17/18 Promotion Charge

dont_do_it_doug.

1 minute ago, NeilS said:

It does appear that we mess up when we get close, which is odd given the experience and promotions achieved within our squad. :angry:

True, then subs tonight was just awful, we’ll be lucky to stay in the playoffs if they play like that 

1 minute ago, NeilS said:

It does appear that we mess up when we get close, which is odd given the experience and promotions achieved within our squad. :angry:

Are the older experienced lads worn out ? JT has looked below his best and snodgrass and Elmo too seem to be out on their feet - as it’s play offs from here maybe secure our place and then freshen things up in the last few games to keep the big players fresh and ready for the play off lottery .

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Eastie said:

Are the older experienced lads worn out ? JT has looked below his best and snodgrass and Elmo too seem to be out on their feet - as it’s play offs from here maybe secure our place and then freshen things up in the last few games to keep the big players fresh and ready for the play off lottery .

Yep that’s what i’m thinking. Just get through the next 3/4 games, ensure we’re going to remain in the play offs, then rest the key players ala Huddersfield. 

I’m trying to look at the final run in now with a view that the pressure presumably will have eased off and as such there will be a more relaxed atmosphere, with it all building to the play offs. Maybe getting Kodija back to full match fitness so he can save the day.

I'll assume we make the playoffs. We could bottle it, but not likely.

It's crucial we turn this around before playoffs. On a good day we beat anyone. On a bad day anyone beats us. 

Edited by AVTuco

Out of the running for the automatic promotion hunt...

But just remember Steve Bruce has been promoted four times, Jack Grealish once had a really good game against Liverpool at Wembley and John Terry has won more than most teams in this league.

Embarrasing

When you look at the squad that we have assembled and the money we have spent we should be picking up wins at the same rate as Wolves and Cardiff. This is both the players for the sudden lack of drive to ensuring we maintain our run, and the manager for being completely tactically inept.

24 minutes ago, KJT123 said:

I think we're done. You think this side are going to be able to turn over the likes of Fulham or Middlesbrough in the playoffs? I don't see how we can when we play like this. I wonder how many years we'll be down here?

Be the new Forest mate

19 minutes ago, Eastie said:

I think you could be right, the games have come thick and fast these last few weeks, it is a long season and our players are not getting any younger.

Hopefully the international break will help our players freshen up for the final push. Play offs looks our only route now, unless Cardiff mess up which could happen I guess, but I am not counting on it.

Is there a little break of a week or so between the end of season and play offs, or is it straight down to business?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Question now is can we hang on and remain in the play offs. I'm not confident 

It's still looking better than several months ago.  At that point, a few optimists thought we might get automatic, most thought we would get playoffs, and quite a few were very concerned that we seemed utterly unable to beat any of the better teams and therefore playoffs would be a futlie exercise.

Now, we seem to be headed for the playoffs, but we do seem at least able to beat some of the better teams, once in a while.

It's disappointing, but at least a few wins against good teams gives a degree of hope that would have been unfounded back then.

I know it's not much, but there you go.

• Like 1

There are now two important things that will make a difference to the playoffs.

• How we recover our momentum and find some sort of form between now and then.
  • How Fulham deal with missing out on second place tomorrow

If we can find form and Fulham struggle for motivation then we're still in it.

Last time Bruce got through the playoffs with Hull he underachieved with possibly the best squad in the division. Brighton were easily the best team of the playoff candidates but had some horrific luck with injuries which put them out, and Hull were left with beating a poor Sheff Wednesday team in the final.

So I certainly wouldn't rule us out of getting up via the playoffs, even if we aren't the best team.

• Haha 1