17/18 Promotion Charge

dont_do_it_doug.

I do wonder how not getting second might affect either Fulham or Cardiff. Cardiff have had it in their hands for such a long time that to fail now would be a kick in the teeth regardless of what Warnock says to the media. Fulham are another funny one - their fans have slowly convinced themselves that 2nd is theirs. The run they have been on has been great and has raised expectations. They have built themselves up and comments on their boards after Brentford were interesting. Both teams expect second now and one is going to fail and that could bring a whole different mindset to the party. 

As for us, we're are preparing for the play offs. We know that it's the likely route so you just wonder. How often does the 3rd place team ending up making a pig's ear of the play offs because they find it hard to 'go again'?

PS - As for beating Fulham - We went to Craven Cottage missing both Jack and Albert who have been integral to our post Xmas form. It may have been a bit different that day had we have had a threat rather than being forced to sit back and try and draw. I also remember JK giving them a good going over leading us to beat them at Villa Park. Despite Fulham's run, a Villa team with Albert, Jack and Jimmy firing will cause anyone trouble. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, NASTY_LEE said:

PS - As for beating Fulham - We went to Craven Cottage missing both Jack and Albert who have been integral to our post Xmas form. It may have been a bit different that day had we have had a threat rather than being forced to sit back and try and draw. I also remember JK giving them a good going over leading us to beat them at Villa Park. Despite Fulham's run, a Villa team with Albert, Jack and Jimmy firing will cause anyone trouble. 

You're damn right, and this is the trajectory we're heading at. Other teams should fear us and I bet they do. Trash talk aside, any of the other playoff contenders will be hoping they won't have to face us either over two legs nor in the final. Yet here we are and they can't be liking that.

11 hours ago, NASTY_LEE said:

Whats to say we wont be missing them again if we play them? 

11 hours ago, NurembergVillan said:

The constant debate over which team in the top 6 has spent the most absolutely bores me to tears.

Anyone watching the Masters last weekend wasn't debating who'd got the most expensive set of irons.

Probably because expensive irons don't make you better at golf however you buy success in football.

Edited by villa89

55 minutes ago, John said:

If we reach the final at Wembley can anyone really see anybody other than John Terry lifting the playoff trophy (including Villa players) at the end of the game? :D

nope...ive said all along if we get there, i fancy us to turn over anyone, even fulham

• Like 1

11 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

I confess I still don't see the point of talking about style of play. I get that some posters on here don't like it, but really, so what? We can't change it now - to even attempt to do so at this stage would be disastrously stupid - so people might as well just get behind the team and create an atmosphere of positivity at this stage. 

Frankly, I couldn't care less if we won the playoff final by tripping Fulham's players up and launching 85-yard long balls onto Samba's head. Just as long as we win. 

You’ve been reading Steve Bruce’s notes for his pre-match talk, haven’t you?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

14 hours ago, NASTY_LEE said:

I do wonder how not getting second might affect either Fulham or Cardiff. Cardiff have had it in their hands for such a long time that to fail now would be a kick in the teeth regardless of what Warnock says to the media. Fulham are another funny one - their fans have slowly convinced themselves that 2nd is theirs. The run they have been on has been great and has raised expectations. They have built themselves up and comments on their boards after Brentford were interesting. Both teams expect second now and one is going to fail and that could bring a whole different mindset to the party. 

As for us, we're are preparing for the play offs. We know that it's the likely route so you just wonder. How often does the 3rd place team ending up making a pig's ear of the play offs because they find it hard to 'go again'?

People keep saying this, but to me, it's baffling how people don't think it could also have the opposite effect?

A determination to finish the job they have worked so incredibly hard for?

9 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

People keep saying this, but to me, it's baffling how people don't think it could also have the opposite effect?

But it's not seen as typically going that way, hence why people look at the other end of spectrum.

I do not have the stats to hand but would imagine there is a correlation to back up the theory.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

The team finishing 3rd has only been promoted twice in the last 6 seasons.

Although, if you're one for superstition, that team is due to be promoted this season:

11/12:  West Ham (3rd)
12/13:  Crystal Palace (5th)
13/14:  QPR (4th)
14/15:  Norwich City (3rd)
15/16:  Hull City (4th)
16/17:  Huddersfield Town (5th)

• Like 1

I still don’t think 2nd is done and dusted. Cardiff have 2 difficult away games still. If they lose next Tuesday (I expect them to turn over Forest) it all of a sudden puts pressure on them to get a result at Hull (a draw won’t do them)  

Fancy Fulham to just take it off them. 

What is annoying is that I can’t remember them ever having a key player injured like we have had all season. 

Also, Derby having to get something from their next 2 games is a blessing really, just in time before playing Cardiff 

Edited by deeps

33 minutes ago, bobzy said:

The team finishing 3rd has only been promoted twice in the last 6 seasons.

Although, if you're one for superstition, that team is due to be promoted this season:

11/12:  West Ham (3rd)
12/13:  Crystal Palace (5th)
13/14:  QPR (4th)
14/15:  Norwich City (3rd)
15/16:  Hull City (4th)
16/17:  Huddersfield Town (5th)

It’d be interesting to see what form those teams were in before going up. Huddersfield chucked their last league game last year and hD 3 draws to go up I think. Does form mean anything? Or is it the lottery people claim? And by lottery I mean form goes out the window.