John Terry

Farlz

3 minutes ago, hippo said:

Yeah I suppose I am thinking more of the aspiring manager stuff. But yes fair point ......Just 1 & 2 then !

I don't know a lot about contract dealings and clauses etc but in my lamen way I would have in his contract. 

1 year deal with club to trigger 1 year extension if desired

I we got promoted he would be a handy squad player who probably wouldn't play much but would be like a leader for the new boys in the Premier League.

Club to facilitate coaching badges etc and plenty of bonuses to keep him happy if we do well. 

There is a few things that I think I might not like about John Terry but as man myself that has made a mistake or two in my life I don't think its my right to condemn the man for life. 

1 hour ago, villarocker said:

The "Bruce Out" brigade must be a little bit happier if these rumours are true. However, it doesn't necessarily mean that we will be any better off. The one thing Terry might bring to the club is a bit of on-field nastiness. For too long we have been a soft touch on the pitch and that might just change, which would be welcomed by me.

I just hope the deal isn't stupid for the club. I would hate to think that, if Terry plays 10 games and we get promoted he gets £5m for his year with us. I know that people would argue it would have been worth it but it doesn't mean that we got promoted because of him, especially if he played such a small amount of games.

if he does it right and earns it then i have no issue with it, did say at the time of appointing bruce i was fine with him getting us out of the championship but my problem with him would be the state of us if we got promoted, i dont trust him to be anything other than a dour happy to be here manager in the prem, my opinion of that has changed and not for the better...

i personally think we need off the field nastiness internally and im hoping thats what he brings, first player to put an arm around is grealish, give him an any given sundayesque speech about being a winner, if that doesnt work then put a round of **** in to him, same goes for a few of them

i wont believe any of the figures that will be banded about, we wont be putting him on £100k or anything daft, hopefully he sees it as a step in to coaching

52 minutes ago, hippo said:

Because I think he's past it

Because I think he is a terrible character

and I think he may prove disruptive.

I get point 1, point 2 is debatable for me on the pitch. off the pitch might be a complete a whole but so are many footballers these days. 

2 hours ago, GENTLEMAN said:

I think this could be later down the line (after a couple of years coaching). It has happened before at other clubs, Mark Hughes (Blackburn Rovers) and Stuart Pearce (Man City) both finished their careers at this level and achieved promotion to the Premier League, a few years later they went on to manage the club. 

Do you remember what a great player and leader Stuart Pearce was on the pitch? He's a terrible manager though, there is no correlation between the two roles. 

• Like 2

I don't particularly like John Terry as a person or a footballer. Nevertheless, he was/is a great footballer. He's won everything and also been captain of the national team. I honestly struggle to see why he'd be signing for us at this point in his career. I highly doubt we represent the best possible last pay check as well. He'd have no problems earning top dollar elsewhere, in the States or China, with very minimal effort.

Let's face it, the championship is a horrible league, and add to that the shitload of games to play, so I don't really see him coming here for any 'enjoyment factor' either. Thus the only logical conclusion I'm able to come to, would be that he actually still wants to compete for real. Perhaps the lure of promotion, and added 'silverware' is a thing.

However, there's really no way of knowing with much certainty how he's gonna apply himself, should he sign. His overall fitness and recent injury record, are probably my biggest concerns. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, jon_c said:

Do you remember what a great player and leader Stuart Pearce was on the pitch? He's a terrible manager though, there is no correlation between the two roles. 

Same could be said for bobby Moore and for many other great leaders on the pitch who went into management - there are no certainties however good a player may have been .

50 minutes ago, vreitti said:

Thus the only logical conclusion I'm able to come to, would be that he actually still wants to compete for real. Perhaps the lure of promotion, and added 'silverware' is a thing. 

The reason he's expected to drop to the Championship is because apparently he doesn't want to play against Chelsea, so he's not going to sign for a PL team, and he apparently doesn't want to move abroad. Assuming that to be true, the Championship is the top league he's going play in now. 

He's had two offers that fit his criteria - us and Birmingham. He's going to sign whichever contract suits him best, which at the moment is us if you believe the press and bookies. 

Thats why he's dropping down, not necessarily because he still wants to compete for real, which he would probably achieve, with far more money playing in MLS or China. 

17 minutes ago, Godders said:

The reason he's expected to drop to the Championship is because apparently he doesn't want to play against Chelsea, so he's not going to sign for a PL team, and he apparently doesn't want to move abroad. Assuming that to be true, the Championship is the top league he's going play in now. 

He's had two offers that fit his criteria - us and Birmingham. He's going to sign whichever contract suits him best, which at the moment is us if you believe the press and bookies. 

Thats why he's dropping down, not necessarily because he still wants to compete for real, which he would probably achieve, with far more money playing in MLS or China. 

