Transfer Speculation Summer 2017

Villan4Life

On 08/04/2017 at 19:15, Eastie said:

Gareth Barry reportedly would love to end his career at villa - could still do a job for us next year and would probably be available as he's no longer a regular starter at goodison .

Where has that been reported? He is contracted with Everton until the end of next season and would be 37 by then. I suspect that he ended his career with us 8 years ago.  

9 hours ago, John said:

Where has that been reported? He is contracted with Everton until the end of next season and would be 37 by then. I suspect that he ended his career with us 8 years ago.  

I don't think it has but if he is not in Everton's plans then they probably would accept a token fee for a 36 year old this summer. We don't need a contract to expire to make a player ours.

• Like 1

I think the only way we'd get Barry would be if we offered him a long deal, for security.

A 2-3 year deal, something like that.

Don't think it will happen though.

Think Barry will want to start next season with Everton to reach the premier league appearance record (he's 10 games away from breaking Giggs' record).

Unless he feels confident in our promotion push next season so he can break it the season after. :D

• Like 1

12 hours ago, sparrow1988 said:

I don't think it has but if he is not in Everton's plans then they probably would accept a token fee for a 36 year old this summer. We don't need a contract to expire to make a player ours.

But we do need him to want to come and I doubt that he "would love" to leave Everton to play for us next season unless we match his current wages and offer him a contract until he reaches 38 or 39. I just cannot see it happening particularly if Everton also try to squeeze a fee out of us. 

• Like 1

On 4/9/2017 at 14:46, VillaChris said:

Linked with George Boyd in the People.

Out of contract with Burnley end of the season.

Thats the type, that would add value to our pursuit of promotion.

Edited by TRO

As far as I can see Everton's first choice midfield is Schnderlein, Gana and Barkley but Barry is always first on to close out the game.

He also last started an Everton game...8 days ago. So this idea he's well out of favour there is untrue.

I'm sure the Everton fan who posts on here would give more info but unless Everton sign more midfielders I can't see why he wouldn't stay on as a  squad player next season.

4 hours ago, VillaChris said:

As far as I can see Everton's first choice midfield is Schnderlein, Gana and Barkley but Barry is always first on to close out the game.

He also last started an Everton game...8 days ago. So this idea he's well out of favour there is untrue.

I'm sure the Everton fan who posts on here would give more info but unless Everton sign more midfielders I can't see why he wouldn't stay on as a  squad player next season.

He's probably got one more year left in him so will probably not want to be sitting on the bench approaching 36 yrs old .

Hes back  up midfielder there at the moment and the idea of helping villa up may well be more appealing than seeing put his career on the bench ,  he started the last game but was on the bench for the game before - he is past his best now but could probably still cut it at our level . 

The mail did a piece on this the other day with the take of the the Liverpool echos everton reporter .

Bruce may have other targets in any case but I'd welcome Barry back if it happened .

Edited by Eastie

9 hours ago, villanwesty88 said:

Maybe Barry will go to Brighton on a one-year deal to ensure he gets appearances up in the PL? He's from down there and started his youth career at BHA. (This isn't linked to any reports or anything just a loose guess)

I think they were a bit bitter with the way he left Brighton at the time.  A lot of water under the bridge but there's probably more chance he'd come here than there.  Not that I think that's even a very big chance at all.

On 11/04/2017 at 12:39, John said:

My take on it too. 

He was asked (about returning) a few weeks ago and said something along the lines of never say never in football, but that he's happy at Everton. 

Wants to stay in the Premier League as long as possible and doesn't fancy the drop down. 

In true Dumb and Dumber style, a few have read that polite brush off/ chance in a million as he's on his way back this summer.

We'd need to be back in the top flight as a minimum before he'd look at it, I'd expect. 

Edited by HolteExile
  • Like 1

Thought he signed a 2 year deal last season? 

Anyway.. i think we need another striker.. maybe a cheapie who has potential and happy to sit on the bench?

Kodjia Hogan RHM and ??? Gabby should go now. McCormack will go id imagine. 

Jamie Maclaren plays for Brisbane Roar.. cusp of Australian International side.. hes a massive Villa fan. 38 goals in 50 games for them. Just a lethal finisher. Hasnt been called up too often as he is still developing his game.. but if Bruce and co can get him.. could turn him into a proper goal machine. 23 years old. 

We have to resist further major surgery.

There's loads we could move out without upsetting the squad  - Gabby, Richards, Kozak, Cisshoko, Veretout, Gil, Sanchez, Bunn/Steer, Golllini, McCormack - and this would free up an awful lot of money.

We then need to focus on 2 areas:

1. First teamers - bring in those who will start only. The squad has enough depth.
  2. Future stars - we must never stop doing this; it's what Spurs have done for years and is doing them a lot of good.

I guess the list of those we should move on may grow as youngsters step up (RHM, Green, Lyden, Bree, Bedeau, Suliman, Toner).
It could also grow if the right starters join. I'm thinking Tish, De Laet, Elphick, Gardner, Bacuna and perhaps even Grealish.

The key is, how the **** do we shift that lot - 10 totally surplus, plus another 5 or 6 dependant on youngsters/signings.

2 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Hernandez is on a free in the summer I'd go for him

I was thinking this is a possibility as well, Bruce has worked with him before and this will give us a forward line up for next season to choose from of Kodjia, Hernandez and Hogan plus the youngsters.

56 minutes ago, NeilS said:

I was thinking this is a possibility as well, Bruce has worked with him before and this will give us a forward line up for next season to choose from of Kodjia, Hernandez and Hogan plus the youngsters.

That would be sheer fear in this league in my view. I'd say with Hernandez, it's almost guaranteed promotion with Hogan and kodjia still here.

We can afford to pay big wages I feel as we don't need many players so we don't have to spend big on transfer fees.he should be our number one target along with a goal keeper. If we can get Boyd as well on a free I'd say we probably only need a cm to compete with jedinak and maybe a leftback if amavi leaves

• Like 1