17/18 Promotion Charge

dont_do_it_doug.

1 minute ago, TrentVilla said:

I don’t think people think we can’t have a run of good results, I think people think we can’t sustain good results. There is a difference. 

I don’t think we are in with a chance of top 2, play offs maybe.

I think we have every chance but we need consistency . 

The gap at this stage is certainly not that big - in this division a run of 3 or 4 wins in a row makes a huge dIfference - we have some good fixtures ahead and need to win them - draws no not cut the mustard .

I still think the biggest threat to us is boro.  No one is really talking about them and now they have slowly crept above us.

Saturday was a bad slip up we cant afford anymore of them now if we want automatic. Otherwise we will have to settle for fighting it out in the play offs. Anyone fancy us considering we seem to crumble under pressure? =(

1 hour ago, Eastie said:

The gap at this stage is certainly not that big - in this division a run of 3 or 4 wins in a row makes a huge dIfference - we have some good fixtures ahead and need to win them - draws no not cut the mustard .

We don’t play well enough to get lasting consistency. Our game and good form depends on getting in front and staying in front, it did last season and it does this season.

When we don’t take our chances we tend to lose.

We don’t create enough, certainly against sides that sit deep and particularly when we are behind in games.

We haven’t really had any lasting consistency in the time Bruce has been here.

My dismissal of our chances of top 2 is less about the current gap and more about what I think are our short comings which will mean we won’t find the sort of consistency to get automatic promotion.

• Like 4

Since the end of August we have had some consistency wIth just 2 defeats In 13 games and plenty of wins , if we can keep that going we won’t be far off come may .

im hoping grealsh  will come to the fore and play a major role in the coming months - whether he will or not remains to be seen .

• Like 1

To add to what trent said when we go behind we hardly ever come back or even win the game. It does rely on us taking the lead then holding on. I do agree with that. That is a major frustaryion with bruce but we knew what we wete getting when we appointed him.

1 hour ago, Eastie said:

Since the end of August we have had some consistency wIth just 2 defeats In 13 games and plenty of wins , if we can keep that going we won’t be far off come may .

im hoping grealsh  will come to the fore and play a major role in the coming months - whether he will or not remains to be seen .

I admire your optimism and liked your post for that. 2 defeats in 13 sounds really good. But it's still not proving good enough sadly.

1 hour ago, DCJonah said:

It is for this league. 

When the transfer window shut we were 7 points off 2nd. 

We're still 7 points off 2nd. 

To close that gap in this league requires consistency from us and a lack of consistency from teams above us. It's difficult. 

A 7 point gap with 30 games to go is far from insurmountable ,

I’d go as far as to say I’d be surprised if either sheff utd ,Cardiff or Bristol city are even in the top 6 come may but only time will tell .

Edited by Eastie

3 hours ago, Eastie said:

I’m with you on this except I see it as 4-5 wins needed . Unfortunately, I think Sheff Wed at home was the first game we needed to win as part of that run and defeat was a real setback - much more so than the results against Wolves and SHA that upset Bruce’s detractors so much.

I think we need a little more than consistency now - we need a couple of results against the form sides to make up for our recent lapses. Losing Terry and potentially Snodgrass as well makes it that much harder. Let’s just hope Grealish steps up to the plate over the next couple of months

• Like 1

The maths is quite easy.

We need 2ppg over a whole season to literally garantee 2nd or above. allowing a little room to manouver something around mid 80‘s and plus may also be enough (I don‘t want to hang it on a definative figure)

So far our „selective“ good runs have been around that 2ppg marker.

However, the „Hysteria“ runs (like Wolves <-> SheffW - 0-3-1-0 = 4/12) means that for every bad run that results in pts dropped against the 2ppg target, our ppg of 2 has to be upped untill the defecit has been cancelled out.

The longer that takes, the less games are left to make it back up. IF we drop 1pt that strikes off 2 games from the „results that make up the difference“  list, as we must win one game more than our average 2ppg target.

I dont want to be a defeatist, but, that just gonna happen.

We didnt have much margin for error after 5/6 games, and that margin for error is getting smaller and smaller as the games tick by.

The theory that a 10 game run of 8 wins and 2 draws will get us back on track is correct, and noone can argue against the fact.  (26 games/52pts )

That would leave us with 20 games to play needing a further 8-10 more wins and 8-10 draws to reach the target. (a range between 30pts to 40pts added to our 16/52pts total = 82-92pts)

that would mean around 18 wins & 8 draws plus - allowing around 4 or less defeats.

Any more pts dropped (v 2ppg) only means draws or defeats must be turned into even more wins.

Anyone for Bruceball?

Edited by Grasshopper

Depends what people feel is needed for automatic promotion I guess but hull finished 2nd under Bruce on just 79 points .

For what it’s worth no 2nd place team has ever needed 92 points to be promoted .

usually it’s 85 - 88 points required 

Edited by Eastie

Just now, Eastie said:

hull finished 2nd under Bruce on just 9 points  

?

Just now, Eastie said:

For what it’s worth no 2nd place team has ever needed 92 points to be promoted .

thats why I gave 82pts<->92pts as a ballpark figure

28 minutes ago, Eastie said:

Depends what people feel is needed for automatic promotion I guess but hull finished 2nd under Bruce on just 9 points .

usually it’s 85 - 88 points required 

We can do that - I'm more optimistic now. :D

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

Yes, but, insofar as I could follow your calculations, they were all based on needing 92 points, 2 points per game.

The maths is quite easy.

We need 2ppg over a whole season to literally garantee 2nd or above. allowing a little room to manouver something around mid 80‘s and plus may also be enough (I don‘t want to hang it on a definative figure) 

thats what I wrote

1 hour ago, Grasshopper said:

?

thats why I gave 82pts<->92pts as a ballpark figure

3 minutes ago, Lerner's Driver said:

He'd be a real challenge for you in the running commentary stakes. 

You are relentless in the defence of a manager who failed us and continues to do so.

Nothing like moving the goal „posts“ to deflect eh?