John Terry

Farlz

26 minutes ago, avfc1982 said:

He was cleared in court of the racism allegation and as for being a cheat, isn't every player a cheat of some kind?

They couldn't prove intent. He used racist language, that's why the f.a found him guilty and were going to take the England captaincy off him. 

• Like 1

On 21/06/2017 at 21:14, Kuwabatake Sanjuro said:

He can't run.

Does not matter.  The less you run as a CD the better you are at reading the game in my opinion.  

Imagine if we had a player to fill this position in the squad who couldn't even do any worthwhile training at Bodymoor heath,  don't play him or play him? 

Bread and butter stuff in the Championship as well.

So looks like this could really happen. Hats off to Xia and Bruce for the making this happen. Arguably one of the greatest defenders of a generation. If he is anything near the player he is capable of being we won't be conceding many goals next season.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

How many times to did we collapse last season and concede a goal late on. So many points lost his way. Hopefully a player like Terry will give the team some balls to see out games! 

And for a central defender he certainly chips in with his fair share of goals from corners.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

Does not matter.  The less you run as a CD the better you are at reading the game in my opinion.  

Imagine if we had a player to fill this position in the squad who couldn't even do any worthwhile training at Bodymoor heath,  don't play him or play him? 

Bread and butter stuff in the Championship as well.

It will matter when Bruce is gone and the next manager will want us to play higher up the pitch.

1 hour ago, Eastie said:

And for a central defender he certainly chips in with his fair share of goals from corners.

That could be more important than anything. For years now our central defenders have been totally absent from scoring goals. They should each get at least 4 or 5 a season from corners. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, sidcow said:

That could be more important than anything. For years now our central defenders have been totally absent from scoring goals. They should each get at least 4 or 5 a season from corners. 

Our CB got 4 goals last season in total, Chester 3 of them. Really struggle to remember the last centre back that was actually a threat in other box.

Terry has scored at least 1 every season after his first season, though he did only score 1 in each of the last two seasons.

2 hours ago, DCJonah said:

They couldn't prove intent. He used racist language, that's why the f.a found him guilty and were going to take the England captaincy off him. 

That's not strictly speaking true. What couldn't be proved is whether JT was responding to an accusation from Ferdinand that he'd used a racist slur, or whether he'd made the statement without the accusation. JT had always maintained he was using the same words Ferdinand had accused him of using just prior, but as a question; as in "you really think I'd call you a ...?" 

The Judge also cited the FA report in his judgement (which was used as evidence by the prosecution), and said that the context of JT's interview was that he was responding to Ferdinand's accusation. I believe the FA found him guilty of using racially abusive language towards Ferdinand. That's never been in doubt - he's always maintained he used that language towards Ferdinand. What is important though, and the reason why he wasn't found guilty in court, is that it wasn't clear whether or not he was responding to an accusation made by Ferdinand that he'd called him that.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, cyrusr said:

Our CB got 4 goals last season in total, Chester 3 of them. Really struggle to remember the last centre back that was actually a threat in other box.

Clark, Collins, Dunne all caused problems in opposition box. before that Laursen obviously was brilliant

• Like 2

As I said at start of thread its all about wages and how many games we will get out of him. I cant see him be able to play 3 games in a week which you can get at this level. I also dont believe it was a position we needed to strengthen more than others

If we are paying him 60k or up and get 25 games out of him then I think its a poor signing even if we do go up

13 minutes ago, Zatman said:

As I said at start of thread its all about wages and how many games we will get out of him. I cant see him be able to play 3 games in a week which you can get at this level. I also dont believe it was a position we needed to strengthen more than others

If we are paying him 60k or up and get 25 games out of him then I think its a poor signing even if we do go up

Your final comment makes no sense. If he plays 25 games and is the John Terry everyone knows, he will win us a good amount of points and would be worth every penny if we get promoted. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Godders said:

That's not strictly speaking true. What couldn't be proved is whether JT was responding to an accusation from Ferdinand that he'd used a racist slur, or whether he'd made the statement without the accusation. JT had always maintained he was using the same words Ferdinand had accused him of using just prior, but as a question; as in "you really think I'd call you a ...?" 

The Judge also cited the FA report in his judgement (which was used as evidence by the prosecution), and said that the context of JT's interview was that he was responding to Ferdinand's accusation. I believe the FA found him guilty of using racially abusive language towards Ferdinand. That's never been in doubt - he's always maintained he used that language towards Ferdinand. What is important though, and the reason why he wasn't found guilty in court, is that it wasn't clear whether or not he was responding to an accusation made by Ferdinand that he'd called him that.

Isn't that intent though? As you say there's no dispute he used racist language, it's the intention of how it was used that couldn't be proved in court. Was it a question or was he racially abusing someone. 

At the end of the day it's still the England captain having to resign before they stripped him of his captaincy because he used racist language on a football pitch. Not your everyday occurence. 

Edited by DCJonah

1 minute ago, DCJonah said:

Given he is 37 soon and managed 494 minutes of football for the whole of 16/17. How many games are people expecting him to be able to play in. 

At least 25 .

He didn't play much at Chelsea as they had top current internationals in the team and were flying not because he was unfit - he's had plenty of offers this summer and I for one am delighted he's chosen us.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Kuwabatake Sanjuro said:

It will matter when Bruce is gone and the next manager will want us to play higher up the pitch.

personally, I don't think its a case of wanting us to play higher up the pitch.....but more about being able to play higher up the pitch.....( without conceding easily)

I suspect with a player like John Terry all things being equal, we may now be able to play higher up the pitch because we can come out as a tight unit.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Eastie said:

At least 25 .

He didn't play much at Chelsea as they had top current internationals in the team and were flying not because he was unfit - he's had plenty of offers this summer and I for one am delighted he's chosen us.

True. But at 36 not playing games is hardly the best way to stay match fit.

25 would only be just over half. I'd feel a bit let down by that. That is a lot of money and bonuses for a player who may only impact 50% of our games. 

Edited by DCJonah

5 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Given he is 37 soon and managed 494 minutes of football for the whole of 16/17. How many games are people expecting him to be able to play in. 

Its a valid point......

but how many games has DeLaet- Gabby- Jack - Jed- Bjarnason-Green-Hogan,Kodjia etc,etc,etc.

Its a squad....players get injured, suspended,lose form.

How many games was we expecting from Paul McGrath?

Â