John Terry

Farlz

21 hours ago, Hoof hearted said:

Sure he's not asking Wayne Bridge to smell his fingers?..

Damned it... to slow... :)

BBC website media gossip 'trigger' page suggesting that JT has been offered the chance to succeed Mr Bruce as manager if he signs for us. Wow...

I assume he has some badges and certificates then? What do the Brouters think of this?

Edited by Raver50032

10 minutes ago, Raver50032 said:

Damned it... to slow... :)

BBC website media gossip 'trigger' page suggesting that JT has been offered the chance to succeed Mr Bruce as manager if he signs for us. Wow...

I assume he has some badges and certificates then? What do the Brouters think of this?

If true then it's poor ownership for me - you don't make that sort of decision to try and entice a player to a club - xia was the one who allegedly wanted RDM due to his high profile and being well known in China for his Chelsea exploits and I hope we are not getting Terry for similar reason .

im all for the signing of Terry but not if there is some offer to succeed Bruce eventually - he needs to learn the management game and would be better doing so when the time comes elsewhere.

who knows how his time here will turn out - there cannot be any guarantees like that to entice him here - I want john terry here because he sees it as a challenge to help villa to promotion and a good way to end his career . 

Not because it's an easy step into management.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Eastie said:

If true then it's poor ownership for me - you don't make that sort of decision to try and entice a player to a club - xia was the one who allegedly wanted RDM due to his high profile and being well known in China for his Chelsea exploits and I hope we are not getting Terry for similar reason .

im all for the signing of Terry but not if there is some offer to succeed Bruce eventually - he needs to learn the management game and would be better doing so when the time comes elsewhere.

who knows how his time here will turn out - there cannot be any guarantees like that to entice him here - I want john terry here because he sees it as a challenge to help villa to promotion and a good way to end his career . 

Not because it's an easy step into management.

Tongue in cheek supposition from me here, but imagine him as our manager in the Premier League. We'd start on -6 points each season for his Chelsea principles... :o

Now If I was Dr Tone, I wouldn't mind offering JT this as a sweetener. However, I'd be stipulating that he won't be taking over within the next 3 or so years if Bruce goes within that time- he's basically on an apprenticeship that must be finished.

Point is, we don't know the specifics of the clause, or even if it exists, so I would urge caution before jumping to the conclusion that we're hiring Bruce's immediate successor in JT. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Papers all saying terry may be given opportunity to succeed Bruce. Not sure I am happy with that be quiet inexperienced...

I think he could be tempted by the possibility of continuing to work on his coaching badges with us and with the prospect of a coaching role later but as far as taking over from SB is concerned I doubt there has been any guarantee. I think it more likely that the idea has been planted that he might have a chance when SB does vacate the hot seat which might be in say 10 years time after we have won another Champions League title of three. ;)

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, John said:

I think he could be tempted by the possibility of continuing to work on his coaching badges with us and with the prospect of a coaching role later but as far as taking over from SB is concerned I doubt there has been any guarantee. I think it more likely that the idea has been planted that he might have a chance when SB does vacate the hot seat which might be in say 10 years time after we have won another Champions League title of three. ;)

I think you are correct, John.

And it would be quite a sweetener for an ambitious guy like Terry.

4 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Papers all saying terry may be given opportunity to succeed Bruce. Not sure I am happy with that be quiet inexperienced...

I think this could be later down the line (after a couple of years coaching). It has happened before at other clubs, Mark Hughes (Blackburn Rovers) and Stuart Pearce (Man City) both finished their careers at this level and achieved promotion to the Premier League, a few years later they went on to manage the club. 

Edited by GENTLEMAN

I think he will be offered opportunities to develop his Coaching/Manager Career at Villa.  He is taking the badges so he is interested and Villa are not a bad place to develop as if all goes to plan he can find himself a manager at a premiership club.

Is it such a bad thing to have some sort of plan to succeed a manager?  The biggest failure at Man U was that twice now they have not developed a successor to the Manager when he retires (Thinking Busby and Fergie).  Look at Barca, they allowed Pep to develop and he then stepped up when Van Gal left.  He knew the club players that were coming through etc and the rest is history.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, NIVillan said:

I think he will be offered opportunities to develop his Coaching/Manager Career at Villa.  He is taking the badges so he is interested and Villa are not a bad place to develop as if all goes to plan he can find himself a manager at a premiership club.

Is it such a bad thing to have some sort of plan to succeed a manager?  The biggest failure at Man U was that twice now they have not developed a successor to the Manager when he retires (Thinking Busby and Fergie).  Look at Barca, they allowed Pep to develop and he then stepped up when Van Gal left.  He knew the club players that were coming through etc and the rest is history.

Terry hasn't even kicked a ball yet for villa so any talk of him as next manager is farcical - let's see what happens during his time here first .

I hope the club have struck a deal something like this (what I would do - a take it or leave it deal)

Basic 10kpw

appearance + 10k

clean sheet + 10k

win +10k

goal +10k

10+ games +10kpw

20+ games +10kpw

30+ games + 10kpw

Promotion via playoffs 1mill

2nd 2mill

1st 3mill

if it all goes well he'll be on 50-80kpw

promotion could be percieved as a transfer fee. 1-3mill signing gets you promoted = bargain = everybody happy

Regarding Terry as "plan B" if/when Bruce fails. The real question is, who would you prefer in charge "untill a new manager is appointed" Calderwood or Terry?

The "Bruce Out" brigade must be a little bit happier if these rumours are true. However, it doesn't necessarily mean that we will be any better off. The one thing Terry might bring to the club is a bit of on-field nastiness. For too long we have been a soft touch on the pitch and that might just change, which would be welcomed by me.

I just hope the deal isn't stupid for the club. I would hate to think that, if Terry plays 10 games and we get promoted he gets £5m for his year with us. I know that people would argue it would have been worth it but it doesn't mean that we got promoted because of him, especially if he played such a small amount of games.

2 minutes ago, hippo said:

Because I think he's past it

Because I think he is a terrible character

and I think he may prove disruptive.

I could maybe understand the first two reasons but not the 3rd, JT may be many things but nothing I've ever heard or read could make him out in any way to being disruptive. 

1 minute ago, Villan_of_oz said:

I could maybe understand the first two reasons but not the 3rd, JT may be many things but nothing I've ever heard or read could make him out in any way to being disruptive. 

Yeah I suppose I am thinking more of the aspiring manager stuff. But yes fair point ......Just 1 & 2 then !

Â