Transfer Speculation Summer 2017

Villan4Life

3 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

Christ, the older and fatter he gets the more I can see it happening. Barry would be an incredible signing.

But any side outside the top 6 of the Premier League should jump at the chance to sign him, wonderful footballer.

It's a nice easy way to dismiss someone who ain't worth listening to actually.

"Never rated Barry"

I immediately stop listening... they don't get it.

True, but I am pretty sure he will be content enough with the money he has made, and may be interested in going out with a swansong/sentimental value.

If this Barry rumour has legs it'll be the first unrealistic transfer rumour we've discussed on VillaTalk that I'll be genuinely gutted about when it doesn't happen. 

Love a bit of sentimentality in football. Would make picking the captain for next season a no-brainer too 

• Like 4

11 hours ago, digiTALLdave said:

Barry coming back and steadying the ship, guiding the team to promotion... That would be unreal. At this point in his career i couldn't think of a better option for him.

I was thinking that - Barry steering us to promotion, what a way to close your career, at the club that you love. Please Tony, pleeeeeeaseeeeeeeee!!!!!

• Like 4

Depends what kind of physical condition he's in. His whole thing is running further than everyone else, chasing down more than everyone else, being the hardest-working player on the field. If he can't do that any more, then frankly he probably isn't worth it. If he can, different story. 

• Like 1

I don't want Barry back!

I'm bitter I guess, but I've not forgiven him for following the money to Citeh. The guy could have been a really genuine Villa legend but he chose to leave and what makes it even worse is that he chose to leave in a period when we were actually competitive. I would have loved to have seen him in a midfield with Milner, Young, Delph, and Downing.

I'd rather we looked at finding the next Gareth Barry.

Edited by Supervillan78
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, BOF said:

He was here for 12 years and 365 appearances.  I think he more than earned his move.  IMO you can't begrudge him that, at what was then 28 years of age.

As I recall (and I could be wrong) he gave an interview in the Sun? in which he was derogatory towards the club and MON. He then tried to engineer a move to Liverpool (with his agent) whilst still under contract. So yeah, I can't stand it. But like I said I'm a little bitter about it so...

Edited by Supervillan78

4 minutes ago, Supervillan78 said:

As I recall (and I could be wrong) he gave an interview in the Sun? in which he was derogatory towards the club and MON. He then tried to engineer a move to Liverpool (with his agent) whilst still under contract. So yeah, I can't stand it. But like I said I'm a little bitter about it so...

And following that interview, Barry gave us one of his best seasons (along with Laursen). 

Yes, there was a bitter taste when he left but he was a great servant to the club and sadly Lerner couldn't match his ambition.

its just football and players engineering moves, showing little or no loyalty or respect to the fans is the norm now. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

And following that interview, Barry gave us one of his best seasons (along with Laursen). 

Yes, there was a bitter taste when he left but he was a great servant to the club and sadly Lerner couldn't match his ambition.

its just football and players engineering moves, showing little or no loyalty or respect to the fans is the norm now. 

I understand that my opinion on this subject is unpopular, I get it, however that's my opinion for the reason's I stated.

I can't stand the bloke, he didn't treat the club with any respect (IMO) when he left so don't want him back... same as Delph.

I'd rather we worked towards finding the next 'Barry' type player.

Edited by Supervillan78

6 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

Depends what kind of physical condition he's in. His whole thing is running further than everyone else, chasing down more than everyone else, being the hardest-working player on the field. If he can't do that any more, then frankly he probably isn't worth it. If he can, different story. 

Seems to be doing it no problem in the premier league most weeks.

3 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Seems to be doing it no problem in the premier league most weeks.

Is he? I thought he'd mostly been dropped these days. I admit I don't follow Burnley at all closely though, they bore me to tears.