17/18 Promotion Charge

dont_do_it_doug.

2 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Destroyed by an 11th placed side at home, not good enough, we're going to struggle. We might sneak playoffs at best but that isn't good enough, the resources Bruce has had available to him should see us seriously challenging for top 2. 

Beaten yes but not destroyed - they had 2 shots on target and scored 2 very good goals - they deserved to win but were certainly not destroyed by them .

Edited by Eastie
  • Like 3

26 minutes ago, Eastie said:

With 30 games left I believe we can still achieve automatic promotion regardless of yesterday

There's no evidence to support that opinion. In the last 12 months, and so far this season, we've seen nothing that indicates we can improve enough to get into the top two in the league.

Edited by villa89
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Eastie said:

Beaten yes but not destroyed - they had 2 shots on target and scored 2 very good goals - they deserved to win but were certainly not destroyed by them .

Fully agree. We have shown enough this season that for once we can look at the other side in a defeat like this rather than always at what we did or didn't do. That said, even without the early goal and terry going off a point would have been a good result as they were very organised and worked very very hard. I think this will get a reaction, and we won't let our guard down next time. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, villa89 said:

There's no evidence to support that opinion. In the last 12 months, and so far this season, we've seen nothing that indicates we can improve enough to get into the top two in the league.

Over the last 13 games we are right up there just off the top 2 - we can improve but we are not that far off  ..

25 points from the last 13 games is aotomatic promotion form .

1 minute ago, Eastie said:

Over the last 13 games we are right up there just off the top 2 - we can improve but we are not that far off  ..

25 points from the last 13 games is aotomatic promotion form .

But it's being able to be more consistent than 13 games. The problem under Bruce is that we just don't look like it's something we can produce consistently over a season. We will have good spells but we always seem to be having to play catch up

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

But it's being able to be more consistent than 13 games. The problem under Bruce is that we just don't look like it's something we can produce consistently over a season. We will have good spells but we always seem to be having to play catch up

IF we continue to accrue points at the  rate of the past 13 games we will go up - we need to continue obvoiusly but we can only judge on recent form - what happened a year ago is immaterial as it was a totally different side .

Edited by Eastie

31 minutes ago, Eastie said:

Very much this. They had the luck of the gods yesterday and beat us by 1 goal. 

A couple of pretty passing moves aside they barely troubled us.

Yesterday was our own doing. Heads dropped after the setbacks.

Edited by Nigel

As @Eastie says, current form (the last 13 games) has us on that 2 point per game target. The past 2 seasons 90 points would get you there or thereabouts for automatic promotion so we not only need to maintain our form but also find another gear as our form would only get us in the high 80s. Now, more than ever it really is down to Bruce to reconfigure us a wee bit, to compensate for the loss of Terry, we will without doubt concede more without him. The season will be won or lost in the next 6 games IMHO, play-offs could very well be our destiny. 

44 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Destroyed by an 11th placed side at home, not good enough, we're going to struggle. We might sneak playoffs at best but that isn't good enough, the resources Bruce has had available to him should see us seriously challenging for top 2. 

We were not destroyed they had 3 attempts and the two on target were goals!  Ad result yes but sometimes it happens. I am concerned now obviously about cb but Chester is also a superb cb. I think jedinak will get the nod at cb ahead of samba long term

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Eastie said:

25 points from the last 13 games is automatic promotion form .

Why did you pick the last 13 games as your sample size? Was it just the only number you could find that comes close to supporting your argument? Why didn't you chose the last five games (7 points from 15)? Or chose the last 14 games, where it's still 25 points, or the last 15 games where, guess what, it's still just 25 points or all the games this season where our total is just 26 points from 48 available. Which isn't anywhere near automatic promotion. 

There's no evidence to support the opinion that we can get automatic promotion this season. You can't rationally look at our manager, our performances, our points total, our form, our tactics (or lack thereof), our budget for January, etc. and come to the conclusion that we'll be one of the two automatic promotion teams. It might still happen, but realistically we need a huge turnaround that would be bordering on miraculous. It's the same chance Steve Bruce has of picking the lottery numbers out of the lucky bag he uses to pick our formation every week. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

We were not destroyed they had 3 attempts and the two on target were goals!  Ad result yes but sometimes it happens. I am concerned now obviously about cb but Chester is also a superb cb. I think jedinak will get the nod at cb ahead of samba long term

Really hope so. Id be far less concerned having him at the back than Samba or (Shudder) Elphick.

Just now, villa89 said:

Why did you pick the last 13 games as your sample size? Was it just the only number you could find that comes close to supporting your argument? Why didn't you chose the last five games (7 points from 15)? Or chose the last 14 games, where it's still 25 points, or the last 15 games where, guess what, it's still just 25 points or all the games this season where our total is just 26 points from 48 available. Which isn't anywhere near automatic promotion. 

There's no evidence to support the opinion that we can get automatic promotion this season. You can't rationally look at our manager, our performances, our points total, our form, our tactics (or lack thereof), our budget for January, etc. and come to the conclusion that we'll be one of the two automatic promotion teams. It might still happen, but realistically we need a huge turnaround that would be bordering on miraculous. It's the same chance Steve Bruce has of picking the lottery numbers out of the lucky bag he uses to pick our formation every week. 

The results of the last 13 games are the evidence you keep requesting whch is automatic promotion form - the fact you choose to deny that is your choice , we can all use different results to justify our opinions - we are 5th in the table and within 2 wins of automatic promotion places with 30 games to go so to suggest we are nowhere near it is wrong n my opinion .

Time will tell but I think we have every chance of automatic promotion this season - you don’t agree so fair enough .

Just now, Jareth said:

The bigger the sample size the more accurate. 

Indeed, so in that case, the figure that should have been chosen is the point total over the 16 games this season which is 26 from 48, or 6 shy of the 'two points per game' target. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jareth said:

The bigger the sample size the more accurate. Also we've played 16 games, this sample is 80% of the season so far. 

I’ve used mainly the results since the transfer window ended and teams then had their squads sorted 

2 minutes ago, Jareth said:

The bigger the sample size the more accurate. Also we've played 16 games, this sample is 80% of the season so far. 

and the whole season has us 5th, 9 points from 1st but 7 points from 16th. 

2 minutes ago, villa89 said:

Indeed, so in that case, the figure that should have been chosen is the point total over the 16 games this season which is 26 from 48, or 6 shy of the 'two points per game' target. 

Are you disputing that we have taken 25 points from our last 13 games which is automatic promotion form :)

‘you use your stats and I’ll use mine :D

3 minutes ago, Rodders said:

and the whole season has us 5th, 9 points from 1st but 7 points from 16th. 

Indeed with 90 points to play for , there will be many highs and lows along the way , as you know I’m no great fan of Bruce but some of the criticism in the last 24 hours has been ridiculous 

Edited by Eastie

Since our terrible start against Cardiff and reading it's... 

played 12

won 7

drew 3

lost 2 

not too bad is it. Thing which I don't get is we could win 4 or 5 on the bounce which we actually did not long ago, then have 1 defeat and it's Bruce out etc. I'm not a huge fan, but at the moment he's the best bet we have. 

• Like 1