17/18 Promotion Charge

dont_do_it_doug.

We are currently in the process of doing "a Derby". We have blown automatic promotion at the start of the promotion run-in and now look like arriving at the lottery that is the play-off's on the crest of a slump. We have made it easy for Cardiff and if anyone is going to press them it will be Fulham rather than us. Getting into the play-off's is not quite a done thing yet and getting to Wembley will need us being at our best in the first two play-off games. Who knows if we do get there we may face someone other than Fulham.

• Like 1

Let's not forget with the rebuild bruce has left us needing potentially THREE cbs next season. Pathetic planning from him.

Also how do we even know chester will want to stick Around?? We could literally have no cbs next season.

We need Bruce to be clever with the squad now between now and the end of the season. Pretty much like Wager was last year with Huddersfield. 

We need to ensure a playoff spot whilst keeping players fresh for the playoffs. 

Try and pick up 3 more wins then rest all the big players. 

4 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Let's not forget with the rebuild bruce has left us needing potentially THREE cbs next season. Pathetic planning from him.

Also how do we even know chester will want to stick Around?? We could literally have no cbs next season.

And new midfield. Thor, Jedinak and Whelan are barely good enough for championship, never mind the PL should we get there. Hourihane is hit and miss and Lansbury can't even get a look in. 

Changes will be needed whatever league we are playing in next season. 

I had a horrid gut feeling after the Wolves win that we would mentally relax afterwards and it seems to have happened. Awful couple of results. Can only hope something similar happens to Cardiff and they either think they are home & hosed and also drop their form or run out of steam. Can't see it happening though can you to them and that highlights the issue with us. Out of Fulham, Cardiff & us we just seem more likely to cock things up than they do. Our form is all over the shop from what i've seen having been to games against Derby, Burton, Preston, Sheff Utd & Peterborough in the cup.  whereas they both appear more consistent. We seem to blow hot & cold and have done all season.

Just hope that if we make the playoffs we have a blowing hot spell :rolleyes:

I actually think we might have a chance in the playoffs. At least now we’ve got 2 months to get used of the idea of the playoffs, there will be no last day dissapointment of missing out on automatic promotion.

Also, I’m fairly sure Hull pretty much went off the boil the year they won the playoffs, and managed to rally in time for the playoffs.

If we fail, Bruce goes, it’s that simple for me.

To be honest, I think our game should have been called off as well, given that the ball wouldn't roll in a straight line or bounce true on a number of occasions, but never mind. 

The over-reactions in this thread are getting a bit much. We have a very healthy gap over 7th place. Yes, our position in the playoffs will be at risk if we lose, say, the next three or four games as well, but we are actually better than most teams in this division, so we won't. We'll make the playoffs. The ambition should be to make it in 3rd. 

• Like 4

I take full responsibility for our plight having recently suggested this thread should be renamed the race for the championship thread. Its all on me, sorry folks. 

37 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

To be honest, I think our game should have been called off as well, given that the ball wouldn't roll in a straight line or bounce true on a number of occasions, but never mind. 

The over-reactions in this thread are getting a bit much. We have a very healthy gap over 7th place. Yes, our position in the playoffs will be at risk if we lose, say, the next three or four games as well, but we are actually better than most teams in this division, so we won't. We'll make the playoffs. The ambition should be to make it in 3rd. 

Have to admit despite being unhappy I found it ridiculous the state of the pitch first half.

It made it a complete nightmare to defend against. Funny second half they cleared it up.

But the pitch was a disgrace overall. Players were falling over. 

But despite that no excuses for such apoor performance yet again. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Czechlad said:

Are we even confident we can stay in a playoff spot with our form?

What, our form of the last two, or our form of winning the majority of the last 15 games?

Obviously if we dont win another game we'll probably miss out, but that would be Sunderland type form

Even I dint think we will drop out the top six but fir me we have to finish 3rd or 4th. Having second leg at villa park could be vital. I think playing derby in play offs would be best scenario. It’s unlikely we would play Fulham in a two leg game unless one of those will implode

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

No other team in the top 5 are losing because they can' be arsed. It's not the time to start letting off the gas, typical Villa is all I can say.

We're not special. Sometimes teams lose. The last two performances haven't been acceptable at all but I don't think it's a case of them simply not being arsed.

4 hours ago, Kingman said:

Derby/Cardiff Is Off!

This is a positive for me, as the fixture congestion for April is already mental, so they’ll need to squeeze another game in, and they’ll be tired no doubt with 10 games or so in April! 

• Like 2