John Terry

Farlz

It would just be another desperate throw of the dice from Bruce in a long line of desperate throws. That we are pinning our hopes on a rapidly declining 37 yr old (no doubt on ffp busting wages) is a further indicator of the man's inability to coach. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, chips'ngravy said:

It would just be another desperate throw of the dice from Bruce in a long line of desperate throws. That we are pinning our hopes on a rapidly declining 37 yr old (no doubt on ffp busting wages) is a further indicator of the man's inability to coach. 

Totally agree regarding Bruce , however if the case of carry on with what we have or add JT then I think it’s a no brainer.

JT brings more than just his on pitch qualities , he’s a leader and motivator - both of which we lack at this time . 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, chips'ngravy said:

Another £3m on wages for Terry probably wont make much difference. I think the new owners have decided to ignore it as our wage bill must already be way over  whats sustainable anyway

14 minutes ago, KHV said:

Another £3m on wages for Terry probably wont make much difference. I think the new owners have decided to ignore it as our wage bill must already be way over  whats sustainable anyway

Yeah. I have no idea how we are meeting ffp with these wages and future fees. That does worry me

13 minutes ago, KHV said:

It wouldn't be £3m

If we offer him a contract until May then we would have to pay him for 39 weeks. If we were to pay him £3m in that time then he would have to be earning £76k per week, more than he was on last season.

I would imagine we are offering around £30k per week so around £1.1m

In terms of him signing for Sporting Lisbon, I imagine it's nonsense. I would doubt he would move his kids to Portugal and out of school and away from the teams they are playing for (his daughter is with Chelsea), playing and commuting to Villa from his home in London whilst still picking up a decent wage is the sensible option.

Same as last season, throw him a £1m bonus for getting us up.

I'd offer almost no weekly salary (as in very small sum) and a pay as you pay contract.

Sure he can also get a bonus should we get promoted, but not the £2m he was offered last season. He will simply not offer that big a part in the team.

Most importantly this deal should not hinge on Bruce remaining or not. He simply must go no matter what.

He should come because he still feels he has what it takes do make a difference, because he liked the club, teammates and fans.

If Terry doesn't want to come here if his golf buddy isn't here and if he isn't offered PL wages then I don't want him here.

With that said, all things considered with the horrid state Bruce has left our defense then he might still be able to do a jod.

But I do wonder how long it would take for him to get back up to relative speed.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, wilko154 said:

It wouldn't be £3m

If we offer him a contract until May then we would have to pay him for 39 weeks. If we were to pay him £3m in that time then he would have to be earning £76k per week, more than he was on last season.

I would imagine we are offering around £30k per week so around £1.1m

In terms of him signing for Sporting Lisbon, I imagine it's nonsense. I would doubt he would move his kids to Portugal and out of school and away from the teams they are playing for (his daughter is with Chelsea), playing and commuting to Villa from his home in London whilst still picking up a decent wage is the sensible option.

Same as last season, throw him a £1m bonus for getting us up.

We paid him £70k a week last season, it's gooing to be a similar amount. There is no way anyone will be paying JT £30k per week. Jedinak is on over £50k, McCormack is over £30k and Richards is on £50k.

JT for the remainder of the season is going to be expensive. It will be a lot closer to £3m than £1.1m

31 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Yeah. I have no idea how we are meeting ffp with these wages and future fees. That does worry me

If we don't go up this season then next year will be a **** horror show ?

• Like 1

Let's not forget that Bruce is a master of PR spin, the Terry to Sporting thing is all a smokescreen so that when he joins us, Bruce can get all the plaudits for persuading him to join Villa, gives him a few extra weeks to turn it around.

• Like 1

I've read a lot of well argued posts from posters that have concerns about bringing Terry back, and i understand them i really do, but given that the window is closed i really don't see how those negatives (which are well reasoned), outweigh the positives.

Yes we have FFP issues, but the bids we made on deadline day give me hope that the owners have a plan for that. 

Yes it would take him weeks to get fit, but we currently can't resolve the CB issue for months (jan transfer window)

Yes he's slow (Jedinak isn't Usain Bolt)

He is much better than what have, he's available, he's also a well respected in what appears to be a fragmented dressing room. 

Is it ideal? No. The issue should have been resolved in the summer, but it's the best of a bad situation.

Edited by av1

53 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Another reason it’s vital we go up this season.

14 minutes ago, av1 said:

I've read a lot of well argued posts from posters that have concerns about bringing Terry back, and i understand them i really do, but given that the window is closed i really don't see how those negatives (which are well reasoned), outweigh the positives.

Yes we have FFP issues, but the bids we made on deadline day give me hope that the owners have a plan for that. 

Yes it would take him weeks to get fit, but we currently can't resolve the CB issue for months (jan transfer window)

Yes he's slow (Jedinak isn't Usain Bolt)

He is much better than what have, he's available, he's also a well respected in what appears to be a fragmented dressing room. 

Is it ideal? No. The issue should have been resolved in the summer, but it's the best of a bad situation.

Certainly a valid point, but speaking as someone who never bought into the Terry myth in the first place, I don't think he would actually make enough of a difference to matter in the overall scheme of things. 

2 minutes ago, poitier said:

Certainly a valid point, but speaking as someone who never bought into the Terry myth in the first place, I don't think he would actually make enough of a difference to matter in the overall scheme of things. 

Fair enough mate. But i think we're at the point were its less about what you think of Terry, and more the binary question of Terry or Jedinak. 

As i said, not ideal, but the idea of Jedinak till January fills me with dread. 

1 hour ago, sne said:

I'd offer almost no weekly salary (as in very small sum) and a pay as you pay contract.

Sure he can also get a bonus should we get promoted, but not the £2m he was offered last season. He will simply not offer that big a part in the team.

Most importantly this deal should not hinge on Bruce remaining or not. He simply must go no matter what.

He should come because he still feels he has what it takes do make a difference, because he liked the club, teammates and fans.

If Terry doesn't want to come here if his golf buddy isn't here and if he isn't offered PL wages then I don't want him here.

With that said, all things considered with the horrid state Bruce has left our defense then he might still be able to do a jod.

But I do wonder how long it would take for him to get back up to relative speed.

So you’re saying we should keep Bruce and sign Terry?

• Confused 1

Â