17/18 Promotion Charge

dont_do_it_doug.

If we're going to get top two we need a big run of wins, I think if we get up there we'll take some shifting.

I don't think the points are that important at the moment, maybe be I'm being naive but  Wolves aside I don't see any of the teams that have more points than us maintaining form and getting second, I think they'll all fall away at some point leaving space for whichever one of us/Middlesbrough/Derby hits the best form over Christmas.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jjaacckk91 said:

If we're going to get top two we need a big run of wins, I think if we get up there we'll take some shifting.

I don't think the points are that important at the moment, maybe be I'm being naive but  Wolves aside I don't see any of the teams that have more points than us maintaining form and getting second, I think they'll all fall away at some point leaving space for whichever one of us/Middlesbrough/Derby hits the best form over Christmas.

Hope you're right but think you are underestimating Sheffield United because they look the real deal this season too!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, jjaacckk91 said:

Even without Terry? 

I think there are almost 2 leagues in the Championship. One half of it are teams that are all capable of making playoffs. On any given day they can beat anyone. The other half are pretty poor and we should always beat them. 

We have generally struggled against the first half of teams this season which is why I'm worried. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Even without Terry? 

I think there are almost 2 leagues in the Championship. One half of it are teams that are all capable of making playoffs. On any given day they can beat anyone. The other half are pretty poor and we should always beat them. 

We have generally struggled against the first half of teams this season which is why I'm worried. 

Even without Terry we're well capable, it might encourage bruce to be more positive and play on the front foot, but we've been decent defensively since Bruce arrived anyway, I think our fortunes will be decided  on how well we  do at the other end of the pitch tbh.

Fwiw I don't think it's likely we'll make top 2 but we're certainly still well in the mix, just need to put a run together and Bruce's results have been a bit streaky.

• Like 1

Saturday was the most deflated I've felt in a long time after a Villa game. The reason for this is that I was actually starting to get some belief and hope, something which I havn't had in 4-5 years.

BUT - we are still in it - we need to put a run of wins together now and stay in contention.

• Like 2

I see a number of posts indicating that we have the 'best team' in the division and should be tearing the place up. Likewise, I see posts indicating that we have the most expensively assembled squad in the division... the best squad.  

Losing Terry shouldn't mean our season implodes. If it does, then we have become incredibly insular and small. We are not a one player team. We are not a one defender defence. For the record, I never expected Terry to feature in every game. Far from it. The 'ever present' nature of his tenure this season has actually surprised me.

Preston have an injury crisis - we don't. We SHOULD be capable of dealing with this.

So what is the actual truth here? Is the squad deep enough... is the team really GOOD enough?

Edited by Raver50032
  • Like 2

I'm worried.  I've been worried all season.  I was worried even before the latest loss.

At no point during the season have we looked like we could achieve top 2, and every little setback makes it look less likely.

We now probably need 5-6 wins in a row to catch second, which again is very unlikely.  

• Like 2

Before Saturday, I was beginning to think about changing my prediction of an 8th placed finish to a 6th placed one. Results were going our way, depsite not really playing well, and I thought that with a bit of improvement, we could finish 6th. Even maybe as high a 5th.

Now, however, with JT out for 2-3 months, I just cant see how we will accumulate enough points to trouble the play off positions. Contrary to "we have a great squad" fallacy, this is an injury that puts us in real danger of falling down the table over the busiest period of the season.

I hope Im wrong, but I can't se how we will get enough points to remain in top 6 this season as i think we will struggle for points over the next 10 games or so.

Edited by One For The Road
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ender4 said:

I'm worried.  I've been worried all season.  I was worried even before the latest loss.

At no point during the season have we looked like we could achieve top 2, and every little setback makes it look less likely.

We now probably need 5-6 wins in a row to catch second, which again is very unlikely.  

You'll be worried next season too. 

I reckon 88 points might do it this year, for a top 2 finish. That means we need 62 points from the next 30 games.  We can only really lose another 4 or 5 games in the season, which means we need to win 18 or so games and draw the rest. Pretty tough ask.

9 hours ago, Raver50032 said:

I see a number of posts indicating that we have the 'best team' in the division and should be tearing the place up. Likewise, I see posts indicating that we have the most expensively assembled squad in the division... the best squad.  

Losing Terry shouldn't mean our season implodes. If it does, then we have become incredibly insular and small. We are not a one player team. We are not a one defender defence. For the record, I never expected Terry to feature in every game. Far from it. The 'ever present' nature of his tenure this season has actually surprised me.

Preston have an injury crisis - we don't. We SHOULD be capable of dealing with this.

So what is the actual truth here? Is the squad deep enough... is the team really GOOD enough?

you can't judge anything on one game, but we was at home and in our oil-tot.....They are not amongst the teams to be really worried about, certainly not at home....Their manager Carvalhal was under much pressure, so it was a particularly surprising result for me and one I think we did badly in trying to recover from that early goal.

I don't think the first eleven is good enough for top 2 quite frankly and I think we underestimate the strength of some of the other squads too.

• Like 2

We are coming into mid November and the highest position we have been in this whole calendar year is 5th. For 2 days. 

The idea that we are suddenly going to go on some crazy run that sees us overhaul the top 2 is quite frankly absurd. Especially under the current management.

Edited by One For The Road
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, One For The Road said:

We are coming into mid November and the highest position we have been in this whole calendar year is 5th. For 2 days. 

The idea that we are suddenly going to go on some crazy run that sees as overhaul the top 2 is quite frankly absurd. 

or unlikely.:)

Edited by TRO

Why do people think we aren't capable of a good run of results?

Since Bruce has been here yes we've had poor runs but also good ones. Last season it was something like 7 wins in 8 around Feb/march(feel free to correct as going off memory) and this year before last weekend we were top over the last 8 games( gameweek 7 to 15).

I'm aware I'm being a bit selective here but I'm not trying to argue the likelihood of it happening just that we are very much capable. 

30 games to go people, it's all very much still to play for.

• Like 1

My perception and lack of science jjaacckk91is that our 'upturns' in results and form are not sustained enough to get us to where we need to be, and where the Club aspires to be. Our patchy inconsistent spells seem to hamper our upward trend, and we have had a couple of desperate runs - January into February this calendar year still rankles with me. Different season though, so not really fair anymore to batter manager with it. But have the lessons been learned? I'm not sure.

8 hours ago, jjaacckk91 said:

Why do people think we aren't capable of a good run of results?

Since Bruce has been here yes we've had poor runs but also good ones. Last season it was something like 7 wins in 8 around Feb/march(feel free to correct as going off memory) and this year before last weekend we were top over the last 8 games( gameweek 7 to 15).

I'm aware I'm being a bit selective here but I'm not trying to argue the likelihood of it happening just that we are very much capable. 

30 games to go people, it's all very much still to play for.

I don’t think people think we can’t have a run of good results, I think people think we can’t sustain good results. There is a difference. 

I don’t think we are in with a chance of top 2, play offs maybe.

• Like 4