17/18 Promotion Charge

dont_do_it_doug.

On 15/04/2018 at 13:39, Eastie said:

Doesn’t xia have to pay Lerner an extra payment if we win promotion this season ? Could be a costly summer for recon with major signings needed too ,  if promoted - dig deep doc .

Well if that's true then the money will need to be paid by Xia / Recon not Aston Villa, so it wont affect our budget. Xia will want to spend more than what FFP allows anyway so it wont restrict our spending. 

5 hours ago, dn1982 said:

It’d be interesting to see what form those teams were in before going up. Huddersfield chucked their last league game last year and hD 3 draws to go up I think. Does form mean anything? Or is it the lottery people claim? And by lottery I mean form goes out the window. 

I’ve enjoyed watching the Championship for many years.

Based on the many games I’ve seen I would certainly say the Play Offs are a complete lottery.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, terrytini said:

Based on the many games I’ve seen I would certainly say the Play Offs are a complete lottery.

Only 3 days between the first and 2nd legs in the semi finals and then a 12 day rest before the final - let’s hope it all ends in celebration down at Wembley - it is no place for losers and the financial stakes will be massive on one game - hopefully the play offs will see decent referees .

8 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

If we make Wembley i'll be there, unless its Millwall, then I might give it a miss.

I see what you mean but I would love it if we played them at Wembley rather than Fulham or Cardiff.

• Like 1

Is there a thread anywhere where people are talking about dates for Semi Finals. 

From what I can gather assuming we finish fourth and would therefore be game B that would make our two games as being Sat May 12th at 5.15 and Tuesday 15th at 7.45pm. Annoyingly I am currently booked up for both which is going to be a pain to sort out. 

Have I got anything wrong there? 

4 minutes ago, villaglint said:

Is there a thread anywhere where people are talking about dates for Semi Finals. 

From what I can gather assuming we finish fourth and would therefore be game B that would make our two games as being Sat May 12th at 5.15 and Tuesday 15th at 7.45pm. Annoyingly I am currently booked up for both which is going to be a pain to sort out. 

Nope you are correct, but the annoying thing is we could finish 3rd so the dates could change 

but 90% certain we will finish 4th 

5 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Nope you are correct, but the annoying thing is we could finish 3rd so the dates could change 

but 90% certain we will finish 4th 

110% chance we finish 2nd. 

• Haha 1

On 09/04/2018 at 21:01, ViewFromT2 said:

26 isn't young in my opinion. Strikers should be at their peak between 26-29. Not saying he is a poor player by any stretch, but he wouldn't be an exciting signing would he?

I think the fact he cost that much money highlights just how exaggerated the transfer market is.....ridiculous really isn't it?...but that's another argument. In respect of that however, surely the authorities need to look again at the FFP levels? Teams can only lose a max of £35m per season in the Premier League....and when players like him are costing £18.5m, what chance has any club got of breaking into that elite 6?

Ask Leicester.....

1 hour ago, villaglint said:

Yes, you’ve got yourself booked up when you should’ve kept May free for the Villa...:)

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, terrytini said:

Yes, you’ve got yourself booked up when you should’ve kept May free for the Villa...:)

She won't be able to manage them all:D

hush my mouth!

Edited by TRO
  • Like 3

16 minutes ago, Eastie said:

Cardiff could clinch promotion next Tuesday if they win at derby and also beat forest at home on Saturday , providing Millwall beat Fulham on Friday night .

Aston Villa can clinch promotion against Millwall providing Cardiff only get 5 points from 4 games and Fulham only get 5 points from 3 games. Oh Villa win all 3 games. 

• Like 1

On 16/04/2018 at 20:38, terrytini said:

So it doesn't matter how well you play? It's just a complete toss of a coin as to who wins? No skill involved whatsoever? Because that's what a lottery is. 

Also, if it's a lottery, how come the team in 3rd gets promoted more often than the team's in 4th, 5th or 6th? That would be consistent with a game of skill and ability over a game of pure chance would it not?

Edited by One For The Road
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, omariqy said:

Aston Villa can clinch promotion against Millwall providing Cardiff only get 5 points from 4 games and Fulham only get 5 points from 3 games. Oh Villa win all 3 games. 

Not so bad to be honest.

4 hours ago, omariqy said:

Yep. That is going to be so sweet.

1 hour ago, One For The Road said:

So it doesn't matter how well you play? It's just a complete toss of a coin as to who wins? No skill involved whatsoever? Because that's what a lottery is. 

Also, if it's a lottery, how come the team in 3rd gets promoted more often than the team's in 4th, 5th or 6th? That would be consistent with a game of skill and ability over a game of pure chance would it not?

I will clarify, seeing as you asked so nicely....

Skill is indeed involved, but all participants have that.

It isn’t, indeed, a true lottery which as you wisely observe would mean all outcomes were happening equally.

But it is “ a lottery” in the commonly used vernacular, in as much as 3rd only goes up 36% of the time, 4th and 6th 18%, And 5th 28%

So - approximately - 3rd only goes up just over 1 year in 3, 4th and 6th one year in three, and 5th just over one year in three.

Were it purely on position, and if position equalled superiority of ability, it’d be reasonable to expect that ratio for third and fourth  to be higher.....hope that makes sense.

In addition, away from the Stats, it’s “ a lottery” in as much as there have been many many games where dominant sides don’t go through ( and by definition, vice versa). Similar to any Cup competition where anything can happen over 90 minutes.

So, yeah, in my view it’s a lottery.