John Terry

Farlz

35 minutes ago, AntrimBlack said:

John Terry. Great lad. Always liked him.

I've never liked him as a person, but as a player I respect him. I think it's perfectly acceptable to feel ambivalent about a person, it's a normal human emotion. People aren't either Saints or Sinners... life isn't so binary. People make bad decisions for what they believe to be good reasons, and we all make mistakes. I don't want to get in a philosophical debate about it, but we're paying him to play football which he happens to be quite good at. As a person, I don't have a high opinion of him, but who am I to judge? 

Edited by alreadyexists
  • Like 2

32 minutes ago, blandy said:

If you have 12 on the pitch you get told off by the ref for cheating, and have to go to bed with no tea. - FA law 12.5 sub para 3.

:lol:

That really made me laugh. Then I started imagining 12 blokes all waiting in the tunnel but trying to get to the front, all adjusting their armbands. At kick off, all of them trying to shake the refs hand and call the toss.

Edited by Paddywhack
  • Like 1

I think this could be a really good signing. 

I understand the reservations people have. But as much as I hate Terry as a person, as a player he has been excellent pretty much for his whole career. 

Plus he's never struck me as lacking motivation or ever giving less than his best. 

If he can still perform, which I believe he can, then he could be a great signing over this coming season. 

• Like 4

I think this is a top signing for us.

Whilst this brings back bad memories about the Aston Villa Care Home for players past their prime we seemed intent on running in the last few years, in my eyes Terry is at a whole different level. As a footballer he's won it all, captained his team and country, and is generally regarded as one of the best CBs of his generation - very different to signing the likes of Grant Holt and Lescott. 

His footballing mentality and footballing ability, even if past his prime, is far above the championship - so i see this signing as a real coup.

I can understand people's reservations about his character, and i agree - i think he's not a particularly nice guy.....but i really don't care, i just want us to win promotion, and with Terry we have a better chance of that than we do without him. 

• Like 2

For me it all come down to the length of the contract. 

12 month deal and it's worth the gamble even though I'm not confident it will have a major effect on us. 

Anything longer and I think it's a huge gamble. It means failure to win promotion leaves us in even worse shape when it comes to FFP. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, mattjpa said:

If you don't have it in the first place you cant lose it, which is why they are both still going well into their 30's...

Aye.  On that basis, they should be able to keep on going into their mid 40s then.  No big deal. 

Or-as we have seen very recently and should know by now- players who never relied on pace (such as Joe Cole) still get to a point where their legs go. It's an inevitable part of the game. If you're a touch player, you might never lose that. But the stamina required for actual match fitness and sharpness will recede. You can only go to the well so many times. 

From a different era: Dion Dublin and Steve Staunton were never sprint champions. But by their mid 30's they were so slow and immobile they were stuck in reverse. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, AshVilla said:

Can't get the feeling he's going to be another lescott out of my head

Convince me otherwise

John Terry is sensible and has a lock screen on his smart phone so it can't tweet car pictures without him knowing. 

• Like 4

How can anyone even have a doubt that signing this man on a free transfer can be anything but a positive. :blink:

The below list and fact that he's considering our club in the state it's in rather than one final payday is evidence enough.

villatalk.png

Edited by carewjust4u
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, carewjust4u said:

How can anyone even have a doubt that signing this man on a free transfer can be anything but a positive. :blink:

The below list and fact that he's considering our club in the state it's in rather than one final payday is evidence enough.

villatalk.png

Only Player of the Month once?  Terry out!

Â