Transfer Speculation Summer 2017

Villan4Life

3 minutes ago, Eastie said:

Gareth Barry reportedly would love to end his career at villa - could still do a job for us next year and would probably be available as he's no longer a regular starter at goodison .

A definite yes from me, with a view to him doing his management badges and bringing him into the training set up. 

• Like 4

8 hours ago, alreadyexists said:

Trent (and anyone else who cares to answer me) do you think a clean sweep is best in terms of getting rid of those loaned out at the moment (Gil, Sanchez, Veretout, etc.)? Or do you think there's a benefit in keeping any of them? Are they all lost causes?

By choice, I think the club would get rid of the lot.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Eastie said:

Gareth Barry reportedly would love to end his career at villa - could still do a job for us next year and would probably be available as he's no longer a regular starter at goodison .

I would love GB to come back here in the summer. Is he still a regular for Everton though? I cannot see him dropping down a division if he is still playing regularly as he is nearing Ryan Giggs for PL appearances.

I guess it all depends on how long he feels he wants to keep playing, and what contract situation he is in, and offers he has had?

40 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

I've heard the same and he would have come before he went to Everton but Lambert wasn't keen.

I think he would be a fantastic signing for us.

"Lambert wasn't keen"?

Surely a bloody typo?!

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, NeilS said:

I would love GB to come back here in the summer. Is he still a regular for Everton though? I cannot see him dropping down a division if he is still playing regularly as he is nearing Ryan Giggs for PL appearances.

I guess it all depends on how long he feels he wants to keep playing, and what contract situation he is in, and offers he has had?

He's great in a counterattacking side which is how Bruce seems to be setting us up at the moment. He would pick up the ball outside our penalty area and quickly release Young in that O'Neil side. I could see him doing that for Albert & DangerMouse

• Like 2

1 minute ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

"Lambert wasn't keen"?

Surely a bloody typo?!

I heard that too. 

I think one of Lambert's biggest failings was he couldn't handle "bigger name" players. He loved the Ashley Westwood types. But he binned off James Collins as soon as he got here. Bent spent all that time playing with the under 21's. It's nuts when you look at who has trained with our youth players over the last 5 years.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, TheAuthority said:

He's great in a counterattacking side which is how Bruce seems to be setting us up at the moment. He would pick up the ball outside our penalty area and quickly release Young in that O'Neil side. I could see him doing that for Albert & DangerMouse

He is. Plus, He also offers a calming influence in front of the back four, and is great at retaining possession under pressure. I don't like to say it, but I would be very confident of promotion next season if GB was in the team.

edit: Just seen Theboyangel has made the same point :blush:

Edited by NeilS
  • Like 1

I've spent the last few years poo-pooing the idea as totally unrealistic, but I'm not so sure this season. He's not in Everton's best XI any more and really is getting on a bit. What's more, he'd get a hero's welcome here and probably we'd offer him a more than decent wage, we pay Jedinak a fortune after all. 

15 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

I've heard the same and he would have come before he went to Everton but Lambert wasn't keen.

I think he would be a fantastic signing for us.

What a word removed. 

Barry at this level would be an absolutely amazing signing. 

• Like 3

Christ, the older and fatter he gets the more I can see it happening. Barry would be an incredible signing.

But any side outside the top 6 of the Premier League should jump at the chance to sign him, wonderful footballer.

It's a nice easy way to dismiss someone who ain't worth listening to actually.

"Never rated Barry"

I immediately stop listening... they don't get it.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Linked with George Boyd in the People.

Out of contract with Burnley end of the season.

bg-06.jpg

Would that make us a cultured club?

Oh dear... I think I need to stop drinking in the day.

Edited by alreadyexists
  • Like 2

58 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

I'd take him especially on a free

Agreed. Works extremely hard and would be great for the big games in the championship. Wouldn't be surprised if Burnley kept him though!

• Like 1