John Terry

Farlz

21 minutes ago, villan_007 said:

Nar not buying that. Premier league clubs who want him could offer double what we have offered. Even Celtic are in for him and offering champs league.

He wants to work with bruce and help him complete the brief. Get us up this yr end of. He isn't here for a mid table championship experience. It's silly to think otherwise.

I think part of it will also be he probably knows he's not up to playing regular premier league football anymore. It would destroy his legacy a bit if he was getting embarrassed by top premier league attackers. 

I think it's probably a combination of the deal we've offered, the chance to finish on a high with getting a club like us promoted and that it's a level he feels he can succeed at when playing. 

• Like 4

Villa transfers says medical so medical it certainly is. I hope now that it is real all the naysayers can start to see just how huge this is. This sort of crossover of a player from current prem champions to championship midtablers is blumin rare. Got a good feeling about mr T, he's here for footballing reasons.

Edited by Jareth
  • Like 4

6 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Villa transfers says medical so medical it certainly is. I hope now that it is real all the naysayers can start to see just how huge this is. This sort of crossover of a player from current prem champions to championship midtablers is blumin rare. Got a good feeling about mr T, he's here for footballing reasons.

Hope you're right. But I think it will prove a lot money down the pan myself.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DCJonah said:

I think part of it will also be he probably knows he's not up to playing regular premier league football anymore. It would destroy his legacy a bit if he was getting embarrassed by top premier league attackers. 

I think it's probably a combination of the deal we've offered, the chance to finish on a high with getting a club like us promoted and that it's a level he feels he can succeed at when playing. 

Yep that's spot on for me

4 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

I am sure Elphick is a good character and a decent leader but you can’t compare him to arguably one of the best club captains of his generation with a collection of medals to match anyone’s.

John Terry will instantly command the respect of the other players. There is no question about that. As a leader on the pitch we probably couldn’t have signed anyone better. Ability wise I don’t see him being found wanting at this level.

For me he improves us defensively with his ability but more than that I think he can get another 10% out of those around him and that will be the difference between getting promoted and not.  

Its not often I disagree with you Mark. But the quality of the GK we sign and finding someone other than Kjodia to put the ball in the net are more pressing areas and will have a greater impact on promotion  or not than Terry Joining/not joining. 

11 minutes ago, Rodders said:

well if i he comes I fully expect him to pose for a photo holding our copy of the European Cup in full 1982 kit. 

After smashing the case with his trusty baseball bat while leading a whole bunch of Londoners on a tour that his father's put together to afford his next trip to Magaluf..

9 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

I'm not saying you're wrong, but that seems like a very expensive way to inspire motivation. 

It's not just motivation though.

Our problem is endemic, it's not limited to 90 minutes on a weekend, the core of the club has rotted - we all know this.

Multiple managers, multiple sets of playing and coaching staff and to a lesser extent even a change in ownership and general club staffing have done very little to stem the tide. 

Getting the mindset and culture right is immeasurable and invaluable, £2M is nothing compared to getting that right.

Think about it, how have the likes of Southampton, Stoke, Swansea, Bournemouth and Leicester been able to catapult themselves from being League 1 clubs to established PL teams? Did they buy the best players? No. 

They brought together a group of players under a unified culture with a shared vision, they got a group of players who bought into the club.

No-one buys into us because our culture has been non-existent since MoN left (has to be said).

Elphick was supposed to be the 'Terry' last season but he just wasn't a big enough name or personality (one would assume, using hindsight) to enforce the level of change required, we've had to crank that up a notch this year and is there a bigger name/leader out there that we could sign? I highly doubt it.

Also, if we do sign Terry and even he's unable to arrest our decline, where do we go from there? Scary thought.

• Like 4

Â