Don't necessarily agree with that - he probably sees villa a big club and promotion a challenge that maybe gives him a hunger - I don't think he's another journeyman coming here to see out his days and he will very much want promotion with villa with some passion .

he has that kind of hunger that many players his age don't have anymore.

the championship is more competitive than MLS or china .

Edited by Eastie

6 minutes ago, Eastie said:

Don't necessarily agree with that - he probably sees villa a big club and promotion a challenge that maybe gives him a hunger - I don't think he's another journeyman coming here to see out his days and he will very much want promotion with villa with some passion .

he has that kind of hunger that many players his age don't have anymore.

As we've seen reports around him wanting his coaches badges, and now around future management as well, I suspect that he's more mindful of that side of things now. I strongly suspect that if 'Arry told him he was retiring after the upcoming season, and the club board were guaranteeing offering him the managers spot when it happens, he'd be giving serious consideration to a SHA deal. 

10 minutes ago, Eastie said:

The championship is more competitive than MLS or china .

Vreitti suggested that he was coming here for silverware. If that was his motivation, I'm sure clubs like LA Galaxy or Guangzhou would have him on more money than we could offer. 

1 hour ago, jon_c said:

Sure. I am not saying John Terry will be a successful manager or should be given the job based on his reputation as a player - my point was this scenario has happened before - the player successfully helps the club achieve promotion, gains some coaching/managerial experience and a few years down the line returns as a manager.

16 minutes ago, Godders said:

As we've seen reports around him wanting his coaches badges, and now around future management as well, I suspect that he's more mindful of that side of things now. I strongly suspect that if 'Arry told him he was retiring after the upcoming season, and the club board were guaranteeing offering him the managers spot when it happens, he'd be giving serious consideration to a SHA deal. 

Vreitti suggested that he was coming here for silverware. If that was his motivation, I'm sure clubs like LA Galaxy or Guangzhou would have him on more money than we could offer. 

I don't think money is the motivation for him and he probably doesn't fancy the upheaval of moving abroad - villa hopefully tick his boxes as being a promotion challenge and also not too far away .

whether at villa or anywhere else he would still take his coaching badges as it's his ambition to go into management in the future - if he does well then at some stage he will probably end up back at the bridge.

Agree with all of that @Eastie. I was disputing the original claim he's dropping down to get promoted with us. He's not- he's dropping down because he doesn't want to move abroad and we're the ones who have so far seemingly offered the best contract. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Reivax_Villa said:

So if JT signs does he still stay in London and commutes?

Or.. 

No he will come in via his personal Drone.:)

• Like 1

If he(John Terry) can replicate any of his past leadership skills and perform to a reasonable level for a season, we are a very lucky club to be having him.

Its fair to say there is scepticism.....but to be equally fair, you could say that about every player we sign.

I trust the management of Aston Villa to do the right thing.

Ps Its interesting that many fans would like Eddie Howe as our manager and it has been reported Bournemouth want JT.;)

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

Just now, TRO said:

If he can replicate any of his past leadership skills and perform to a reasonable level for a season, we are a very lucky club to be having him.

Its fair to say there is scepticism.....but to be equally fair, you could say that about every player we sign.

I trust the management of Aston Villa to do the right thing.

Stop with the balanced and reasonable responses ;) 

bring back hyperbole! 

He'll either be the mutts nuts or the worst player ever! 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Am I the only one who thinks we're essentially paying whatever we've offered to pay to Terry almost exclusively in the hope that he can change the culture of the club?

Not to come in and be a major first team player, not to come in and be a leader on the pitch but to change the mindset of the club.

Maybe I'm completely wrong but I genuinely think this is the primary train of thought around signing him.

Whatever else you might think of him he's a winner, we have been losers for years now, if he can help bring about a change in club culture then frankly, whatever we pay him is insignificant.

Good point, and whilst it may be debatable.

Jedinak is not the best player, but has some sort of leadership quality, mentality and fight which seems to radiate throughout the whole team when he is on the pitch for example.

Having players like that in the core can only be a good thing.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Am I the only one who thinks we're essentially paying whatever we've offered to pay to Terry almost exclusively in the hope that he can change the culture of the club?

Not to come in and be a major first team player, not to come in and be a leader on the pitch but to change the mindset of the club.

Maybe I'm completely wrong but I genuinely think this is the primary train of thought around signing him.

Whatever else you might think of him he's a winner, we have been losers for years now, if he can help bring about a change in club culture then frankly, whatever we pay him is insignificant.

I think you make an interesting point......It would not surprise me if thats the case.

I think we already have one or two, but maybe the hierarchy feel another  big voice/Character close to them ,is required to turn it.

Maybe we have had too many of the wrong sort and that it needs more than one or two to turn it.

When the club had Shaun Teales and Paul McGraths, Gareth Southgates.....we never noticed the problem.....you could well be on to something.

I trust the management to get it right.

Â