17/18 Promotion Charge

dont_do_it_doug.

Just now, Dr_Pangloss said:

Fulham are going to rape us in the playoffs.

Fulham fell apart in the second half today. We’ve had form this season the same as Fulham. We’re 3rd and 4th as we’re both inconsistent. If we both always played to our full capabilities we’d be top 2. 

We look like a team that will likely finish 4th, in all honesty. Not consistent enough for automatics.

8 points ahead of Bristol which is enough room for us to build ourselves back up over the next 2 weeks and plan for play-offs. Back to basics, stop chasing the win and start putting in performances again.

4 minutes ago, villan-scott said:

Fulham fell apart in the second half today. We’ve had form this season the same as Fulham. We’re 3rd and 4th as we’re both inconsistent. If we both always played to our full capabilities we’d be top 2. 

I was surprised how well qpr played today and Fulham were treading water in the 2nd half - play offs are anyone’s - it’s all about who performs on the day and does the business - I worry we are to hit and miss and it depends which Villa turns up in the play offs - we could win the final or just as easily get turned over in the semis . 

‘Play off victory at Wembley would be incredible but it’s a lottery 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Eastie said:

Are the older experienced lads worn out ? JT has looked below his best and snodgrass and Elmo too seem to be out on their feet - as it’s play offs from here maybe secure our place and then freshen things up in the last few games to keep the big players fresh and ready for the play off lottery .

Well I agree that would be the sensible thing to do, albeit with the caveat that we need to have some momentum as we get to the playoffs. I’m not so sure that Bruce will take that approach though, given that towards the end of last season we had about 5 games which were effectively dead rubbers but he refused to experiment and look at players for the future. 

2 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

I’m not sure Steve Bruce needs much encouragement to not chase the win. 

sorry I mean allowing ourselves to be in a position where we have to. The games we’ve slipped up in we’ve conceded sloppy goals early and had to force the issue to get points back. We’re not good against teams who can sit back and control the game physically.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, maqroll said:

Playoffs at Wembley will be the most exciting Villa games since MON era top 4 challenges. But not getting promoted this year would be crushing.

3 games that will define this club for a long long time. With how FFP looks not promoting will be a huge setback. Could well become another Forest. 

31 minutes ago, Alakagom said:

3 games that will define this club for a long long time. With how FFP looks not promoting will be a huge setback. Could well become another Forest. 

It's basically make or break. If we reach the final it will be one of the most important games in the clubs history. 

Best we can home for is derby in play offs and a one off game vs fulham.

I still cant believe we beat wolves 4-1 and these bottlers only go onto lose 3-1 against QPR and then 1-0 bolton.

Fecking bottlers 

7 minutes ago, Jareth said:

I think I have become either unhinged, or entirely disconnected to reality, but my thinking is that if Cardiff lose tomorrow, we still have a chance. If they win, then nope. 

If Cardiff lose maybe Fulham have a chance - we have blown ours and will slip up again in the run in - Bolton and qpr wanted it more and fought harder with more desire and passion - that is extremely worrying !

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, VillaJ100 said:

It's basically make or break. If we reach the final it will be one of the most important games in the clubs history. 

Possibly the most important in some ways - shit or bust !

1 hour ago, maqroll said:

Playoffs at Wembley will be the most exciting Villa games since MON era top 4 challenges. But not getting promoted this year would be crushing.

I think it could be disastrous for the future of the club.  If you don't bounce back quickly you might not bounce back at all, look at Sheffield Wednesday, Nottingham Forest, Leeds United, Blackburn Rovers (etc).  We've got an owner who talks the talk, but if the club fail to get promotion this season then we really will see how committed Xia is because the good players we have in the squad look to move on, money starts drying up and we've got to rebuild while rationing.  This year was shit or bust in my opinion.  These couple of results have been awful, but the piss poor form in August and September left us with little wiggle room and we probably used up more than we should in December.  The club will make the playoffs, if they don't then everybody in the squad should be thoroughly ashamed of themselves, but I think now is the time for guys like John Terry to pick the squad up by the scruff of the neck and drag us over the line.   

• Like 4

A lot of clubs have a couple of stabs in that play off zone before going up 

some clubs miss out and flirt with bottom half and even relegation the following season 

with the age of our squad we are probably in the later category so we’d better hope we can   Grind out a play off win 

hes good at getting teams up so I’m not ruling us out , but equally I’m not confident 

1 hour ago, The_Rev said:

I think it could be disastrous for the future of the club.  If you don't bounce back quickly you might not bounce back at all, look at Sheffield Wednesday, Nottingham Forest, Leeds United, Blackburn Rovers (etc).  We've got an owner who talks the talk, but if the club fail to get promotion this season then we really will see how committed Xia is because the good players we have in the squad look to move on, money starts drying up and we've got to rebuild while rationing.  This year was shit or bust in my opinion.  These couple of results have been awful, but the piss poor form in August and September left us with little wiggle room and we probably used up more than we should in December.  The club will make the playoffs, if they don't then everybody in the squad should be thoroughly ashamed of themselves, but I think now is the time for guys like John Terry to pick the squad up by the scruff of the neck and drag us over the line.   

I think it works both ways with Dr Tone.  If we go up we're going to need to spend the GDP of a medium sized country just to be able to compete.

Thinking that the squad we have now, without the loan players and probably Terry, will be anything less than whipping boys in the top flight is nothing less than fanciful.

We're at a funny stage in the history of our storied club.  We're at a funny stage in the history of football in this country too.  Clubs like us are just the collateral damage.

But the board have been very public with the strategy about using short term signings (loans, older players) to get us up then rebuilding again once we are up.  I've always questioned it, seems odd from multiple points of view, firstly rebuilding a squad in a single transfer window is easier said than done and often ends in disaster, secondly how motivated are the players in the squad now likely to be if they know they are out the door in the summer anyway?   The club is built on a house of cards at the moment.  I'd love us to go up and really fear the worst if we don't.  It will be an even bigger kick in the teeth if Derby turn Cardiff over tomorrow because we've failed to capitalise on winnable fixtures. The fact that just one week after thumping Wolves and putting genuine pressure on Cardiff we have basically given them a free game tomorrow where it really doesn't matter if they lose. 

• Like 1