Transfer Speculation Summer 2017

Villan4Life

2 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

I still think a full back needs a winger to create an overlap to get crosses in. 

Although green looks very promising, I do think we need another quick/direct option for LM.

It's just when I think of wingers I picture lee sharp or Tony Daley that just bomb it down the win and cross but do little else. There aren't many of these players anymore and where there is they are normally full backs.

whats Adama up to?

2 hours ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Linked with Ryan Kent from Liverpool in the Birmingham Mail 

What do you know of him SGC?

If he's the one I'm thinking of, that was on loan at Barnsley last season, he may come well recommended by Bree and Hourihane. Definitely has youth on his side and looked comfortable in this league when I saw him play but not sure if he'd be good enough to start 

25 minutes ago, skarroki said:

What do you know of him SGC?

If he's the one I'm thinking of, that was on loan at Barnsley last season, he may come well recommended by Bree and Hourihane. Definitely has youth on his side and looked comfortable in this league when I saw him play but not sure if he'd be good enough to start 

Nothing, I don't remember ever seeing him play, so you're in a better position to assess him than me

No more signings needed for me but I would guess that if a deal for a game changer comes up we should be all over it. At this stage of the summer though, that's relatively unlikely. 

Happy with our lot. It's the best squad in the division. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

No more signings needed for me but I would guess that if a deal for a game changer comes up we should be all over it. At this stage of the summer though, that's relatively unlikely. 

No it's not. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Welcome back DDID, long time no read.

I agree that our dealings are likely done for summer now, perhaps a loan if one became available but it wouldn't matter if not.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, alreadyexists said:

I've never moaned that we don't give youth a chance. I think we do. But I'd rather we get out of the league we're in, who cares if we 'develop' another teams player we're literally not in the same league as Chelsea nor will we be if we don't get players that are better than the rest of the league. 

Often see Kyle Walker mentioned as an example of when a loan goes wrong... quite what people think we did to him in those few months that he played for us, like he couldn't kick a ball before hand and then left as a world beater. We gave him some game time, he game us some performances, that's all we can expect of each other. 

Grealish and Green both have chances, and if we loan another player then the best player plays... where's the harm in that? 

You are loaning in potential you aren't guaranteed anything. Take Ojo for example he's done less than Grealish and not much more than Green so why loan him? Signing him would be a gamble so let's gamble on our youth. Or if not get someone who's better and more experienced so it's not a gamble. You've mentioned Walker he was better than what we had at the time. Signings should be to improve the team. Loans especially should be better than what we've got. I'm all for signing players to get us out this league so the signings of Elmo Terry and Whelan are great for that reason. Signing another youth player to compete with ours isn't my idea of a good signing. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Rob182 said:

I think fans are just being realistic. The dream scenario is that we get promoted in a season where our promising youngsters play a big part, whilst developing themselves into quality first teamers. Similar to how Newcastle got promoted years ago, while Andy Carroll became a decent striker.

We hoped that Grealish would be that player last year, but that didn't happen. Hoping that Green or Grealish will be those players this year, is again, probably unrealistic. There's a chance that they might turn into decent players, but at the moment they're both largely unproven, with little evidence of end product above the U21 leagues.

Don't get me wrong, I still want our youngsters to get games and use our season in the Championship as a new learning curve for them, but they shouldn't be fully relied upon. Pressure can do a lot to a young player. If we could bring in a Snodgrass-type player, or someone similar, then I'd be all for it. Injuries and suspensions happen, so our youngsters WILL get games, but the most important thing for us is getting promoted, and we don't want to be in the same league next year, saying "Well Green and Grealish didn't do it, but this summer [insert young player] looks a real prospect, so he should be in the first team".

I think we are on the same page. I'd rather a Snodgrass type who's been there done it than sign another teams inexperienced youth player when we've got our own. That's why I'd give them the first 5/6 games then judge it. In the last week of the window we could easily sign some one like Snodgrass if need be. We need to go up this year so I'd rather sign experience than gamble on others youth. 

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, omariqy said:

Not getting excited but talk that Notts Forest have offered £1m for Micah Richards. Please be true.

They have offered to take him off our hands and we only have to pay them £1m??? RESULT. TAKE IT.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

20 minutes ago, dn1982 said:

You are loaning in potential you aren't guaranteed anything. Take Ojo for example he's done less than Grealish and not much more than Green so why loan him? Signing him would be a gamble so let's gamble on our youth. Or if not get someone who's better and more experienced so it's not a gamble. You've mentioned Walker he was better than what we had at the time. Signings should be to improve the team. Loans especially should be better than what we've got. I'm all for signing players to get us out this league so the signings of Elmo Terry and Whelan are great for that reason. Signing another youth player to compete with ours isn't my idea of a good signing. 

I think comepetition for our youth players is important, so if we loan a player in we aren't saying 'you start every week because you're from Liverpool' we say 'you, and all the others, have to earn the right to wear the shirt'. Then we play who ever is best, be that our own player or the loanee. I can't see that hurting the development of a youth player, it will make them work harder, but if ultimately they aren't as good then that's life unfortunately. 

Football is one of the only meritocracies left; if you're good you play and get paid, it doesn't matter if you're rich, poor, posh, common, your dad goes to the country club. Nothing really matters but how good you are (at least not on the scale to things matter in other walks of life).

... but I fear I am straying off topic so I'll stop there :)

Edited by alreadyexists

Richards has a 4 year deal with us that ends in 2019. If reports from when he signed are correct, Richards is on £60,000-a-week. He was on £75,000-a-week before joining us. I can't see Nottingham even offering half of that.

I truly believe we are stuck with Richards. Unless Nottingham offers him a 4+ year deal (they wont), Richards would be insane to leave us. 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Delphinho123 said:

No it's not. 

Alright, whose is?

Middlesborough? Fulham? 

They are the two closest to us I guess - based on last seasons form for the latter and the former employing a solid manager for this level. Derby, Norwich, Reading Wolves may have decent squads I don't know, but given our investment and the options we have, it's not absurd to suggest we have one of the strongest sides in the league. 

Whether our manager can actually get the most out of them is an entirely different issue, but on paper - we ought to expect promotion. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

I think comepetition for our youth players is important, so if we loan a player in we aren't saying 'you start every week because you're from Liverpool' we say 'you, and all the others, have to earn the right to wear the shirt'. Then we play who ever is best, be that our own player or the loanee. I can't see that hurting the development of a youth player, it will make them work harder, but if ultimately they aren't as good then that's life unfortunately. 

Football is one of the only meritocracies left; if you're good you play and get paid, it doesn't matter if you're rich, poor, posh, common, your dad goes to the country club. Nothing really matters but how good you are (at least not on the scale to things matter in other walks of life).

... but I fear I am straying off topic so I'll stop there :)

Sign players that are better than we've got. Signing similar players isn't a good idea. If we signed Snodgrass and let him compete with Green I'd be happy but signing someone of similar experience who isn't guaranteed to perform isn't a good idea. As you you say though it's going a bit off topic now 

5 minutes ago, Czechlad said:

Richards has a 4 year deal with us that ends in 2019. If reports from when he signed are correct, Richards is on £60,000-a-week. He was on £75,000-a-week before joining us. I can't see Nottingham even offering half of that.

I truly believe we are stuck with Richards. Unless Nottingham offers him a 4+ year deal (they wont), Richards would be insane to leave us. 

giphy.gif

• Like 3
  • Haha 1