17/18 Promotion Charge

dont_do_it_doug.

22 minutes ago, Eastie said:

How about the last 20 games ;)

As I said earlier villa Fulham is a 50/50 chance for me - we aren’t going to play them home or away and if we do meet in the final hopefully our experience will help swing it our way .

Having watched many years of Play offs I think it’s safe to assume they are all 50:50 and who turns up + gets the luck.

1 minute ago, Eastie said:

Apart  from league positions ;)

As I say, if people want to see Fulham as a better side they will, and vice versa. There’s no meaningful statistical difference.

For me, I prefer to reserve my praise for the Villa wherever remotely possible !

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, terrytini said:

You do know you neither have to debate it nor read the debate others are having ? If you avoid the thread helpfully titled “ promotion” you’d never know there was a debate !

Sorry I didn't mean it to sound like I had a problem with it. What I meant was it would be nice to have a conclusion. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Eastie said:

Let’s not assume Cardiff are up yet - fulham will still fancy catching them but can not afford to drop another point - Millwall is tricky but their last 2 against Sunderland and blues look easy enough 

But see the baggies result to show its never a foregone conclusion. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, vreitti said:

Fulham have last lost a game Dec 16, we lost that same day, and have lost 5 times since. The business end of the season. I think it's pretty clear their run has been better than ours, also they are above us, with a good shot at automatics still.

Just watch them play... they are miles better than us... imho, sadly. So no I don't agree, there's plenty between us.

I do watch them play, I posted extensively on it yesterday, whether you think the are better than us is purely opinion. I don’t think they are, you do. Fine, the points totals don’t bear out a significant difference, nor the head to heads, but you are welcome to your view and I’ll stick with mine.

Not sure if you saw the post where our records over the last 36 games are identical. Identical. Indeed they’ve had a good unbeaten run , and they needed every point of it. If you don’t think it’s close fair enough. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, terrytini said:

Well, ....I think the two sides have been very equal, as evidenced by the table, the head to heads, and the running total of Points where the most we were ever ahead was 10 points which isn’t a lot in this League....we really only had a good lead for 7 weeks....the most they’ve been ahead is 5....as the following running total of Points shows....Villas total first....

1-1/1-2/1-3/4-3/5-6/6-7/7-10/10-10/13-11/16-14/19-17/19-18/22-18/23-19/26-19/26-19/29-20/32-23/35-26/36-26/37-29/37-29/38-32/38-35/41-36/44-39/47-42/50-45/53-48/56-51/59-52/59-55/60-56/63-59/66-62/69-65/69-68/69-69/70-72/73-75/73-78/76-81/79-82

Nice work, from that 36-26 to the 79-82 it's fair to say they've been a bit more equal than us ;) 

Less dramatic than I thought though their rise up the table.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, terrytini said:

As I say, if people want to see Fulham as a better side they will, and vice versa. There’s no meaningful statistical difference.

For me, I prefer to reserve my praise for the Villa wherever remotely possible !

Surely the meaningful statistical difference is the league table ?

There is not much between us granted you old rascal ;)

i personally would feel far more confident against anyone other than Fulham from the contenders .

Edited by Eastie
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, terrytini said:

Well there are many ways of viewing it, I’m sure they say the same.....you mention if we had not had one of those poor runs we’d be second".....could argue it’s even simpler ..had  we beaten Cardiff and Fulham away the table would look very different !

2nd - Villa 85 Points Goal Diff at least +32

3rd - Cardiff 80 Points Goal diff at best +26

4th Fulham 79 Points Goal diff at best +28

:)

That would be doing it the hard way, there was so much lower hanging fruit for us to take and we fell on our arses instead.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, terrytini said:

I'm Villa through and through.....in my eyes Villa are better than anyone !!!!!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, imavillan said:

I'm Villa through and through.....in my eyes Villa are better than anyone !!!!!

Agree, I’ve kind of always thought that was the point.

Ive never sung “ and it’s Aston Villa FC, we are by far the most fairly average, non descript, bottling bunch of losers The World has ever seen”.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sam3773 said:

Regardless of what they say in public, both Cardiff and Fulham are fighting for 2nd. Their sights, hopes, dreams and ambition is 2nd.

One will fail. That kind blow, particularly if it comes down to the last day, goal difference, etc, will play a mental part in the play offs. 

Hopefully us coming to terms with it over the next month will make us better prepared. We are heading for the playoffs, let's boss them. 

yeah. I think whoever comes 3rd is the right team to face in the final, IF we both make it there.

Edited by a m ole

1 minute ago, Sam3773 said:

Regardless of what they say in public, both Cardiff and Fulham are fighting for 2nd. Their sights, hopes, dreams and ambition is 2nd.

One will fail. That kind blow, particularly if it comes down to the last day, goal difference, etc, will play a mental part in the play offs. 

Hopefully us coming to terms with it over the next month will make us better prepared. We are heading for the playoffs, let's boss them. 

That's a good point. Whoever misses out on second out those two teams will be pretty demoralised. We'd had longer to accept that playoffs is the likely out come so should be more mentally prepared for it.

54 minutes ago, thabucks said:

Compare squad costs .

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/championship-squad-cost-2018-villa-1428254.amp

Watch Fulham regularly as the village where I live we share a season ticket and they are fantastic to watch.. villa not so much.... Thats down to the choice of manager  and the choices made by the manager.... 

All well and good but I wasn’t talking about costs. 

As soon as you do that you are discussing whether we have done as well as we should etc.

Ive simply been pointing out that results wise, this season, there’s little to choose.

Really it’s astonishing that something as simple as that has been in the least contentious.

As to how good each is to watch, I’m getting tired of saying it, but just because you prefer one to the other doesn’t make it a fact. And why should you or anyone else that likes how Fulham play be so bothered about other people thinking different ?

Perhaps there a clue in the last sentence where we go back to basically criticising our Manager. 

So the point I originally made is exactly as it was, which is for me there’s little difference in the teams, either in results, as a fact, or in entertainment, as an opinion.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, thabucks said:

Compare squad costs .

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/championship-squad-cost-2018-villa-1428254.amp

Aston Villa Squad Cost: £67.8m

Fulham Squad Cost: £37.4m

This is obviously squad cost over a number of years and would include money pissed up the wall likes of McCormack, Richards, Tshibola, Gollini who are all still on the books. Those four alone adds up to around 27 mill and none of them have kicked a ball for us this season.

Squad cost is hardly an indication of where you should be in the league as it assumes the money has been spent well and in terms of at our club much of it before Bruce arrived wasn't.

• Like 1