John Terry

Farlz

My first thought is that IF John Terry re signs for us this will indicate that Bruce is staying for now.

My second thought is that IF JT resigns that will make it easy to sack Bruce as and when the owners and CEO want to. Bruce doesn't coach, he's stopped putting his arm around players and supporting them (in favour of throwing them under buses), so Terry could take over Bruce's input at the drop of a hat.

JT would not be on my 'new managers' list, but as a temporary measure he could provide a real motivational uplift.

23 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

What I don't understand is that we were perfectly happy to play him just 4 months ago and we praised him as one of our best players but now, only 16 weeks later, he is past it and too old.

Same people said that when we originally signed him, then proceeded to romantically gush about him for the remainder of the season. Short memories and fickle opinions ect ect.

2 minutes ago, carewjust4u said:

Same people said that when we originally signed him, then proceeded to romantically gush about him for the remainder of the season. Short memories and fickle opinions ect ect.

He also had a bad injury, came back and faded towards the end of the season.

Since then he's been on vacation. 

Sure he's been keeping in shape, but he is past it.

But his "it" was pretty effing high compared to the rest of the players in this division.

He will suffice as a stop gap panic solution until January.

But the whole situation is a mess.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nigel said:

Terry can only carry on due to his professionalism. Its a quality in its self to keep looking after your body to the level that he does, and this combined with his general quality has given him a few more years.

This was proved last year.

Huth is a complete different case. He was good in his prime (although nowhere near Terry at his peak) but for all we know he could be in a right state now.

There is a reason most players don't play on into their mid thirties except a select few.

2 hours ago, MarkLillis said:

This opinion is misguided.

I know many older people who are very fit. Simply because they do what it takes to stay in shape.

I also know very unfit younger people who cant run for a bus....

Age is not an indicator of a persons condition.

Fair points. Micah Richards classic example. 

I take back my original post. I do think Huth would be quality though if he is fit. But appreciate it’s a big IF.

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Fair points. Micah Richards classic example. 

I take back my original post. I do think Huth would be quality though if he is fit. But appreciate it’s a big IF.

He isnt

8 minutes ago, AntrimBlack said:

To hell with the player/manager thing. His performances were already deteriorating towards the end of last season.

Bring him in as manager, sack Bruce; Terry would definitely do a better job than Bruce.

I'd imagine should bruce flop if terry were to come back, terry would be made interim manager for time being

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, AntrimBlack said:

Terry would definitely do a better job than Bruce.

To be fair, there is absolutely no basis for that whatsoever.

He was a great captain and had a great career as a player but that is no guarantee of managerial success. In fact, look at the best managers in the game and lots of them had very average playing careers.

Often, great players do not make great managers.

Remember Solskjaer at Cardiff? 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, One For The Road said:

He was a great captain and had a great career as a player but that is no guarantee of managerial success. In fact, look at the best managers in the game and lots of them had very average playing careers.

Terry has already won the Champions League and got us to a play off final in his managerial career ?

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, One For The Road said:

Hang on there. I did not say Terry would be a great manager, only that he would be better than Bruce. :D

:crylaugh:

SHOCK CLAIM 

John Terry to Manchester United? Former Chelsea captain tipped for sensational reunion with Jose Mourinho by talkSPORT presenter

John Terry could be the man to solve Manchester United’s defensive woes.

That’s the sensational claim from Adrian Durham, with the talkSPORT presenter insisting the 37-year-old is better than the majority of centre-backs Jose Mourinho currently has in his squad.

John Terry won three Premier League titles under Jose Mourinho at Chelsea

Terry, 37, left Aston Villa at the end of last season after a successful year-long spell in the Championship due to the club’s financial troubles.

He is now wanted back by Villa boss Steve Bruce after they received fresh investment but, according to our Adrian, the former Chelsea and England captain should be on his old boss Mourinho’s radar.

The United manager failed to land the central defender he wanted in the summer transfer window and his side have struggled at the back in the early stage of the season, shipping seven goals in their opening three matches.

Adrian, speaking on his Drivetime show, said: “All Manchester United can go with is free agents, John Terry is exactly that so why wouldn’t Manchester United go for John Terry?

“He is better than Rojo, of course he is!

John Terry made 36 appearances for the Villans last season

“John Terry would get into the Manchester United team ahead of Smalling, Jones, Rojo, Lindelof. Think of the crisis they have got at the back, think about how well Jose Mourinho knows John Terry.

“He is a free agent, it could happen.

“If Jose Mourinho has thought about it, I can see that happening.”

https://talksport.com/football/419021/john-terry-manchester-united-chelsea-jose-mourinho/

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Mic09 said:

What I don't understand is that we were perfectly happy to play him just 4 months ago and we praised him as one of our best players but now, only 16 weeks later, he is past it and too old.

It’s like the age old (if you’ll pardon the pun) assessment of someone being 29 one day and 30 the next with people calling 30 too old despite it being one day apart! 

Edited by VERB27

Â