Glenn Whelan

Jareth

46 minutes ago, villan_007 said:

But what you think and the facts of the players are two different things. Whelan is a seasoned premier league player. Highly recommended by fans and players a like.

Milligan is currently playing in Dubai and has never played in any league at a decent level. If he was good enough, and somebody really wanted him, the visa would get sorted.

I genuinely have no idea how you see otherwise. But hey that's football.

'Facts' are usually just a common interpretation. Most things are open to debate or further analysis.

There are plenty of players who have spent most of their careers in the Premier League who were nothing special and vice versa. 

The lastest article states he's "been effectively locked out of English football".

Mark Milligan has been effectively locked out of English football, after the latest FIFA rankings failed to deliver a rise in Australia's pecking order high enough meet FA regulations.

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/article/2017/07/06/bitter-blow-milligan-dream-playing-england-dashed

Edited by Michael118

1 hour ago, Michael118 said:

'Facts' are usually just a common interpretation. Most things are open to debate or further analysis.

There are plenty of players who have spent most of their careers in the Premier League who were nothing special and vice versa. 

The lastest article states he's "been effectively locked out of English football".

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/article/2017/07/06/bitter-blow-milligan-dream-playing-england-dashed

Not that we were ever interested in him anyway.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Jareth said:

We went for a Barca youth player recently, turned out well. 

We also went for an experienced pro, player of the season at his previous club - turned out even better.

18 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

Not that we were ever interested in him anyway.

Birmingham City, Burton Albion, Bolton were interested in signing him. On the other hand we are linked with and end up signing players like Whelan and Elmohamady. Players with no upside who were average at best at their peak. Another example of us going after the wrong players when there is much better around.

Edited by Michael118

4 minutes ago, Michael118 said:

Birmingham City, Burton Albion, Bolton were interested in signing him. On the other hand we are linked with and end up signing players like Whelan and Elmohamady. Players with no upside who were average at best at their peak. Another example of us going after the wrong players when there is much better around.

The might of Birmingham, Burton and Bolton were interested in a soon-to-be-32 year old who is retiring in UAE?

Yeah.... no thanks.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, bobzy said:

The might of Birmingham, Burton and Bolton were interested in a soon-to-be-32 year old who is retiring in UAE?

Yeah.... no thanks.

Or a player who has held together and captained the Socceroos who was wanted by Arsenal, Manchester City and others during his career. A player who is arguably in the best form he has ever been in, who has wanted to prove himself in England for a long time and wants to retain his spot in the Socceroos team for next year's World Cup. 

Edited by Michael118

10 hours ago, TRO said:

Bruce is not the only one who likes this kind of player.......all the top managers have one.....and furthermore they have always been popular in the past,with the villa park crowd.

I never said Bruce was the only one to like this type of player.I agree with you he will be popular with fans .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Michael118 said:

I'm not interested in who they are interested in frankly. 

I think it's reasonable to conclude the players we've signed are considerably better than this chap whatever their various shortcomings.

You might think there are better options around than what we are signing but that is just your opinion.

14 hours ago, VillanousOne said:

We need players who can break up play and move the ball forward quicker, if Whelan does that then all good. We are literally currently the most predictable team to watch, Walsall marked us out of the game because every pass we made was utterly telegraphed it was so slow and ponderous.

Couldnt agree more. Time and again the other night, the players for some reason were all wanting 5 touches where 1 would do and all it took was for Walsall to get back into a reasonable shape and we the attack was over. Hopefully, like someone said, it was a pre-season rustiness, or perhaps the players were trying to show the manager something but whatever it was it was hellishly frustrating

Are we really comparing Glenn Whelan to a guy playing in Dubai who might have been on Arsenal's radar at one time!?

Whelan is a good, albeit uninspiring signing. He'll help recycle the ball, keep possession and give more freedom to the creative players. 

If you're not sure about the guy, just have a look at the Stoke's fans reactions to losing him

13 minutes ago, Gillz said:

Whelan is a good, albeit uninspiring signing. He'll help recycle the ball, keep possession and give more freedom to the creative players.

I guess this is right to the point of the debate whether Whelan will do exactly that or the possession stats will improve but ultimately Villa will still struggle to score the required quota of goals to be in the top 2?

As long as Bruce is manager I think it will be the latter but would love to be proven wrong.

Edited by striker

Whelan and Elmo have a lot of experience at both this level and at Premier League level, for what we want to achieve they really ought to be good signings for us. We need experienced and solid pros in the squad, hard to have issues with these signings IMO, especially given that the are at around £1.5m a pop. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, striker said:

I guess this is right to the point of the debate whether Whelan will do exactly that or the possession stats will improve but ultimately Villa will still struggle to score the required quota of goals to be in the top 2?

As long as Bruce is manager I think it will be the latter but would love to be proven wrong.

It is a hard question...and our results last season and form pre season certainly point towards a lack of goals.

However, Sir Alex Ferguson once said "Attack wins you games, defence wins you titles." Not sure if this holds true, but if anyone is worth listening too its probably Fergie

16 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I thought Hourane and Lansbury were supposed to be two the of the most creative midfielders in the league.  

So I hear. I'd like to see it someday too.

Â