The Game's Gone

NurembergVillan

15 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Todd Boehly wants to introduce an All Star game

no doubt played in qatar or dubai and sold to the highest bidder...i can see the PL liking it, throw in some fan votes and some sort of way of monetising that vote (im sure EA will offer FIFA as a vehicle for it)

at a time when the NFL pro bowl is dying on its ass because its so uncompetitive, the week leading up to the game where you see the players interacting with each other and with fans and playing competitions with each other and generally having fun showing their human side is better than the game itself

10 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

To prevent stockpiling 

Chelsea, man City etc buying 5 players every summer that they have no intention of playing but will loan out for 3 or 4 years before selling them at a profit whilst at the same time preventing mid table clubs playing them and getting better or rivals from buying them and using them

That is the negative angle of the loan market, Chelsea shouldn't be able to have 30 players out on loan, they shouldnt be able to do what they've just done with Lukaku or did for years with drinkwater, Barkley, bakayoko etc etc that's where the system is broken

Would you be happy with a system where each team is limited to loaning 5 players max? 

3 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

Would you be happy with a system where each team is limited to loaning 5 players max? 

maybe

the answer for me is a squad wage cap and players out on loan still eating in to the cap so that chelsea et al cant afford to have these guys on their books and also pay the first 11 £200k a week

im not 100% sure what it has to look like but there has to be a way so that the likes of grealish and phillips arent ditching being captains and stars at mid table clubs to be subs at a top 4 club

the epitome of it for me was scott sinclair to man city, he was a good player at mid table swansea, city bought him paid him £60k a week, started him about 5 times gave him 11 games in total and then didnt register him for their 25 man squad the next season meaning he went out on loan, there has to be something in place to stop that

baba rahman is in his 6th year out on loan from chelsea, that has to stop

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

He's classed as home grown for us, base the terminology on that 

So basically, as long as you've poached your youth player under the age of, say, 16 it's all good but if they're over 16 you can't loan them.  Interesting :D 

6 minutes ago, bobzy said:

So basically, as long as you've poached your youth player under the age of, say, 16 it's all good but if they're over 16 you can't loan them.  Interesting :D 

that's how the PL currently works, 3 years under the age of 23 isn't it? and then they are officially home grown

i'll throw out another example, izzy brown started a game for the baggies, was set to have a breakthrough season and play for them...signed for chelsea, spent 6 years out loan to 7 clubs and is now 25 years old without a club, it shouldnt be allowed, that is broken

i'll use another example, man city currently have 9 south american and 2 serbian teenagers out on loan, how many of them do you think are out on loan because they cant get work permits to play in england?

this summer they sold 12 players who had never kicked a ball for them for circa £60m, that included 2 players who they sold to another team in the city group, they're flipping teenagers for profit, buying players they have no intention of playing

this shouldnt be allowed to happen

I think the loan system has benefits like sending youngsters on loan to develop like Aziz but signing Drinkwater/Bednareks on loan arent what it was designed for

Loans should have an age cap except for emergency goalkeeper loans

33 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

that's how the PL currently works, 3 years under the age of 23 isn't it? and then they are officially home grown

i'll throw out another example, izzy brown started a game for the baggies, was set to have a breakthrough season and play for them...signed for chelsea, spent 6 years out loan to 7 clubs and is now 25 years old without a club, it shouldnt be allowed, that is broken

So, of our current squad, you don't think we should be able to...

Loan out Finn Azaz
Loan out Louie Barry
Loan out Caleb Chukwuemeka
Loan out Ben Chrisene
Loan out Tim Iroegbunam
Loan out Hayden Lindley
Loan out Wesley
Loan out Bertrand Traore
Loan out Kortney Hause
Loan out Keinan Davis

And we also shouldn't be allowed to bring in Bednarek or Augustinsson on loan?

1 minute ago, bobzy said:

So, of our current squad, you don't think we should be able to...

Loan out Finn Azaz
Loan out Louie Barry
Loan out Caleb Chukwuemeka
Loan out Ben Chrisene
Loan out Tim Iroegbunam
Loan out Hayden Lindley
Loan out Wesley
Loan out Bertrand Traore
Loan out Kortney Hause
Loan out Keinan Davis

And we also shouldn't be allowed to bring in Bednarek or Augustinsson on loan?

yep, no problem with that

hause, wesley, traore, davis as prime examples, we don't want them, we don't need them but we keep them anyway because we're either asking for too much money to sell them or we're paying them too much money for to want to leave, we dont want them because they're either not good enough or the current manager doesn't fancy them, no matter how you look at it them still being on villa's books is down to bad management somewhere somehow by villa and the loan system is bailing us out, IMO it shouldn't even if it meant that we actually had to release them on a free paid for by villa

azaz and caleb chukuemeka you can make arguments for them never realistically playing for our first team so we shouldn't be allowed to buy them

as good as tim is baggies again should be protected from us taking him off them and then not playing him even if realistically we would probably still buy him but he'd be in our squad this season

chrisene under my proposal would be 1 more year in our academy and then eligible for loan

like i said i dont know what the answer is but the problem is buying players that you dont play and then using the loan system to get them out of your bloated squad while you just carry on buying even more players

the loan system is creating and enabling a reduction in competition because it is weakening "lesser" teams

• Like 1

Classic American arrogance.

