John Terry

Farlz

I still don't get why he would come here and turn down presumably bigger and better deals from elsewhere, but kudos to him for that.

I'm not massively excited about him as a player now, 36 year old defenders aren't my thing. But if it influences other players to come it will be a good thing.

"If Villa is good enough for John Terry, they are good enough for me". 

5 hours ago, alreadyexists said:

I've never liked him as a person, but as a player I respect him. I think it's perfectly acceptable to feel ambivalent about a person, it's a normal human emotion. People aren't either Saints or Sinners... life isn't so binary. People make bad decisions for what they believe to be good reasons, and we all make mistakes. I don't want to get in a philosophical debate about it, but we're paying him to play football which he happens to be quite good at. As a person, I don't have a high opinion of him, but who am I to judge? 

I know a man that might.:)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, carewjust4u said:

How can anyone even have a doubt that signing this man on a free transfer can be anything but a positive. :blink:

The below list and fact that he's considering our club in the state it's in rather than one final payday is evidence enough.

villatalk.png

But what does that mean now? Signing maldini wouldn't be great just because of all he achieved in the past. 

If he's not fit enough to play or not fit enough to play at the required standard, then what he did previously means absolutely nothing. We won't all be celebrating Chelsea's trophies if he's in the stands on 100k a week or playing and not able to handle it. 

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

But what does that mean now? Signing maldini wouldn't be great just because of all he achieved in the past. 

If he's not fit enough to play or not fit enough to play at the required standard, then what he did previously means absolutely nothing. We won't all be celebrating Chelsea's trophies if he's in the stands on 100k a week or playing and not able to handle it. 

so lets wait and see what effect he has.

• Like 2

I think sometimes you can separate the man from his actions...but there are limits. And Terry crosses my own personal moral line. He was one of the big reasons I lost interest in England while he was playing. I find the man repugnant, and will seriously struggle to support any side with him in. I can't quite believe there has been so much acceptance of him. That fans who chanted 'let him die' at him not so long ago are now excited at the prospect of him becoming their captain.

Just now, Super-Villan said:

I can't quite believe there has been so much acceptance of him. That fans who chanted 'let him die' at him not so long ago are now excited at the prospect of him becoming their captain.

Beggars can't be choosers. 

18 minutes ago, limpid said:

I'd have supported Shearer if he'd played for us and I hated him for footballing reasons. I don't care about players' personal lives unless it affects them on the pitch. Just like I don't care about my co-workers personal lives.

Not Savage though. That would have been too much.

Totally agree... we've all got our limits.

• Like 1

I dont get it. We are about to sign a player who is so much far better than anyone we have in our squad right now. Moral issues or not I really don't care. We let alcoholics become God for us before. I love this signing.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, TRO said:

so lets wait and see what effect he has.

If we waited to see on everything this forum would be dead. 

And yes we can wait and see but it was in response to someone who couldn't understand why anyone would have doubts. 

1 minute ago, NoelVilla said:

I dont get it. We are about to sign a player who is so much far better than anyone we have in our squad right now. Moral issues or not I really don't care. We let alcoholics become God for us before. I love this signing.

Is he though? We don't know that he's currently better than Chester or Baker. He barely played last season. 

There's a good chance he will be but it's not a guarantee. 

27 minutes ago, Super-Villan said:

I think sometimes you can separate the man from his actions...but there are limits. And Terry crosses my own personal moral line. He was one of the big reasons I lost interest in England while he was playing. I find the man repugnant, and will seriously struggle to support any side with him in. I can't quite believe there has been so much acceptance of him. That fans who chanted 'let him die' at him not so long ago are now excited at the prospect of him becoming their captain.

Are you suggesting fans are fickle ?

Personally id prefur someone like Terry who gives 100% on the pitch despite his off the field antics, rather than say Charles N'zogbia who did feck all but leach from our club.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DCJonah said:

Is he though? We don't know that he's currently better than Chester or Baker. He barely played last season. 

It's the Championship. Im confident with my analysis. 

It's normal to have doubts, all signings are a slightly unknown quantity. I think to doubt his footballing ability based on personal transgressions would be unfair though.

I'm not religious, (quite the opposite!) but there is some value in 'let he without sin...' and all that.

I would and have employed a person based on their CV and interview, and I couldn't care less if they were a serial adulterer (for example)... it's just not relevant to the decision to hire someone or not.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, NoelVilla said:

It's the Championship. Im confident with my analysis. 

There's a good chance you're right but like I said it's not a guarantee. Doesn't matter how good you were and what level you drop to, there will always come a point where age beats you. 

1 hour ago, DCJonah said:

There's a good chance you're right but like I said it's not a guarantee. Doesn't matter how good you were and what level you drop to, there will always come a point where age beats you. 

You are definitely right with that post. I just don't think it applies to John Terry. No way he dropped so much in quality that Chester and Baker are better than him in my opinion.

4 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

This is my slight concern with his arrival. Our defence was one of the few plus points last season. On average, we conceded ten goals fewer than each of the four playoff teams. We dont want to rock the defensive boat at all.

Offensively though of course we were woeful, and where the focus should be. Scored near enough the same as the three relegated teams and Blues as i recall.

• Like 1

Â