around that given the amount of money in the game. What I don't like is the massive advantages given to rich clubs to entrench themselves ahead of the chasing pack.

I agree on both but the loan system really annoys me more than anything in football. The only thing positive about it is its an advantage to the national side that young English players get loaned out and able to progress at other clubs. But yes a cap shoud be put on it

man utd announced their official coffee partner this morning

FFP was the brain fart of a director who worked for the most financially powerful and marketable club in the world at the time, i honestly dont know why more people didnt see it for what it was at the time

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

man utd announced their official coffee partner this morning

Oh come on, you can't drop some massive news like that without telling us who it is.

• Like 1

melitta, never heard of them but the thought of utd fans having to pay £4 for a barista made cup of coffee in OT does make me smile

my point was and always is on FFP that the notion of a level playing field is utter bollocks, villa cant get a coffee partner, we cant get a airline partner, we cant get a japanese noodle partner...thats before you even look at the value of those deals, lerner should have shouted from the rooftops about it rather than insisting on his radio silence and throwing his toys out of the pram

Edited by villa4europe

3 hours ago, villa4europe said:

villa cant get a coffee partner, we cant get a airline partner,

Ahem.... 

https://www.avfc.co.uk/News/2013/09/05/villa-announce-partnership-with-turkish-airlines-for-2013-14

Aston Villa is delighted to confirm that Turkish Airlines have become our Official Airlines Partner for the 2013-14 season.

A leading global player in commercial aviation and now the fourth largest carrier of passengers throughout Europe, Turkish Airlines was named Europe's Best Airline for a third consecutive year at the 2013 World Airline Awards.

Operating direct flights between Birmingham and Istanbul with onward connections to more than 200 destinations worldwide - flying to more countries than any other airline in the world - Turkish Airlines' expansion in the Midlands in recent years means that 10 flights depart from Birmingham International Airport on a weekly basis, underlining the company's commitment to the region.

It boasts one of the largest and youngest fleets in the world, with recent commercial partnerships with other leading clubs in Europe encouraging Turkish Airlines to seek this opportunity to connect with Villa fans and with the Midlands heartland.

Aston Villa Chief Executive Paul Faulkner said: "We are delighted to have secured this deal with Turkish Airlines, especially given their strong and still growing presence in the region as well as their global reach and reputation.

"The partnership also underlines the appeal of Aston Villa, with our vibrant, aspirational characteristics offering a perfect synergy. Our fans will benefit, too, as Turkish Airlines cement their position in the Midlands still further, and we look forward to working together with them and our growing number of Official Partners."

• Like 1

Â