Hopes that we can ‘learn from the US’ to improve a sport that almost predates the entire modern country of the USA.

Hopefully whilst we’re learning from the US on how to have a successful sport, cos ya know, it’s only the most popular sport in the world already - perhaps Todd can learn some humility and self awareness along the way.

2 hours ago, Zatman said:

Todd Boehly wants to introduce an All Star game

I read this and at first thought - that might be interesting, but then gave it a little bit of thought and realised how much of a ridiculous idea it is. For starters football isn't run the same way as most US sports, how would the money made from an all-stars spectacle be shared? with all of the football pyramid or just among the teams who have supplied the players? And would this share be split out evenly among the teams, would Man City be happy that they would get as much for one of their players as Forest does?

The football league, and for all its problems, thankfully it is still competitive - the FA Cup as example, you could have bottom of the footballing pyramid playing the very top -  this to me is worth more than any 'all-star' game.

If an all-star game does go ahead and it doesn't quite do well, what next? The resurrection of the Super-Duper European super League based out in some energy rich country or whored out to whoever pays the most? it wouldn't be too hard to imagine a fixture in the future being played out in a billionaires back garden?

Todd Boehly, go do one.

17 minutes ago, bielesibub said:

I read this and at first thought - that might be interesting, but then gave it a little bit of thought and realised how much of a ridiculous idea it is. For starters football isn't run the same way as most US sports, how would the money made from an all-stars spectacle be shared? with all of the football pyramid or just among the teams who have supplied the players? And would this share be split out evenly among the teams, would Man City be happy that they would get as much for one of their players as Forest does?

The football league, and for all its problems, thankfully it is still competitive - the FA Cup as example, you could have bottom of the footballing pyramid playing the very top -  this to me is worth more than any 'all-star' game.

If an all-star game does go ahead and it doesn't quite do well, what next? The resurrection of the Super-Duper European super League based out in some energy rich country or whored out to whoever pays the most? it wouldn't be too hard to imagine a fixture in the future being played out in a billionaires back garden?

Todd Boehly, go do one.

As a replacement for the Community Shield it could be an event but I doubt this was the idea

The other thing in US All Star games it seems that one player from each team is involved but each team usually has a superstar because of the draft system.

Koulibaly and Tim Ream at centre back vs a midfield of De Bruyne and Jonjo Shelvey doesn't really have a great ring to it

he wants it as north vs south, which would basically end up being liverpool + utd + man city vs arsenal + spurs + chelsea which might show his misunderstanding of english football, very few people who support arsenal and spurs would have an interest in seeing Jesus and Harry Kane upfront, instead because thats what english football fans are like there will be a large amount of noise as to why Son isnt playing and spurs fans turning off

the impending meltdown over the england team is exactly the same, i wont watch if maguire is selected ahead of mings, no interest in it and thats not something thats exclusive to villa, a lot of fans hate the team selection because thats just what we are

5 minutes ago, Zatman said:

As a replacement for the Community Shield it could be an event but I doubt this was the idea

The other thing in US All Star games it seems that one player from each team is involved but each team usually has a superstar because of the draft system.

Koulibaly and Tim Ream at centre back vs a midfield of De Bruyne and Jonjo Shelvey doesn't really have a great ring to it

Not sure if it's because they've grown up with the games or just not that way inclined but there's far less bias too, the cowboys have the biggest fanbase but it's not like they have the most players at the pro bowl, it's not childishly skewed in that way, maybe because of the draft, the college game and then fantasy their fans appreciate good players for other teams in a way that we don't 

The PL game 100% would be, it would be a pissing contest

I really hope this Chelsea ownership blows up in this Boehly’s face. Gutted if that means Potter has to fail as I really rate him, but I’d rather he was at a smaller club raising their profile while some of the “big 6” lose their self proclaimed title. 

3 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Can you imagine if blose (were in pl) and wolves and our players were forced to play with someone gary Gardner? Ergh what a **** stupid idea

no i can't imagine, because gardner would be nowhere near an all star team!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Â