VillaTalk Deadpool 2017

Jimzk5

Stan Lee's wife Joan, who did a bit of voice acting for Marvel projects over the years, died last night. 93, so a very good innings. The story goes that Stan was disillusioned with the comics industry and preparing to leave when she persuaded him to write one last sorry he'd be proud of, which turned out to be the Fantastic Four and obviously the whole Marvel world followed from there.

Given Stan himself is 94 I think, and the trend for the surviving partner of a long lasting couple to die soon after, I fear Stan might not last much longer. There have been lots of rumours of him struggling to make appearances recently, and they filmed a bunch of his cameos back to back last year fearing he couldn't keep doing them :(.

The story of their meeting and getting married is, appropriately enough, like something out of a comic.

• Like 3

Think I had him 3 years in a row in the deadpool contest and came to the conclusion he's immortal 

hope he's around for a few more years yet 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, theboyangel said:

George A Romero, the master of zombie films has died at 77.

What a visionary film maker

:(

He certainly was.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, maqroll said:

Martin Landau dead too. Probably should've starred in a Romero film.

Damn, used to love Mission Impossible (and to a lesser extent Space 1999).

• Like 1

5 hours ago, maqroll said:

Martin Landau dead too. Probably should've starred in a Romero film.

No idea whether it's correct, but just read on IMDb (and now a few other places) that a teenage Romero was a pageboy on "North by Northwest".

While initially he was a visionary and laid the foundations for an entire genre which I massively appreciate and respect, I've always felt Romero wasn't actually that good. The original Nght and Dawn were stone cold classics of their time but everything else was, dare I say it, a bit crap. 

But you can't deny that he started it all with 2 of the most iconic genre films ever. No one can take that away from him and he should rightly be remembered for it. Rip.

• Like 1

George A. Romero probably dead

George A Romero probably dead

George A Romero probably dead

Horror Director George A Romero may well be dead, but so far nobody has dared get close enough to make sure.

Romero, who created the zombie genre of films and inspired generations of writers, directors and game creators to follow in his shambling, bloodied footsteps, is understood to have stopped breathing last night but that means nothing. Nothing, you fools.

Fans and followers have been very carefully showing their respects from a safe distance; you know, just in case.

His influence over contemporary pop-culture was immense: from World War Z to The Walking Dead to the White Walkers of Game of Thrones, it is unlikely that any of these things would have happened if he hadn’t filmed a low-budget shocker in 1968 – a shocker that was far deeper than it appeared upon first sight.

That film, Night of the Living Dead, has been described as the only film ‘to truly capture what Pittsburgh is all about’.

Using horror as social commentary, he went on to cover consumerism, militarism and economics followed – inspiring in his wake creatives such as Peter Jackson, Guillermo del Toro and Stephen King.

He also inspired Eli Roth, but you can’t have everything.

Romero had a fierce satirical mind which highlighted the absurdities of modern life through the medium of taking ideas to their logical extreme and ridiculing them, but we here at NewsThump wouldn’t know anything about that.

Rest in Peace, George. Please.

• Like 2

Â